NEW Fenix TK11 XP-G R5 and TK12 XP-G R5 - 18650 - 285 Lumens

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sold my TK12 which I regretted...and almost bought a new one. Glad I waited. I will let the detractors (who like the rest of us have not actually seen the light) say what they want, but I can't wait to get one. Simply because compared to Olight, Quark, and all the other 2 cell lights i have owned, The TK12 simply seems tougher and better made. Thanks for posting the thread!

Kirodragon

Newly Enlightened
It says the TK12 XP-G "Uses Two 3V CR123A Lithium batteries or one 18650 Li-ion battery".
The specs for the XR-E R2 says "Uses two 3v CR123A lithium batteries".
So maybe the XP-G ships with the 18650 body tube as standard.
:twothumbs if that's the case.

Edit: Hmm, just read the headline properly and OP already noted the 18650 part

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
It says the TK12 XP-G "Uses Two 3V CR123A Lithium batteries or one 18650 Li-ion battery".
The specs for the XR-E R2 says "Uses two 3v CR123A lithium batteries".
So maybe the XP-G ships with the 18650 body tube as standard.
:twothumbs if that's the case.

Edit: Hmm, just read the headline properly and OP already noted the 18650 part

It probably has just a slightly larger battery tube or is bored out but either way it is probably just one tube.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
The TK11 R2 already could use both as it shipped and that was just using one tube.

I imagine they'd use the same tube for the TK12 too now it's offering both out of the box.

Corvette6769

Newly Enlightened
Central Illinois USA, In a van down by the river
Fenix had a short run of them the first of the year.

See my post https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3224304&postcount=82

The First PD30-R4 that I received was defective, second one not impressive either. With that said, other reviews and YouTube videos showed the R4 to be far superior to both the PD30 R2 and Q5, both in terms of output and beam quality, so mine must have been on the short end of the LED lottery.

My EDC is my Fenix PD30 Premium Q5. Hopefully Fenix will revise the PD30 and at least give us a good XP-G R5 version soon.

The Cree XP-G S2 bin (493-520 lumens @ 1.5A) would be even a further improvement over the XPG R5 bin (463-493 lumens @ 1.5A).

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK XP-G in S2 is not available in the volume quantity, so it is unlikely that we will see them in flashlights soon.

hatman

Enlightened
The TK11 R2 already could use both as it shipped and that was just using one tube.

I imagine they'd use the same tube for the TK12 too now it's offering both out of the box.

Agreed. My TK11R2 uses either two CR123as or one 18650s just fine.

The only reason I'm even considering the new TK12 is because Fenix doesn't make a clip for the TK11, and 4Sevens says the 12's clip won't fit the 11.

I won't buy another clipless light.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, the XP-E EagleTac T100C2 Mark II is the one the Fenix TK has to beat.

I was thinking in terms of the XP-G the TK has to beat the T20C2 MKII.

Edit: If you consider the price of $45 I don't think anything now or will ever beat the T100C2 and I don't even have the MKII only the MKI.

Last edited:

Corvette6769

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking in terms of the XP-G the TK has to beat the T20C2 MKII.

Edit: If you consider the price of $45 I don't think anything now or will ever beat the T100C2 and I don't even have the MKII only the MKI.
Yup! Apparently I have fallen behind regarding the new EagleTac offerings including the EagleTac P20C2 and T20C2 MKII XP-G R5. Looking now, I agree that the new EagleTac XP-G models will be the ones to beat, both in terms of performance and quality of beam. Seems to me that EagleTac has always been on the cutting edge (first to produce XP-E flashlights like the T100C2).

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup! Apparently I have fallen behind regarding the new EagleTac offerings including the EagleTac P20C2 and T20C2 MKII XP-G R5. Looking now, I agree that the new EagleTac XP-G models will be the ones to beat, both in terms of performance and quality of beam. Seems to me that EagleTac has always been on the cutting edge (first to produce XP-E flashlights like the T100C2).

It may not be that you fell behind as much as they moved rather quickly after the T/P100 models and I can't remember who actually did use XP-E first you may be right about it being Eagletac. I know ET and 4sevens Quark IIRC came out pretty close together. If any other brand used XP-E before these two I don't remember.

Edit: I looked at my past account on 4sevens and it shows I got my Quark CR123x2 XP-E in mid June 2009 and I got my P100C2 in mid May 2009 and I think I got the first batch of P100's I know I got the Quark at it's release.

Last edited:

Corvette6769

Newly Enlightened
It may not be that you fell behind as much as they moved rather quickly after the T/P100 models and I can't remember who actually did use XP-E first you may be right about it being Eagletac. I know ET and 4sevens Quark IIRC came out pretty close together. If any other brand used XP-E before these two I don't remember.

Edit: I looked at my past account on 4sevens and it shows I got my Quark CR123x2 XP-E in mid June 2009 and I got my P100C2 in mid May 2009 and I think I got the first batch of P100's I know I got the Quark at it's release.
Not sure of the actual release date, but I first saw the T100C2 on the EagleTac website on the afternoon of April 8, 2009.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure on the release date, but I first stumbled across the T100C2 on the afternoon of April 8, 2009.

lol thats pretty funny you remember the day you stumbled upon it, what a wonderful day.

I am a big Fenix fan at least I use to be but I'm just not convinced why I would need the XP-G TK11. The question for me is what does it have that the T20C2 MKII doesn't. It appears to have less lumens and I don't even know if Fenix still gives OTE or if they moved on to OTF. I try to stand by Fenix but am growing tired of them always being being behind other brands in emitters and innovation. It seems they never give any advanced info of future products anymore or maybe they never did I don't know.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

BMRSEB

Enlightened
Looks interesting.. I have a TK11 R2 and love it, great beam/throw, pretty much all around great light. Might consider this new TK11 XPG R5..;)

I also have an EagleTAC P20C2 MKII and it's really nice too. Obviously, it's brighter, has a floodier beam and throws almost as well as my Fenix TK11 R2.. Just my $0.02. :cool:

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
I've got an "older" TK11 (the 230 lumen version) that I don't really care for and the newer EagleTac P20C2 MarkII.

I've got a number of Fenix products, probably upwards of 8-10 of them and generally find them pretty good lights.

But this new light vs. the new Eagle Tac?

Sorry Fenix. You lose.

Brightness. Size. Weight. Removable strike bezel. Ultra-low setting.

Everything tilts towards Eagle Tac.

Time will tell if they are as durable and reliable.

John

ToNIX

Enlightened
Time will tell if they are as durable and reliable.

That's what makes me hesitate between Eagletac and Fenix.

I know that Fenix have proven to be reliable lights, and If your life depends on your light, that's essential. On a personal note, I really like the design of the TK11. It reminds me of the Surefire 6P.

And those beam shots are the R2 beamshots... They seem to be identical.

Last edited: