New Member With A Few ?'s

jfhrtn

Newly Enlightened
What's up everyone? Was wondering if anyone could recommend a good thrower under $75? Was looking at a TK09 but just wanted to ask the experts. Thank you for any help

ven

Flashaholic

jfhrtn

Newly Enlightened
@ven I appreciate it man. I am on break at work. Once I get back to the house I'll start up a new thread. Was looking for something under 6", 18650 fuel, pocketable, and product support is a must. Have been looking at Vinhn's lights just hard to fit it in the budget. I would really like something with his driver in it. That like looks about like it would fit the requirements. Would you say it is really worth it to save up a bit more and get one of Vinhn's lights? I have read nothing but good reviews on his work. Looks to be extremely sturdy in EDC use too

jfhrtn

Newly Enlightened
Also around 1k-1.5k feet in distance. Will be used kayaking on rivers and helping navigate on my skiff up some small creeks so waterproofing is a must too.

MX421

Enlightened
For the thrower, they generally are pricey when compared to other more all-purpose lights. A budget of $75 won't get you 1 to 1.5k feet throw IMO. Go have a look at the "recommend me a light" part of the forum, there are at least two threads in there with people looking for throwers that mentioned water craft within the last few months. I would recommend and Armytek Barracuda or Predator because of their waterproofing and durability (thats why i got mine), except your product support knocks them out since their hassle free warranty isn't all that. On the other hand, getting one from a US dealer as opposed to directly leads to better customer service. There are plenty of threads on here about that brand and the issues (although i really like the ones i've got that wotk fine). Another alternative would be an Olight Javolet series. Illimn has one on clearance for a little under your budget. Not sure about their waterproofing though. I really liked the idea of putting small diffused lights inside your kayak for a glowing wand on the water if you are in well travelled areas where you need to be seen. A great excuse to buy more flashlights!

To get back on the original thread topic, I bought my dad some eneloops (on the previously mention Battery Junction), but found out that he had bought a bundle at Cosco. If you know someone who has a membership, might stop in there and see.

As for chargers, I like my Xtars (VC4,VC2+, SP1, &SV2) as well if not better than the Nitecore D4 i have. The bolded chargers charge both Li-Ion as well as NiMh, the VC2 & SP1 can also can be used as battery banks to charge USB devices. I also had a Klarus charger that also was a power bank, but i gifted it after taking inventory of my chargers and realizing i was collecting too many and i didn't like its display when compared to others. The VC4 has a capacity readout that i use quite a bit, its a good check that the batteries have not lost capacity. Again, Illumn for most of those chargers...

Have fun with your new addiction!

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for chargers, I like my Xtars (VC4,VC2+, SP1, &SV2) as well if not better as the Nitecore D4 i have. The bolded chargers charge both Li-Ion as well as NiMh, the VC2 & SP1 can also can be used as battery banks to charge USB devices. I also had a Klarus charger that also was a power bank, but i gifted it after taking inventory of my chargers and realizing i was collecting too many and i didn't like its display when compared to others. The VC4 has a capacity readout that i use quite a bit, its a good check that the batteries have not lost capacity. Again, Illumn for most of those chargers...

Have fun with your new addiction!

+1 on this.

I would recommed the VC4, it can charge both eneloops and lithium cells.

I used to like AAA lights but found that AAs pack a bigger punch, check out the Manker T01 on dazed1's thread, just ask him if he still has a discount on these.

You will move on to lithium ion cells soon, especically for AA/14500s as they are the easiest to keep spares for.

Have fun!!!