**NEW** Nitecore EA4 Pioneer (4*AA, 860lm)

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
I worry about those 2 negative springs on the tail cap catching on the batteries as as it's screwed on repeatedly.

Patriot

Flashaholic
This light would have been of real interest to me if they had used a U3...run at around 1000 lumen, had it run off 4 X 14500 and had a built in charging system. Mini Tiny Monster. Still interesting, but...

The main advantage of 14500's would be higher voltage and potentially more output. However, despite not running on 14500's the light still produces slightly more output per XM-L than either the TM11 or TM15. It's actually ideal because we can use less expensive cells with greater capacity. There's no advantage to 14500's if the light is optimized for the voltage provided by NiMh. Even if you run them 2S2P it's only1500mah. Not installing a charging circuit and socket reduces the overall size, which it seems was a target goal. Look how much longer all lights are with on board charging. With regards to a U3, sure who wouldn't take it, but at the same time, the TM's aren't using them, yet we still praise them both. The idea that a 140 lumen difference would transform this light from an interest to a "real interest" seems like splitting hairs but we all have an opinion on what's cool. :)

Last edited:

biglights

Enlightened
Yep, and you would not be able to tell the difference in those 140 lumens. Great point Patriot!! This little guy looks like a home run.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my thoughts on the 14500`s would be that they would be run in parallel, easier to change batts in the dark...also not so sure about the capacity being lower...need to keep in mind it`s a higher voltage batt...so not sure one can simply look at/compare ma ratings that way.

"The main advantage of lithium batteries is their energy capacity. UltraFire 14500 is rated @ 900mah (although capacity is likely over rated). 900mah x 3.6v = 3.2Watt hours. While eneloops are 1.2v x 2000mah = 2.4 Watt hours".

"The nice thing about 14500's is they are 3.6v the operating voltage of most LED's. So you could have a smaller flashlight operate off 1x14500 rather than the 3xAA's needed to achieve the 3.6v..."

And I believe cold weather performance would be better too...important for a true search and rescue light. And I`m old school, brighter better...the old CPF motto...

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is to work with both 4x 1.2v Nimh and 4x 4.2v Li-Ion,
the circuit would have to compromise one way or the other.
14500's are good for single cell Li-Ion battery use.
Ima get those XX Eneloops 2500mAh for this thing.

The reflector looks specially optimized, and beautiful.

8254232908_25af2ca3fa_z.jpg

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
Gordo, think you could compare runtimes with the 2000mah vs. the XX 2500mah eneloops once you get them? If it's significant I may get them as well, but considering the price of the XX's and the fact that I have a bunch of regular ones at the house, it would have to be worth the $34+ price tag to get 8 of them. I would appreciate it if possible. Thanks.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened

ericb445

Newly Enlightened
Last edited by a moderator:

Rikr

Newly Enlightened
Eric,
So what's your thoughts on your new light? I have been looking at it for awhile now and just don't no... I am into throwers but I do like them all.. Thanks

ericb445

Newly Enlightened
Eric,
So what's your thoughts on your new light? I have been looking at it for awhile now and just don't no... I am into throwers but I do like them all.. Thanks

I have been messing with it all day. Its nice. I like the UI and it seems to be pretty throwy. I can't wait for it to get dark out. Fit Finish is nice just like all nitecores I have. The button flashing blue is nice and could be a little brighter but at night might be enough.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I see this light is available in neutral white option I am really interested. Just want to read a review and see runtime graph for the different modes. :popcorn:

PhatPhil

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know when the NW option will be in stock?

So far I've only seen the CW U2 option for sale

Latest posts