*new* Lumintop SD10 - 1D cell light

kj2

Flashaholic
Found this light on the lumintop website. Do have some pics but no info further. Does anyone know more about this light?
Looks like it runs on a D-cell battery and uses a XM-L2 led.

r2w9ad.jpg
pn4p4.jpg

n6z0o2.jpg
2nhjlvl.jpg

This SD10 does look good though :)

edit;

Description
SD10 is on
e of the world's smallest, lightest and brightest 32650 searchlight. It is compatible with a wide range of batteries through intelligent control, and thus it has different outputs based on different battery types. It ensures not only enough brightness but also product stability and long runtime. With premium CREE XM-L2 T6 LED, its output reaches up to 800 lumens.

Construction:
1. Coated tempered window resists impact.
2. Aerospace aluminum uni-body design combined with a stainless steel retaining ring offers superior impact resistance. Mil-Spec hard-anodized. O-ring Sealed.
3. Front side switch.
4. Superb heat release system provides excellent heat transport capacity.
5. Slip-resistant body design.
6. Lengthened lanyard hole with tail-standing design.

Operation:
A. OFF State:
Press and hold the front side switch for more than 0.5 seconds to turn on the light, while another press for 0.5 seconds will turn the light off.
B. ON State:
Click the front side switch to switch between 3 output modes: High, Medium and Low. Double click the switch to enter into Strobe mode, after another click, the light will go back to original brightness. It memorizes last brightness level when the light is turned off, while Strobe will not be memorized.

Length 4.69 inches (120.3mm)Diameter 1.56 inches (40mm)
Weight 4.03 ounces (115g)

1×32650
10lm / 280h
100lm / 26h
800lm / 7.5h

3×AA
10lm / 150h
100lm / 15h
500lm / 6h

1×D
2lm / 60days
30lm / 80h
200lm / 7.2h

Last edited:

Bronco

Enlightened
Re: *new* Lumintop SD10

Cool. I've always thought that a compact 1xD form factor would have a lot of promise as a good emergency/home power outage type light.

I suppose what it really comes down to is, if we had more battery chemistry choices in the D cell category, then we'd see a lot more of these types of lights than we do today. Even if someone just manufactured D cell lithium primaries, I bet it would make a major difference in the popularity of this type of light. As it stands today, though, most knowledgeable folks would be very reluctant to put an alkaleak battery into precisely the type of emergency back up light that could routinely sit unused for months at a time.

Bronco

Enlightened

I think they do :) - Those have a white colour from what I remember.

edit; check here http://www.tenergy.com/Site/D-NiMH

Ah, very good. Thanks. :)

Looking at the photo gallery of the light on Lumintop's site, it also appears that the light will ship with a 3 AA to D battery carrier. That should open up the feeding options quite a bit.

I wonder what sort of moonlight mode this light might feature.

I also wonder if the light will be appreciably brighter when using the 3 AA to D carrier.

kj2

Flashaholic

I also wonder if the light will be appreciably brighter when using the 3 AA to D carrier.
I hope that this is not the case. If the specs are good enough for me, I'm planning on using it with a D-cell.
Have emailed Lumintop if they can give some more specs on this light.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like this. I'm surprised we have not seen something like this sooner. Should have nice runtime with a Tenergy type NiMh cell.

BTW - I would guess that the 3AA adapter has cells in parallel so it will still be 1.5 volts. So it would not be brighter.

jamjam

Newly Enlightened

One of dealer in China here actually show me a picture of him using SD10 with a 18650 wrapping in toilet paper, and it works! I am sure we can sort out some kind of 18650 to D cell adapter using house hold items, rather than toilet paper. LOL...

don.gwapo

Enlightened

I like it. Very simple straight design.

I can now use my one 8000mAh Tenergy Centura LSD sitting around coz my Rayovac Extreme lantern only needs 3xD.

Runtime will be good for just one battery.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey kj2 let us know if you here any additional info or specs. I am very interested in this light.

BTW- I think if you edited your header to include info that this is a "1D cell light" that it would get much more response. I almost missed this thread and I think many people would be interested.

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast

They had better have some lower output modes that work with cold & room temperature alkaline cells. 10 & 75 lumens.

kj2

Flashaholic
Hey kj2 let us know if you here any additional info or specs. I am very interested in this light.

BTW- I think if you edited your header to include info that this is a "1D cell light" that it would get much more response. I almost missed this thread and I think a many people would be interested.

Have add '1D cell light' to the header ;)

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think that most alkaline leaks are caused when there is more than one alkaline battery in the equation like your typical series connection. Maglite's are the classic example with 2 or more alkaline batteries in series and also remote controls. In fact, I am not sure if I have seen a consumer product that uses alkaline batteries in a parallel connection.

A single alkaline would probably not be too prone to leaking as I don't recall ever seeing even expired alkalines leak while in their package and not electrically connected to another alkaline battery. I am only sharing my experiences and others may have witnessed otherwise.

However, multiple alkalines leak like crazy!

Cool. I've always thought that a compact 1xD form factor would have a lot of promise as a good emergency/home power outage type light.

I suppose what it really comes down to is, if we had more battery chemistry choices in the D cell category, then we'd see a lot more of these types of lights than we do today. Even if someone just manufactured D cell lithium primaries, I bet it would make a major difference in the popularity of this type of light. As it stands today, though, most knowledgeable folks would be very reluctant to put an alkaleak battery into precisely the type of emergency back up light that could routinely sit unused for months at a time.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, this is a must purchase for me.

I will be happy if I get 100 lumens off a single NiMH D cell, and my Tenergy are 10,000mAh so should last a while.

bigC

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

It could be a great emergency light since many of us have D cells in Maglites, lanterns, kid's toys, etc. Also, since it comes with the 3xAA to D adapter most people would be covered since almost everyone has AA batteries laying around. My guess is that the adapter is a 3P connection. This looks nice for sure. Hopefully they will offer a neutral white version like they have with some of their other lights.

Norm

Retired Administrator

One of dealer in China here actually show me a picture of him using SD10 with a 18650 wrapping in toilet paper, and it works! I am sure we can sort out some kind of 18650 to D cell adapter using house hold items, rather than toilet paper. LOL...
Probably an 18500 an 18650 would be too long.

HDS makes a lithium 'D' cell

http://www.hdssystems.com/?id=LithiumDSo2Battery

But it is pricy!

HDS sells a lithium 'D' cell

"High power density. A "D" lithium/sulfur dioxide battery can produce 21Wh (7.5Ah at 2.8V) when being discharged at C/10"
C/10 = 750mA, Not suitable for high current draw, it is a primary cell.

Norm

Last edited: