*NEW* Fenix PD35 Tactical Edition,tactical mode and outdoor mode,XP-L LED,1000 lumens

Status
Not open for further replies.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I chose to bypass the PD35 2014 because I had my original PD35 and I could not justify the upgrade. But the fact this is a round 1000 lumens is enough, on top of the fact it will be 150 lumens better AND be a tighter beam. So for me the time is now.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the entire PD/UC35 series are essentially 1000 lumen lights depending on power source. My opinion is that the TAC just seems to have more throw range due to having a more narrow and well defined hot spot but is likely the same as the rest of the series. Until Selfbuilt or Flashlion, Kj2 etc come along with legit testing gear we wont really know for sure. My personal favorite of the series is the UC35 due to it having an inch more metal behind the head resulting in superior heat sinking. Love the low wide cooling fins machined into the USB portion of the UC35. Love the glow in the dark mode switch etc. Im going to have to measure but I believe the TAC is also the shortest of the series.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
To guys who own this light, would you like it more or less if it had a XPL HI instead?

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
the entire PD/UC35 series are essentially 1000 lumen lights depending on power source. My opinion is that the TAC just seems to have more throw range due to having a more narrow and well defined hot spot but is likely the same as the rest of the series. Until Selfbuilt or Flashlion, Kj2 etc come along with legit testing gear we wont really know for sure. My personal favorite of the series is the UC35 due to it having an inch more metal behind the head resulting in superior heat sinking. Love the low wide cooling fins machined into the USB portion of the UC35. Love the glow in the dark mode switch etc. Im going to have to measure but I believe the TAC is also the shortest of the series.

I think the dimensions and design is about the same if I recall. I will know better tomorrow or the next day when I get mine. I have the PD32 UE, PD35 Original and soon the PD35 TAC. However I do not have a PD35 2014 to compare to. Does anyone have any data/experiences to share on the difference between PD35 original vs the 2014?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
To guys who own this light, would you like it more or less if it had a XPL HI instead?
Of course! That will be so sweet! The only reason why I am buying this is to replace the Surefire E1DL as a backup light mainly for the throw department in which my HDS fails to provide. If an XP-L HI could provide twice the throw then I am game for it.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, got the PD35 TAC from the post office and my initial impression was pretty good. I will be honest. I really dislike a light that forces the user to cycle through outputs but the availability of the tactical interface is real nice. Not too sure if I like having the strobe mode in the tactical interface but I can easily click through it to get to low and I think that's good enough.

Beam color is good enough, although not the best since it is quite cool. Tint is near to coolish white on the hot spot with a very very slight greenish tint on the corona (almost unnoticeable unless white wall hunting) and a pretty white side spill. Can't really complain on the tint. It is probably still one of the best cool white tints, well at least it is not greenish as with most Surefire lights today.

As I mentioned previously, I am looking for a light that is compact enough to slight into my jeans pocket and yet packs a punch when needed. It is meant to replace the Surefire E1DL. Nothing is wrong with the E1DL. I love it, runs off RCR123 even though it is not advertised and the tint is great, but I just needed something that runs off an 18650 and the PD35 TAC fits that role perfectly. What's best, I have a bunch of slightly oversized Xtar 3400mah batteries that only fits in my 18650 version Malkoff Hound Dog (MD2 tube with new bigger bore diameter), Predator Pro V2.5, and Nitecore TM26. The Xtar 18650 now fits nicely in the Fenix PD35 TAC.

As for throw, this light isn't a thrower. The throw is about on par with the Surefire E1DL which is rated at 300 lumens but man it has a lot of side spill! If anyone of you is buying this light and expecting to see a thrower then you will be in for a great disappointment. Maybe it does throw a tad better than the PD35 (2014 version), but it probably is only by a small margin. Other than a couple of keychain lights from Fenix and some LD12 which I have given away as gifts, I don't actually own any other Fenix lights so I can't really comment on the PD35 (2014 version). Please don't take me seriously when I mentioned about the PD35 (2014 version) above as it is just pure conjecture on my part.

Unlike some here who bought this light for general use and may prefer the more floody beam, I am buying this more to play the EDCable throw light so as to fulfill what my HDS couldn't do. I wish Fenix will in no time acquire some XP-L HI and plant them in this light. That will make it a real winner!

Anodizing is great although I am not too sure how long it will last. I do realize many Chinese made lights come with pretty thin HAIII anodization as compared to many US made lights, so I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one. Can't blame me. I don't have much experiences with Fenix as a whole.

Battery tube internal is nice too! Always impressed when manufacturers incorporate springs on both positive and negative ends for shock protection on the batteries. Built quality feels superior and knurling felt good. Pocket clip held on tight enough and I doubt it will pop off that easily. I alined the clip to the side switch and finding the side switch in the dark is a real breeze using the clip as a guide. Someone mentioned about Fenix using trapezoidal threads in the PD35 now but mine came with square threads on both head and tail.

Overall, I think this light is a keeper. Those of you who are still on the fence with this. Go for it!

p.s. I am quite tied down lately and I am not sure if I could do some beam shots. If I have the time I will try to get some beam shots for you guys.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, got the PD35 TAC from the post office and my initial impression was pretty good. I will be honest. I really dislike a light that forces the user to cycle through outputs but the availability of the tactical interface is real nice. Not too sure if I like having the strobe mode in the tactical interface but I can easily click through it to get to low and I think that's good enough.

Beam color is good enough, although not the best since it is quite cool. Tint is near to coolish white on the hot spot with a very very slight greenish tint on the corona (almost unnoticeable unless white wall hunting) and a pretty white side spill. Can't really complain on the tint. It is probably still one of the best cool white tints, well at least it is not greenish as with most Surefire lights today.

As I mentioned previously, I am looking for a light that is compact enough to slight into my jeans pocket and yet packs a punch when needed. It is meant to replace the Surefire E1DL. Nothing is wrong with the E1DL. I love it, runs off RCR123 even though it is not advertised and the tint is great, but I just needed something that runs off an 18650 and the PD35 TAC fits that role perfectly. What's best, I have a bunch of slightly oversized Xtar 3400mah batteries that only fits in my 18650 version Malkoff Hound Dog (MD2 tube with new bigger bore diameter), Predator Pro V2.5, and Nitecore TM26. The Xtar 18650 now fits nicely in the Fenix PD35 TAC.

As for throw, this light isn't a thrower. The throw is about on par with the Surefire E1DL which is rated at 300 lumens but man it has a lot of side spill! If anyone of you is buying this light and expecting to see a thrower then you will be in for a great disappointment. Maybe it does throw a tad better than the PD35 (2014 version), but it probably is only by a small margin. Other than a couple of keychain lights from Fenix and some LD12 which I have given away as gifts, I don't actually own any other Fenix lights so I can't really comment on the PD35 (2014 version). Please don't take me seriously when I mentioned about the PD35 (2014 version) above as it is just pure conjecture on my part.

Unlike some here who bought this light for general use and may prefer the more floody beam, I am buying this more to play the EDCable throw light so as to fulfill what my HDS couldn't do. I wish Fenix will in no time acquire some XP-L HI and plant them in this light. That will make it a real winner!

Anodizing is great although I am not too sure how long it will last. I do realize many Chinese made lights come with pretty thin HAIII anodization as compared to many US made lights, so I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one. Can't blame me. I don't have much experiences with Fenix as a whole.

Battery tube internal is nice too! Always impressed when manufacturers incorporate springs on both positive and negative ends for shock protection on the batteries. Built quality feels superior and knurling felt good. Pocket clip held on tight enough and I doubt it will pop off that easily. I alined the clip to the side switch and finding the side switch in the dark is a real breeze using the clip as a guide. Someone mentioned about Fenix using trapezoidal threads in the PD35 now but mine came with square threads on both head and tail.

Overall, I think this light is a keeper. Those of you who are still on the fence with this. Go for it!

p.s. I am quite tied down lately and I am not sure if I could do some beam shots. If I have the time I will try to get some beam shots for you guys.
Nice review. I know you reference the PD35 2014 model, but I would be more interested in seeing some comparisons to the original PD35 since that is the only PD35 I had before. I chose to skip out on the 2014 model and wait for a 1000 >= lumen model. I was hoping mine would arrive today but it isn't looking good. Might be tomorrow which is a shame because I am busy tomorrow and may miss the delivery :/

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. I know you reference the PD35 2014 model, but I would be more interested in seeing some comparisons to the original PD35 since that is the only PD35 I had before. I chose to skip out on the 2014 model and wait for a 1000 >= lumen model. I was hoping mine would arrive today but it isn't looking good. Might be tomorrow which is a shame because I am busy tomorrow and may miss the delivery :/
I am curious to know too. Early reviews of the PD35 shows that Fenix is underrating their lumen output. Actual numbers have it pretty close to 1000 lumens instead of 850 lumens. Don't be surprised if you don't see any significant difference in the output between the two. At least you now have two output modes to choose from in a single light. For my usage I find the tactical UI mode friendly. I don't need all the other outputs except low and max, and the tactical interface allows easy switching of outputs, especially when I can do it easily with the tail switch. Wish I can do away with the strobe on the tactical interface but whatever... It is not too much of a hassle to toggle through one more output.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am curious to know too. Early reviews of the PD35 shows that Fenix is underrating their lumen output. Actual numbers have it pretty close to 1000 lumens instead of 850 lumens. Don't be surprised if you don't see any significant difference in the output between the two. At least you now have two output modes to choose from in a single light. For my usage I find the tactical UI mode friendly. I don't need all the other outputs except low and max, and the tactical interface allows easy switching of outputs, especially when I can do it easily with the tail switch. Wish I can do away with the strobe on the tactical interface but whatever... It is not too much of a hassle to toggle through one more output.

I would seriously hope it is adequately brighter. Logically IF my 850 lumen PD35 original is closer to 1000 lumens, firstly do you have any link to data which says this? secondly if Fenix does under-rate their lumens, then it would make sense that 1000 lumens on the PD35 TAC will be under-rated also and probably closer to 1150. But I cannot truly see Fenix under-rating and thus selling themselves short.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would seriously hope it is adequately brighter. Logically IF my 850 lumen PD35 original is closer to 1000 lumens, firstly do you have any link to data which says this? secondly if Fenix does under-rate their lumens, then it would make sense that 1000 lumens on the PD35 TAC will be under-rated also and probably closer to 1150. But I cannot truly see Fenix under-rating and thus selling themselves short.
Review done by Selfbuilt shows the 850 lumen PD35 firing at 980 lumen based on ANSI FL-1 standards.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-2xCR123A-RCR)-Review-BEAMSHOTS-RUNTIME-VIDEO

I was just wondering that Fenix may have over-rated their PD35 then but right now they may have been more spot on in their ratings? I doubt it is a case of Fenix selling themselves short but because of differences in emitter efficiencies, they are taking a more conservative numbers by showing the lowest possible lumen rating from the least efficient emitter.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
He even says:

There is a generally good concordance between my estimated lumens and Fenix published specs – except my measures are all somewhat higher. :rolleyes: As always, you have to consider my estimated lumens as a source of relative measures between lights (i.e., not to be taken as absolute values).

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilts results are pretty reliable actually as are Flashlions. He has to say they are not to be taken at absolute values because he doesnt have a 20 thousand dollar integrating sphere and hes not an ANSI official. His lightbox set up is pretty damn well done though. I have found his results over the years to be pretty dead on every time. My two "850" PD35's blast just as hard as the 2014 and 2015 versions so I believe his PD35 results. Selfbuilt really knows what hes doing when it comes to testing and he tests with ANSI approved lux meters etc. At the most vs a super expensive integrating sphere his results may be off a lumen or two his set up is just that good. The XP-L being more efficient than the XM-L2 I would expect to see no less than 1050 lumens on an 18650 and possibly 1120 on 2xCR123's. I like that Fenix underrates its lights. My 2015 TK35 for example rated by fenix at 960 lumens I would expect an actual output of 1020 in independent testing. Never seen a UC35 test done in the review section but Im pretty sure the results would vary 980-1050 lumens depending on power source just like the rest of the UC/PD35 line.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it strikes me if they underrate their lumen counts, that would be a cheap way to decide to just underrate the lumen count less on the new model and do very little to increase the brightness. I doubt they could get away with that. I think guys like that who do comparison testing I trust the comparative results. This result for this light vs that result for that light, but I trust Fenix's lumen rating as a single number more than others single number ratings as far as "as is" goes. My PD35 is 850 lumens, when I get my PD35 TAC (hopefully today) I am hoping to see the difference and get more throw out of it, how ever much that might be. 150 lumens increase is not absolutely massive, but it is a decent jump, not to mention a nice pleasing number. It is everything I was asking Fenix for a while back on twitter.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *NEW* Fenix PD35 Tactical Edition,tactical mode and outdoor mode,XP-L LED,1000 lm

Selfbuilts results are pretty reliable actually as are Flashlions... I have found his results over the years to be pretty dead on every time.

Here is what Selfbuilt thinks about the accuracy of his ratings:

"I tend to agree that my middle-lumen estimates (i.e., ~300-800 range) seem to be a bit higher than current norms suggest... I am noticing a somewhat consistently elevated result for my calibration in the ~300-800 lumen range, by about ~10% or so."

Source: Thrunite Neutron 2A (1xAA/14500 2xAA) and 2C (1xRCR/18650 2xCR123A/RCR) 2014 Review

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it strikes me if they underrate their lumen counts, that would be a cheap way to decide to just underrate the lumen count less on the new model and do very little to increase the brightness. I doubt they could get away with that. I think guys like that who do comparison testing I trust the comparative results. This result for this light vs that result for that light, but I trust Fenix's lumen rating as a single number more than others single number ratings as far as "as is" goes. My PD35 is 850 lumens, when I get my PD35 TAC (hopefully today) I am hoping to see the difference and get more throw out of it, how ever much that might be. 150 lumens increase is not absolutely massive, but it is a decent jump, not to mention a nice pleasing number. It is everything I was asking Fenix for a while back on twitter.
At that output, 150 lumens difference is not going to give you any noticeable difference. You will need a 2 to 4 times increase to see any drastic difference in the output. Maybe you will notice a very very slight difference but nothing you can't live without. In my opinion, nothing worth the excitement if I am already the owner of an 850 lumen PD35. Well, we shall see about that. Just can't wait for you to receive yours so we can all hear your opinion on it. Like I said, I don't have one and I am curious to find out.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well extra range and having a new light is enough for me. I know 150 lumens is not a vast increase, what with the eye detecting light logarithmically or what ever it is. But classicly 100+ lumen jumps have been pretty average between new lights till the big jumps in lumens.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well extra range and having a new light is enough for me. I know 150 lumens is not a vast increase, what with the eye detecting light logarithmically or what ever it is. But classicly 100+ lumen jumps have been pretty average between new lights till the big jumps in lumens.
Right on. That's what I want to know. Will you see an increase in throw? Can't wait to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.