New Maratac AAA Brass flashlight

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast

iirc Maratac copper has no Lead, but if you find out it does, please post a link to the info

otoh, Maratac Brass does have Lead, here are the links:

Flashlight body is machined of solid billet ultra conductive C360 Free Machining Brass

C360 brass has a lead content of 2.5% to 3.7%

Lead in Brass is not meaningless to the Attorney General of California.

If after reading post #29 including the links, the lead in brass is still meaningless to you, please offer some links to educate me on why the AG is wrong.

Appreciate the links, but again the risk detailed is from ingestion by sucking on your fingers or the object in question, of all the daily health risks we subject ourselves to, or environmental sources such as pollution which we do not, brass is of limited concern.
It would interesting to see what the levels of exposure were for children when tetraethyl lead was still used in gasoline versus possible sources now.

Bad_JuJu

Newly Enlightened
If its so bad why do we firefighters still use brass for nozzles and couplings? I guess I should remember to not handle that 1.5" brass nozzle with my mouth anymore...:D

I understand there are small risks if certain things were to happen (consuming it) but I mean come on.

I happen to have my brass AAA in my pocket at work today, and will continue carrying it.

Edit: do you guys and gals realize how many brass fittings are in your plumbing? If you knew you would be calling a plumber with some of the reactions I've seen here. #themoreyouknow

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we can all agree on the following:

1. There IS Lead in a Brass Maratac
2. Brass is a worse conductor of both electricity and heat, than Aluminum or Copper.
3. Brass is a better conductor of both electricity and heat, than Stainless or Titanium.
4. The Brass, Copper, and Aluminum Maratacs are in stock.
5. The Stainless and Titanium Maratacs are not in stock.

Enjoy your lights!:)

Wendee

Enlightened
I've had my brass Maratac for about 2 weeks now and I really like it. It looks and feels like a quality AAA flashlight to me and I'm really glad that I ordered it. It's starting to get a patina now, which I like more than when it's shiny. Here it is in the woods in Ontario, Canada. :)
maratac%20trillium_zpslkwcg1jl.jpg

Maratac AAA (Brass) with Trillium flowers.
Fun Fact: A white trillium serves as the emblem and official flower of the Canadian province of Ontario. It is illegal to in any way injure the common Trillium grandiflorum (white trillium) in Ontario. (Source: Wikipedia)

Last edited:

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Really nice photo Wendee... I have the regular aluminum (black) AAA Maratac light and I like it a lot...

Wendee

Enlightened
Really nice photo Wendee... I have the regular aluminum (black) AAA Maratac light and I like it a lot...

Thanks wolfgaze. :)
I really like mine a lot too. The only thing I would change is the twisty function. It would be "perfect" if it had a clicky button instead. It's so nice though, it's worth having to twist to change modes, even thought it drives me bonkers.

iirc Maratac copper has no Lead, but if you find out it does, please post a link to the info

otoh, Maratac Brass does have Lead, here are the links:

Flashlight body is machined of solid billet ultra conductive C360 Free Machining Brass

C360 brass has a lead content of 2.5% to 3.7%

Lead in Brass is not meaningless to the Attorney General of California.

If after reading post #29 including the links, the lead in brass is still meaningless to you, please offer some links to educate me on why the AG is wrong.

Dude! Everything in California is toxic and/or causes cancer. That's why I don't live there. ;)

~ Chance

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
maratac%20trillium_zpslkwcg1jl.jpg
Maratac AAA (Brass) with Trillium … official flower of ...Ontario.
Beautiful Photo!and thanks for teaching me about Trillium :)I hope you come to love the twisty as much as I do, after the Oring loosens up a bit. My Maratacs now have buttery smooth action and work easily one handed, which they did not, when brand new.imo the Tool is essentially a clicky Maratac
IMG_2466.JPG

Wendee

Enlightened
Beautiful Photo!and thanks for teaching me about Trillium :)I hope you come to love the twisty as much as I do, after the Oring loosens up a bit. My Maratacs now have buttery smooth action and work easily one handed, which they did not, when brand new.imo the Tool is essentially a clicky Maratac

I've seen a couple of CPF posts that say the Maratac is in fact made by Lumintop!

I tried to find more info doing a Google search but couldn't really find anything. I'm going to search a bit more though because I knew I liked Lumintop and now I know I like Maratac, so yep, I'm interested in checking out other models from both brands. :)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen a couple of CPF posts that say the Maratac is in fact made by Lumintop!
I tried to find more info doing a Google search but couldn't really find anything.

its not officially disclosed.. fwiw, Lumintop also makes both the Prometheus Beta and the Lumintop Worm :)
left to right, Maratac, Tool, Worm.. same reflector
IMG_1958.PNG

Maratac and Tool heads are interchangeable (not the TiTool)
IMG_0509.JPG

same pocket clip, on the two on the right
(maratac on left has been modified, shortened the clip so it will tailstand, it also has a driver and LED swap)
IMG_2026.JPG

Another similarity.. Both Maratac and Tool offer MLH mode sequence, both were PWM driven before last Fall, and both are now NoPWM

there are differences too.. Maratac has brighter modes, and no Nichia option, and the knurling on the Tool (left) is flat, the right pic is a Maratac from last Fall.. Lumintop has been simplifying their knurling in stages
IMG_0448.PNG
IMG_0447.PNG

the knurling on the left is a PWM Maratac from last spring (I dont have a Tool from that era, but believe they might also have used the dimpled diamond.. maybe someone can verify)
IMG_0467.PNG

The Tool skipped the middle knurling, afaict it was exclusive to Maratac when they went to the NoPWM circuit last Fall.

although Im not sure from your pic, it appears your brass Maratac Might be using the flat knurling now, like the ReyTool on the right.

Which of the 3 knurl patterns above, does your Brass Maratac have?

Last edited:

Wendee

Enlightened
its not officially disclosed.. fwiw, Lumintop also makes both the Prometheus Beta and the Lumintop Worm :)
[...]
...it appears your brass Maratac Might be using the flat knurling now, like the ReyTool on the right.
Which of the 3 knurl patterns above, does your Brass Maratac have?

Yes, I would say my Maratac is like the ReyLight Tool on the right. I took a picture but it seems a bit blurry. Oh well, better than no picture. :)
maratac%20close2_zps0hiqlufd.jpg

bartko09

Enlightened
Before Lumintop Maratac used O Light to manufacture their lights [emoji6]

Useless fact of the day