New Maratac AAA Brass flashlight

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to have to redact my last comment up there about 4.2v 10440 and Li-ion and the Maratac Rev. 3. If you care about your Rev. 3 Maratac, don't put Li-ion in there, it will likely lose its modes from heat damage. The Rev.2 was made with different specs, is considered superior by all that have used both, and the copper version has much better heat transfer, so those with Rev.2 that have been running 10440 have had few problems. The Maratac Brass does not transfer heat as well as the Aluminum Maratac (brass head heats up, tube stays cold). Shouldn't be a problem with eneloop, alkaline or L92 Lithium, but is a problem with anything with more juice. Its possible the Maratac Rev. 3 copper can handle the extra heat of Li-ion, but you're risking $40 and invalidating warranty. Apologies to StandardBattery, whom I disagreed with... I'm turned back around now.

One should also note that the Maratac AAA Rev.3 Brass is definitely not machined from naval or admiralty brass. It is probably arsenical machining brass. Probably not an issue if you don't eat it, though I have a feeling, depending on the actual amount of arsenic, its actually illegal to sell in California due to their laws conserning arsenic, which extended to the brass commonly used for keys (but this is my conjecture).

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
So tempted to buy 1(the brass AAA,that is)...think I should go for it?

(I ended up buying a Peak Eiger brass AAA.)

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, if you want to gift it to a naval officer, or someone that likes brass... ok. Or if you have the copper but want something a little different, then have Vinh mod to 219B, but don't hot rod it. This brass has terrible thermal properties and any dreams of 10440, again, in my newly formed opinion after experiencing the brass Rev. 3, are ill conceived, and I apologize again for my misplaced enthusiasm and disagrement above. Aluminum and even stainless is better for heat disapation. If you don't mind the PWM, its just fine stock, but the action certainly isn't smooth like advertised. Maybe there's a very specific use for a brass light, if you need to avoid anything sparking, my understanding is brass won't create a spark if rubbed against something that normally would spark.

CountyComm's business makes no sense to me. They had a model, the Rev. 2, that was simply amazing, they couldn't keep it in stock (which in itself is absurd afa business). The Rev. 3 is just not that great. I'm going to pick up one more Maratac, the electroplated SS when it comes back in stock, for a mod, because I like the host. And unless they start selling T-shirts with that cool logo they have, I'll probably never patron them again. Lets hope they actually do listen to "thousands of requests" and bring back the Rev. 2 Cu.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
One should also note that the Maratac AAA Rev.3 Brass is definitely not machined from naval or admiralty brass. It is probably arsenical machining brass. Probably not an issue if you don't eat it, though I have a feeling, depending on the actual amount of arsenic, its actually illegal to sell in California due to their laws conserning arsenic, which extended to the brass commonly used for keys (but this is my conjecture).
Maratac Brass contains lead, but not arsenic. Company is and sells in California.
http://www.countycomm.com/aaabrass.html
"Flashlight body is machined of solid billet ultra conductive C360 Free Machining Brass ( Buttery Smooth ) Brass."
http://www.mcmaster.com/#8964kac/=wxqhmj

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I am so tempted to buy one but I know I would never really use it. I just wish I hadn't missed the old CR123A model. I'm not a triple A fan.

bartko09

Enlightened
I am so tempted to buy one but I know I would never really use it. I just wish I hadn't missed the old CR123A model. I'm not a triple A fan.

Someone was selling the Maratac Cu 123A a few nights ago.but it didn't last long lol

recDNA

Flashaholic
I probably wouldn't have missed it on CPFMP but I don't check the mall as often.

thefifth

Newly Enlightened
I love my Maratac Cu 123A and I just ordered the AAA Copper flashlight have to wait till January for the brass.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I learned that Brass conducts heat and electricity only 25% as well as copper, I will avoid it and hold out for Copper.

There is also a Lead problem with brass:

"To enhance the machinability of brass(link is external), lead is often added in concentrations of around 2%. Since lead has a lower melting point than the other constituents of the brass, it tends to migrate towards the grain boundaries in the form of globules as it cools from casting. The pattern the globules form on the surface of the brass increases the available lead surface area which in turn affects the degree of leaching. In addition, cutting operations can smear the lead globules over the surface. These effects can lead to significant lead leaching from brasses of comparatively low lead content."

I also just learned that even Brass keys have risk of Lead exposure:
"ordinary brass keys like you'll find in your pocket or pocketbook to lock and unlock your house door – may expose you to the toxic chemical lead"

hth

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow thanks for sharing that Jon, I had no idea brass could contain lead. I had considered getting the brass one but this confirms my suspicion to stick with either aluminum, titanium or copper. I really like my titanium Maratac AAA, it's been dropped multiple times while on my keychain and has held up nicely.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the BLF Kronos X5 Copper was being designed, there was also some discussion of lead. As I recall, many types of copper include low percentages of lead. Supposedly, the copper used for the X5 does not.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Minor lead poisoning, a small price to pay for enjoying your new brass flashlight!

:D

_nw

Newly Enlightened
Hahaha that sucks. Might as well rename the thread "New Maratac AAA Lead flashlight".

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perspective is important here, lead exposure from 360 brass is minute to meaningless in terms of a finished product unless you grind your flashlight up into dust and eat/inhale the dust. Aside from consumption of soluble lead or inhalation of fumes from molten lead, the danger is too low to be particularly worried about. For example, you can readily handle and work with lead shot for shotgun loads with little concern so long as you don't eat the shot, and you wash your hands of the lead, and that is working with pure lead...

So, enjoy your brass flashlight, and consider that the double cheeseburger you just ate is far likelier to cause significant damage and kill you first. Cheers!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I recall, many types of copper include low percentages of lead.

iirc Maratac copper has no Lead, but if you find out it does, please post a link to the info

otoh, Maratac Brass does have Lead, here are the links:

Flashlight body is machined of solid billet ultra conductive C360 Free Machining Brass

C360 brass has a lead content of 2.5% to 3.7%

exposure from 360 brass is minute to meaningless

Lead in Brass is not meaningless to the Attorney General of California.

If after reading post #29 including the links, the lead in brass is still meaningless to you, please offer some links to educate me on why the AG is wrong.

_nw

Newly Enlightened
So, enjoy your brass flashlight, and consider that the double cheeseburger you just ate is far likelier to cause significant damage and kill you first. Cheers!

I do agree with you, I was just having a laugh at the expense of CountyComm's PR department :)

_nw

Newly Enlightened
Here's something I found on the OSHA page for lead safety:

> Lead can be absorbed into your body by
> inhalation (breathing) and ingestion
> (eating). Lead (except for certain organic
> lead compounds not covered by the standard,
> such as tetraethyl lead) is not absorbed
> through your skin. When lead is scattered
> in the air as a dust, fume or mist it can
> be inhaled and absorbed through you lungs [sic]
> and upper respiratory tract. Inhalation of
> airborne lead is generally the most
> important source of occupational lead
> absorption.

The second paragraph of section II.

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=10031

Sounds hopeful, maybe avoid holding it in your mouth?

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe avoid holding it in your mouth?

good call, Lockyer also mentions not letting kids put keys in their mouth, quoted below

and thanks for the dust exposure info too. those occupational safety hazards in relation to manufacturing brass, make sense, since there is lead dust that can be inhaled in that setting

after smelting, lead also accumulates on the surface of brass objects like keys, during machining:
"handling keys – ordinary brass keys like you'll find in your pocket or pocketbook to lock and unlock your house door – may expose you to the toxic chemical lead at levels that exceed Proposition 65 limits," Lockyer said. "Given this discovery of lead exposure, parents may want to rethink using their jangling keys as a convenient toy for their toddlers and small children."

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's something I found on the OSHA page for lead safety:

> Lead can be absorbed into your body by
> inhalation (breathing) and ingestion
> (eating). Lead (except for certain organic
> lead compounds not covered by the standard,
> such as tetraethyl lead) is not absorbed
> through your skin. When lead is scattered
> in the air as a dust, fume or mist it can
> be inhaled and absorbed through you lungs [sic]
> and upper respiratory tract. Inhalation of
> airborne lead is generally the most
> important source of occupational lead
> absorption.

The second paragraph of section II.

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=10031

Sounds hopeful, maybe avoid holding it in your mouth?

I wonder how manage to survive all fishermen that operate lead weights :)

Last edited:

Latest posts