**NEW** Nitecore EA4 Pioneer (4*AA, 860lm)

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys, speaking about the interface. I read the manual and it's kinda like in case of zebra light hard to say how complicated it is in real life usage. I don't have problem with ZL but my father had. And I'm looking for 4xAA light for him.

So what do you think, will EA4 be easy enough to use for older non flashoholic who had problem with ZL interface in the past? Yes I know about Sunwayman M40A but I'm waiting for them to offer variable interface becouse it would be the best for him I think. Currently I'm considering EA4 or V10/V11 A/R+extender.
Just my opinion, but I think most non-flashaholics will want a simple clicky--single mode, 3-mode at most. And this would be even more true for an older person. Sure there will be exceptions, some people just like gadgets and would have no problem with this UI, but that's not most people.

stp

Newly Enlightened
Just my opinion, but I think most non-flashaholics will want a simple clicky--single mode, 3-mode at most. And this would be even more true for an older person. Sure there will be exceptions, some people just like gadgets and would have no problem with this UI, but that's not most people.

Yes I guess that most non-flashoholicks when asked will tell you that they like/want single mode light. It's mostly because they never used something that emits over 100 lumens. After they will get it from you it will be used only for high lumen tasks. 3-mode light is Imho abomination that in one why or another will blind you - there is always a moment when you have to go trough high to reach low (and often there is some strobe too...sigh).

Thanks for your opinion it confirmed what I thought. I guess I wll have to wait for some small fatty light with variable regulation or with 2 push buttons (higher-lower). I was hoping that it may be it...I'm looking for that one perfect light two years already, getting little desperate...

Bumble

Enlightened
Hi, after browsing this thread has anybody done a runtime test on "high" ONLY (no turbo used at all), using a set of xx 2500 aa eneloops ? apologies in advance if its already here.

RBH

Newly Enlightened
Post deleted

Hi, after browsing this thread has anybody done a runtime test on "high" ONLY (no turbo used at all), using a set of xx 2500 aa eneloops ? apologies in advance if its already here.

Last edited:

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my EA4W today. This is the best 4AA setup out there by far. UI is easy to master. No rattle that others are experiencing.

Can't wait until dark!

Jeff

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine just showed up too!
What a little ingot of light!!!

It seems simple enough to operate to me but I am not going to hand it off to anyone not like us for sure.
I also can not wait until darkness comes.

Oh and mine rattles like hell too.

daywalker

Newly Enlightened
I just tried this but everything seems OK on mine.

And after a few more days using this, I just have to say this button and UI is awesome!! I can't decide if I like Zebralight's or this one better. ZL wins for ability to start with low setting. NC wins for momentary on. Both are great for accessing modes quickly without a lot of hassle. Even thought you can't always tell which mode the EA4 is in with a half press, it's so quick to change it doesn't really matter.

Usually it should start in the mode you used when you shut it off.

pyro1son

Newly Enlightened
Ordered one of these beasts myself today. Can not wait for it to arrive and have a little play!
So exciting, haven't had a new flashlight in a while!

daywalker

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys, speaking about the interface. I read the manual and it's kinda like in case of zebra light hard to say how complicated it is in real life usage. I don't have problem with ZL but my father had. And I'm looking for 4xAA light for him.

So what do you think, will EA4 be easy enough to use for older non flashoholic who had problem with ZL interface in the past? Yes I know about Sunwayman M40A but I'm waiting for them to offer variable interface becouse it would be the best for him I think. Currently I'm considering EA4 or V10/V11 A/R+extender.

I would say for the normal modes, it is easy. Full click when you need the power, with a easy step down to high. Or a half press several times for different power. A bit more complicated to get to the SOS-mode or the other specials.

grepeyre

Newly Enlightened
I would say for the normal modes, it is easy. Full click when you need the power, with a easy step down to high. Or a half press several times for different power. A bit more complicated to get to the SOS-mode or the other specials.

Which is great, I noticed quite a few flashaholics weren't specially fond of these modes. I myself don't care for the SOS but I'd like to see how the strobe is

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
perhaps an odd question, but concerning the advertized 860 lumen output of the Nitecore EA4: Usually the warm- or neutral-white LEDs have a lower output than the cool-white LEDs. Does the Nitecore EA4 nominally produce 860 lumens in _both_ the cool-white and in the neutral-white version?

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
perhaps an odd question, but concerning the advertized 860 lumen output of the Nitecore EA4: Usually the warm- or neutral-white LEDs have a lower output than the cool-white LEDs. Does the Nitecore EA4 nominally produce 860 lumens in _both_ the cool-white and in the neutral-white version?

There is a note on the EA4 specs that the NW has a lower output than the CW, but no specs are given. If I had to guess, based on the lowered output of other NW lights, I would say the EA4 NW makes ~780 lumens. However, in the German video, as some have pointed out, the NW clearly looks brighter than the CW, so who knows!

windsurf

Newly Enlightened

There is a note on the EA4 specs that the NW has a lower output than the CW, but no specs are given. If I had to guess, based on the lowered output of other NW lights, I would say the EA4 NW makes ~780 lumens. However, in the German video, as some have pointed out, the NW clearly looks brighter than the CW, so who knows!

I agree about the NW lumens. Estimating from the Cree XM-L charts between U2 (CW only) and T6, I estimated 750-800 ANSI for the NW. That falls in line with another light I had looked at where the mfr gave LED and ANSI lms for both his U2 and T6s. I personally think the NW looks brighter in the german video, but could be due to camera color sensitivity, battery condition, or the lighty falling snow.

I'm happy with my NW EA4!

windsurf

Newly Enlightened
Would the lower lumens of the NW help run time any ?
Runtime shouldn't change. The drive current is the same, but the NW is a lower bin (T6) vs (U2) since the NW and WW fabrication cuts the visible light a bit.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the answers about the EA4 lumens of CW vs NW. I like the compact size very much and the "low" does not bother my old eyes that need more lumens. Still debating with myself about how long to wait before ordering. Nearly any newly released light has an "improvement" or two after the first production run is in the hands of flashaholics. All TBD.

grepeyre

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking of getting some eneloops, any suggestions as to which work best and longer in the EA4? Black XX?

Latest posts