**NEW** Nitecore EA4 Pioneer (4*AA, 860lm)

Devildude

Enlightened
**Was it a good purchase?

I am considering pulling the trigger and buying this light with a gift card, but I thought I'd ask the people who have already received theirs' whether its a good purchase. So overall, even with the inconsistency in the lockout(how to get out of lockout mode), and the rattle from the switch that a few people have mentioned, do you, as an owner of this light, consider it to be worth the money, and if you knew what you know now, would you still buy it?

Are the 2 issues mentioned above going to be of any real consequence: Has anyone really narrowed down the source of the rattle, and is it a weakness or a potential future problem? How about the method for getting out of lockout mode, will it be a problem?

If either of those 2 issues is a problem in your opinion, can you explain how it will cause a problem? Thanks...:)
I bought on of the neutral white's and I have enjoyed it as it is smaller than my TK41 and almost as bright. The price was a good selling point as well. Mine did not have the rattle and getting out of lockout was not that big of an issue. I have two more coming from BJ when they get them in stock so I would say go a head and enjoy it is a nice pocket rocket.

Billspider

Newly Enlightened
OHHHH the HORROR!!

I am becoming a flashaholic.
Ordered one of these today. What I'm getting for the price I couldn't pass up.
Using AA was the real selling point considering I have Eneloops and a Maha C9000 to charge them.

Last edited:

Divine_Madcat

Newly Enlightened
Well, i am weak.. Ordered and should arrive tomorrow.

For me, i have always wanted a BRIGHT AA light, but could never justify the TK41 (as much as i wanted it). Personally, i think this fits me better. It is better for camping (smaller, lighter), same output, and my Goal zero kit can fully recharge it in one go.

Being a nut, the first thing i will do, is turn it on (gotta make sure it works), then throw it in the drink. I don't plan on dropping my light in a river or lake, but i want to ensure that it will survive it should it happen (i never believe specs until i prove it for myself, where possible). Anyone do anything similar already?

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think my cool white EA4 is dead. :(

I've had it for about a week and a half now and it's been working great but today I noticed a problem. When I was clicking through super low, low, med & high it wasn't switching to high, it was just staying on med. So I tried going straight to turbo then doing a half click to drop it to high but it didn't drop. I took the cap off to reset the chip and tried again but same problem. Tried 2 different sets of batteries (had eneloops in it, tried another set of them and a set of alkalines) but same problem. So I put the cap back on the last time and try to turn the light on and I get nothing. After about 5min I realize that the LED is actually lighting up but it's so dim you can hold it up to your eye and see the shape of it. (sorta like a moonlight mode?) No matter what I click combos I try it stays dim. Tried removing batteries again...tried different sets...no change, still just dim light.

I called Going Gear and explained it to them and let them know I have the original packaging and the light itself has no marks of any kind on it so the guy gave me an RMA# to return it. Bummer! :crazy:

Light off...
imag0101b.jpg

Light on...
imag0102rc.jpg

Last edited:

windsurf

Newly Enlightened
**Was it a good purchase?

I am considering pulling the trigger and buying this light with a gift card, but I thought I'd ask the people who have already received theirs' whether its a good purchase. So overall, even with the inconsistency in the lockout(how to get out of lockout mode), and the rattle from the switch that a few people have mentioned, do you, as an owner of this light, consider it to be worth the money, and if you knew what you know now, would you still buy it?

Are the 2 issues mentioned above going to be of any real consequence: Has anyone really narrowed down the source of the rattle, and is it a weakness or a potential future problem? How about the method for getting out of lockout mode, will it be a problem?

If either of those 2 issues is a problem in your opinion, can you explain how it will cause a problem? Thanks...:)

Absolutely a good purchase. I knew going in that the "ultra-low" of 65lms would be bright, but I've got some single AA lights for moonlight/ low use. I wanted the throw and balanced spill that was shown in some beam shots/videos and now confirmed.

1. Sysmax says the rattle is due to the switch design. I tend to agree that's probably it even though I can lightly press, hold, full press the switch and it still rattles (kind of a clunk vs lighter clink from a wire or something). They've made other lights with electronic switches, so I wouldn't think it's an issue.
2. I've never accidentally unlocked the light by handling or pocket storage, but I haven't had it in a backpack or suitcase yet. My gut feeling is that it won't be a problem.
3. The third undocumented "feature"/bug that others identified the sequence: exiting SOS mode with a short half press instead of the full press will turn off the light, keep the blue indicator on, and then 3 minutes later turn the light on to high. Again, not a problem if you turn it off correctly.

herosemblem

Enlightened
Was there some type of shipping discount for the EA4 @ IlluminationSupply last week? I thought I remember plugging things in for the lowest possible price to CA, and it came to $62-something, shipped (factor in $5 CA sales tax for me).
Today, the total comes to about $65. Shipping cost says $2.50. Ideas why it was previously less expensive than today? Thanks. I'm going to get the light anyway...just paying the price for being an idiot and waiting.

markr6

Flashaholic
Sorry to hear that...good thing GoingGear's customer service is exceptional! Will you be trying another?
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think my cool white EA4 is dead. :(I've had it for about a week and a half now and it's been working great but today I noticed a problem. When I was clicking through super low, low, med & high it wasn't switching to high, it was just staying on med. So I tried going straight to turbo then doing a half click to drop it to high but it didn't drop. I took the cap off to reset the chip and tried again but same problem. Tried 2 different sets of batteries (had eneloops in it, tried another set of them and a set of alkalines) but same problem. So I put the cap back on the last time and try to turn the light on and I get nothing. After about 5min I realize that the LED is actually lighting up but it's so dim you can hold it up to your eye and see the shape of it. (sorta like a moonlight mode?) No matter what I click combos I try it stays dim. Tried removing batteries again...tried different sets...no change, still just dim light.I called Going Gear and explained it to them and let them know I have the original packaging and the light itself has no marks of any kind on it so the guy gave me an RMA# to return it. Bummer! :crazy:Light off...
imag0101b.jpg
Light on...
imag0102rc.jpg

windsurf

Newly Enlightened
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think my cool white EA4 is dead. :(

I called Going Gear and explained it to them and let them know I have the original packaging and the light itself has no marks of any kind on it so the guy gave me an RMA# to return it. Bummer! :crazy:

Light on...
imag0102rc.jpg

Well everybody wanted a moonlight mode, but that's ridiculous (sorry!). Let us know when GG ships another, if that's what you're planning. So far, this failure hasn't spread to my GG supplied light!

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened

I've had it for about a week and a half now and it's been working great but today I noticed a problem. When I was clicking through super low, low, med & high it wasn't switching to high, it was just staying on med. So I tried going straight to turbo then doing a half click to drop it to high but it didn't drop. I took the cap off to reset the chip and tried again but same problem. Tried 2 different sets of batteries (had eneloops in it, tried another set of them and a set of alkalines) but same problem. So I put the cap back on the last time and try to turn the light on and I get nothing. After about 5min I realize that the LED is actually lighting up but it's so dim you can hold it up to your eye and see the shape of it. (sorta like a moonlight mode?) No matter what I click combos I try it stays dim. Tried removing batteries again...tried different sets...no change, still just dim light.

I had this mysterious super low firefly mode happen to me with a defective quark 2AA turbo. None of the modes worked and when it was on, it went straight to super low firefly where i could stare right in to it. I had to return it to 4sevens when i got my RMA and i got another. Did you happen to jar the light a little (not drop it)? For ex, if it was in sitting on its bezel, you happened to accidently knocked it to its side?

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear that...good thing GoingGear's customer service is exceptional! Will you be trying another?

Probably not. My neutral white came in from Illumination Supply and it's working fine. Also I think I prefer the NW over the CW. Couldn't really tell until I put them side by side.

Well everybody wanted a moonlight mode, but that's ridiculous (sorry!). Let us know when GG ships another, if that's what you're planning. So far, this failure hasn't spread to my GG supplied light!

Assuming they give the light the 'OK', which I'm sure they will, I'll probably get something else.

I had this mysterious super low firefly mode happen to me with a defective quark 2AA turbo. None of the modes worked and when it was on, it went straight to super low firefly where i could stare right in to it. I had to return it to 4sevens when i got my RMA and i got another. Did you happen to jar the light a little (not drop it)? For ex, if it was in sitting on its bezel, you happened to accidently knocked it to its side?

It definitely could have been knocked over from a standing position. I carry it in my side pocket so it has to take some impact every time I sit down, stand up, etc. but man if it can't handle that then it's not the light for me! Hopefully for everyone's sake it's not a widespread issue that is going to start popping up.

daywalker

Newly Enlightened
In a German flashlightforum they discuss the following feature of the EA4: go in SOS mode, finish it by a half click, wait 3 minutes during which the blue LED is lighting continuously and be surprised that the EA4 goes on by itself in high-mode after 3 minutes.

Now what do you say? Does it work with your EA4s also and when so is it a feature or a bug and when it is a feature what is it for?
Thanks

My light works the same way. Only a half press in SOS mode leaves the button in continuous blue light leading to high-mode after 3 minutes. I believe they programmed it that way, no matter why. Maybe we will get an answer from Nitecore.

RBH

Newly Enlightened
I tried that with mine last night several times and it turns off and stays off.

My light works the same way. Only a half press in SOS mode leaves the button in continuous blue light leading to high-mode after 3 minutes. I believe they programmed it that way, no matter why. Maybe we will get an answer from Nitecore.

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened

+1

I have a neutral white and it kicked into turbo after 3min of nothing. Weird.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably not. My neutral white came in from Illumination Supply and it's working fine. Also I think I prefer the NW over the CW. Couldn't really tell until I put them side by side.

Assuming they give the light the 'OK', which I'm sure they will, I'll probably get something else.

It definitely could have been knocked over from a standing position. I carry it in my side pocket so it has to take some impact every time I sit down, stand up, etc. but man if it can't handle that then it's not the light for me! Hopefully for everyone's sake it's not a widespread issue that is going to start popping up.

If you already have another EA4 and want to choose another light, maybe order a new Zebralight SC52. Its a great little AA light. Its really small, and its the brightest single AA light out there right now, and it has like 9 brightness modes. You can get them for around $64. I bought one and got it about 2.5 weeks ago and its great.

I will wait a few more days before ordering the EA4 to see if more issues pop up. It seems like every other time I come to this thread there's a new issue. I was concerned because a light like this should cost around $109 or so, not $59.99-$69.99. So I was worried that maybe short cuts were taken, or at least its so new the bugs havent been sorted out yet.

markr6

Flashaholic
Well I guess I need to consider myself lucky. I've had no issues, no rattling, no strange behavior, A+ quality and a NW tint to die for...even better than my newly beloved PD32UE, coming in at a close second!

I really wish noone had these issues. It's such a great light and a total shame if NC cut corners or whatever.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
+1

Come to think of it, the SOS might be related to the high mode, in the sense that it "steps down" into the high mode from turbo. Normally, half presses switch modes, but there is no mode to switch to...the beacon stays illuminated as if the light is still in operation.

markr6

Flashaholic
+1

I just tried this but everything seems OK on mine.

And after a few more days using this, I just have to say this button and UI is awesome!! I can't decide if I like Zebralight's or this one better. ZL wins for ability to start with low setting. NC wins for momentary on. Both are great for accessing modes quickly without a lot of hassle. Even thought you can't always tell which mode the EA4 is in with a half press, it's so quick to change it doesn't really matter.

stp

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys, speaking about the interface. I read the manual and it's kinda like in case of zebra light hard to say how complicated it is in real life usage. I don't have problem with ZL but my father had. And I'm looking for 4xAA light for him.

So what do you think, will EA4 be easy enough to use for older non flashoholic who had problem with ZL interface in the past? Yes I know about Sunwayman M40A but I'm waiting for them to offer variable interface becouse it would be the best for him I think. Currently I'm considering EA4 or V10/V11 A/R+extender.

Latest posts