**NEW** Nitecore EA8

Patriot

Flashaholic
Re: NEW Nitecore EA8

Awesome review of the EA8, Patriot! I cannot find where someone mentioned that the Youtube video is titled "E8A" instead of EA8, but...just another reminder.

Ha!!! I'm very glad that you told me because I didn't even realize I had done that. That's what I get for trying to put a video up at 12:30AM...lol

With regards to the EA8W. PredatorEDC ordered them all NW at my request and Nitecore sent CW. Murphy hard at work.

Inquirer, rayman, holylight, thank you guys. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Last edited:

Devildude

Enlightened
Well I had to pull the trigger and order a neutral white from Illumination Supply. This should give my TK41's a run for the money.

herosemblem

Enlightened
Tomorrow my EA8W arrives. Very excited for it and will compare it to my EA4W. I told myself I would hate the 8x AA format, but somehow gave in...
It must be the UI that I love so much.

herosemblem

Enlightened
I like the ea8w a lot. Quite heavy, and the head is much larger than I imagined it. Is beautiful to behold. I like that the blue backlight is about 2.3X as bright as the very faint blue backlight on my ea4. The spot of the ea8 is dominant and draws my eyes' attention/focus. The spill is somewhat faint yet even. Due to the reflector design on the ea8, the spill certainly isn't as bright as the spill in many of the xml lights we own. The benefit, though, is the great throw on this light.

I have found that holding the light in the overhand/tactical position is difficult due to the positioning of the button and fat head which is very near the button. The "handshake" method works well with this light, as with the ea4.

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I wonder if there'll be a version that uses the XM-L2 U2 1C LED? If not, I'm swayed to the neutral. Just when I saved enough for the EA4W ... may be swayed again if there is an EA4W v2 with the lower low

Patriot

Flashaholic
may be swayed again if there is an EA4W v2 with the lower low

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. Nitecore seems completely against the idea of the EA4 having a low mode which is so silly, it can't actually be based in logic. They told me that they thought it would cut into their market for the EA8. My response to them was, "oh I understand, you've still got thousands of EA4 original versions made that you have to sell."

Sean02149

Newly Enlightened
I just received mine yesterday - very similar to my EA4, but with the very nice 'super low' mode.

i got curious about the voltage readout being 6 volts, when there are 12 volts worth of battery in there. So I tried running it with 4 batteries- worked great! I'm very curious what this would to the run-times?

Sean

I was poking around and came upon a link. 900 lumes for 2 hours and 60000cd! Looks like a pretty nice light. Im very tempted to pick one up.

Heres the link to there product guide. Its a little ways down
http://www.nitecore.com/UploadFile/Files/download/1-1_NC2013_Catalog_En_web.pdf

tickled

Newly Enlightened
I just received mine yesterday - very similar to my EA4, but with the very nice 'super low' mode. i got curious about the voltage readout being 6 volts, when there are 12 volts worth of battery in there. So I tried running it with 4 batteries- worked great! I'm very curious what this would to the run-times? Sean
Four cells in parallel to make two batteries in series so no it's not 12 volts. That's why it will run with 4 cells but with only roughly half the life.

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
Four cells in parallel to make two batteries in series so no it's not 12 volts. That's why it will run with 4 cells but with only roughly half the life.

Does it matter which of the 4 battery columns you put the 2 sets of AAs in if you are in a pinch and only have 4 AAs available?

tickled

Newly Enlightened
Does it matter which of the 4 battery columns you put the 2 sets of AAs in if you are in a pinch and only have 4 AAs available?
My first instinct would be to say yes it does matter but I am not sure what the circuit looks like. Also I think I have my parallel and series circuits mixed up in the previous post.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first instinct would be to say yes it does matter but I am not sure what the circuit looks like. Also I think I have my parallel and series circuits mixed up in the previous post.

I think you have. It would have to be 4 series in a 2 parallel configuration, 4.8V. 4 parallel in 2 series would give you 2.4V but would require a boost circuit.

herosemblem

Enlightened
I checked with my unit and yes it does run on four AA. The positive-end-up cells must be on the left of the negative-end-up cells for it to work.
I only eyeballed the brightness here in the daylight, but all modes work just fine on four cells, and Max appears maybe 85% as bright. Its tough to say. No matter... in a pinch, yes 4x AA I the ea8 will allow the light to run.

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
I checked with my unit and yes it does run on four AA. The positive-end-up cells must be on the left of the negative-end-up cells for it to work.
I only eyeballed the brightness here in the daylight, but all modes work just fine on four cells, and Max appears maybe 85% as bright. Its tough to say. No matter... in a pinch, yes 4x AA I the ea8 will allow the light to run.

So the two columns of 2AAs must be adjacent then and not opposite. Visually, would it be like this then?

Looking down the battery tube at four columns:

Correct
X X
O O

Incorrect
X O
O X

Last edited: