New guy... in awe!

woolfam

Newly Enlightened
I don't know what to say! I've been a flashlight fan all my life (44 years), but I did not know there were others like me! (The few people I've told looked at me a little funny.) And now, to stumble across a forum dedicated to the little captivating devices... it's like christmas and my birthday all wrapped up in one!

That's the good part, the bad part is that I thought my 3-D Mag was the top of the line, and now... I'm full of questions - manufacturers, styles, cost, modifications... I guess I'm gonna have to read every post!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Welcome to CPF!
grin.gif

Warning! Turn back now! This road is fraught with
danger.
grin.gif
Welcome and have lot's of fun, I know I have.

Hey! Welcome and be prepared for many sleepless nights reading about and drooling over all the awesome stuff here. I hope your pocketbook is prepared. If not, lock it away NOW
smile.gif
nah, just buy and be merry
smile.gif

Regards,
Randy

I'm full of questions - manufacturers, styles, cost, modifications...

Arc AAA. $25 shipped. Welcome to CPF, enjoy!

Welcome, those where my exact thoughts when I found this board also.
Here is a very quick run down
Arc AAA must have
Surefire = the best
The best = the most expensive
Streamlight = Very good
Underwater Kinetics = very good
Pelican = very good
Princeton Tec = very good
Mag = very well built very bad beam
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I too am a newby.Before finding this site I was quite content with my Mini-Mag.I now have a Proton 2,an Inova 5XT,an Infinity Ultra and not one but two Arc AAA's.My wife has started calling me "Blinky" and wears sunglasses indoors.The good news is I've stopped buying more knives....for now.
Mike

I've been here for perhaps a month.

My best stuff was Maglites. Although I am also a fan of slide switch, textured reflector 2 or 3D lights. Speaking of which I KNEW I had two Sams Value 3Ds - I found the other one in my Dads truck - and I found a Rayovac that is IDENTICAL in every way except for color in his tool chest. I am one happy camper!

Anyhow, I recommend two lights based on my ownership.

Pelican MityLite 2aaa. I carry it clipped at the back of my right front pocket. I used to carry a knife there, but who am I kidding? The SAK in my left front does knife duty.

And Princeton Tec Tec 40 4aa. With a kpr103 bulb and lithium AAs, it imitates the sun.

I also favor the Rayovac Industrial Swivel Top 2D though most here will slam me for it!

Welcome!

Welcome, you will find an unbelieveable amount of info here that you will be reading for days!
smile.gif

Ask any question you want but remember, there are no easy answers sometimes.
tongue.gif

I've been stuck here for about 10 months now & can't find my way out!
shocked.gif

You will also find many review sites people have put up from here that give flashlight reviews & tests.

Check these sites out:
grin.gif

LED Museum
Brock's flashlight & LED page
The LIGHT Site

There are many more...

I know precisely how you feel. I blundered into CPF a few months ago while wandering around in the American Self Defense Institute forums. I had suffered from flashlight fascination for many years - loved the things - and already owned at least twenty of them. This bizarre preoccupation irritated my wife mightily, and puzzled and confused friends who knew about my problem. I kept searching for the flashlight - all flashaholics know exactly what I mean - but I was profoundly ignorant of how to focus or organize my quest, and the dream became blurred, the hope confounded. I grew, to say it plainly, bored. Disillusioned. Who wouldn't, thinking Mag Lites were the pinnacle? I lugged a 6D around, pretending its ludicrous size proved it was a powerhouse, and developed muscular forearms.

When this weary, perplexed wanderer discovered CPF - yes, I describe it without shame as a discovery, a minor revelation, a glittery oasis in the desert of my faltering idealism - I was astounded. These people are as ill as I am! I thought. More ill, some of them! I had believed such a possibility so remote that it didn't merit serious consideration. But here they were, a bustling city of them, a neurotic, hyperactive swarm of brother obsessives, captivated by the same sublime vision of THE FLASHLIGHT.

These forums, my lucky friend, contain a treasure cove of information that is virtually endless. They will not only inspire and educate you, they will engulf you. You will wallow in them, and be joyful. And do yourself a big favor - buy a Surefire E2 or 6P; you will thunderstruck at how deceived you were before. These flashlights are simply incredible. You will not believe the quality and intensity of light which pour out of these small instruments. You will blush when you remember your former enchantment with Mag Lites. And wait until you get your hands on a decent LED flashlight.

I remain a true novice, but the amount I've learned in the past two months has startled even me. My addiction has become more suffocating, but much more fun. Welcome to our vortex!

Originally posted by Darkstar:
Warning! Turn back now! This road is fraught with danger.
grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Amen, ba-rudder!
grin.gif

I hope you're the first one to the credit card and checking account statements. This place has a bad habit of making a real dent.
grin.gif

Welcome aboard.

Basic CPF equipment:

E2E or E2
SF KL1 bezel
M2 or M3
Arc led light
EL X-ray
Scorpion
Pal Light
And don`t forget the mods!

That should get you started... for now!