NEW Maratac Copper (Cu) CR123 XM-L LED Flashlight Available

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zebralight SC52 & SC52w

So tempted by this light.I'm used to CR123 batteries and I've never owned a copper light.

Should I go for it?

I'm referring to the Maratac copper CR123.

Last edited:

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zebralight SC52 & SC52w

How are copper lights in terms of durability?

(Namely,will it break.. if it fell out of my pocket and hit cement..)

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
It won't break. But the copper will deform easily because it's so soft .
That being said, scratches are easily sanded out for the same reason

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
There will be more CR123 Coppers coming soon. not sure if it will be Rev2 or not....

thanks for the tip!

if they do a rev 2, I sincerely hope the threads are longer for the twisty portion simply so it's not too easy to unscrew the head entirely

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the tip!

if they do a rev 2, I sincerely hope the threads are longer for the twisty portion simply so it's not too easy to unscrew the head entirely
+1 And hopefully, the o-ring will be moved so it's farther in the head when the light is off.

wolfstyle

Enlightened
Just saw Rev 2 is now available at County Comm. Looks like they lightened it up quite a bit.

wolfstyle

night.hoodie

Enlightened
That new CR123 Cu may be advertised "Rev. 2," but by the description, I opine it is most likely this light in its original form was already a Rev. 2, and is now what we are more familiar with as a Rev. 3 Maratac (Lumintop) driver. The other Maratac Rev. 2 all had 2 modes, both CC, while Rev. 3 uses PWM on M and L. Odd but happier detail is this driver advances L-M-H unlike previous Rev. 3, which advanced M-L-H.

turkeylord

Enlightened
Heads up, this light is now up on Massdrop. $53.81 shipped if 45 sell (I'm sure they will).

recDNA

Flashaholic
if you wander over to the County Comm page, there's now a new CR123A based LED Copper Maratac up.

I just placed my order for one and will be updating this post with pics when I get it, my thoughts on the light and its beam, etc. I'll try and answer any questions y'all have when I get it as best I can and update this post when necessary. (Please be aware I do not have a lux meter or anything like that :()

Here's what we do know:
- Cree XM-L T6 (see specs)
- over three times heavier than AAA Cu Maratac (to be expected due to larger battery bay?)
---- Weight: 94 grams vs. 27 grams (94g = CR123 version; 27g = AAA version-- both weights when empty)
- 3 modes like the old(er) Rev. 1 Maratacs
---- current rev. 2 AAA and AA lights all use TWO modes (as far as I know)
- same claimed incompatibility with 4.2/3.7 volt cells.

Here's what we would like to know (I can offer more insight hopefully when I receive mine):
- can you swap out the driver to anything like a GDuP?
---- based on my conversations with modders here, the AAA version uses a small pill that isn't really replaceable by anything already made, however, the wider diameter of the CR123A version may open up a few possibilities for driver swaps if needed.
- does it actually have compatibility with 4.2/3.7v cells?
- will it run on LiFePO4 cells?
- does it use PWM? is it noticeable?
- is the Cree XM-L mounted on a plate for easy/easier modding potentially?
- how many will be produced? Is it truly a limited run?
- are its lumens ratings at the emitter or OTF (out the front)?
- will it have enough copper to install tritium vials in?

Specifications (copied and pasted directly from the CountyComm page with minor formatting by me):

Further Reading:
The Maratac AAA "Cu" (CPF)
Maratac AAA Cu Tarnish Progression (CPF)
Maratac AA Cu (copper) (CPF)
You mention an xml? The website seems to only list XP-G2?
Maratac seems to claim 78g unless I am missing something.

Does it have an eyelet for a split ring?

Thanks! This looks great if I can hitch it to keychain.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to update the OP about rev 2.

would someone mind writing up a summary etc of rev 2 and I'll copy it in? you'll get credit of course

recDNA

Flashaholic
That's from and old post. And yes, it has a spot for a ring but would be extremely heavy for a keyring
78 g plus battery I think? I'm used to about 70g so it would be a little much I guess. My slacks are falling down as it is unless my belt is so tight it leaves a mark on my waste! My note 3 and keys are way heavier than the flashlight.

Anyway old one was xml now only xpg2? Ugh

Last edited: