*NEW* Nitecore EC4 & EC4S: (Possible) 2x18650, 2000 Lumens

Amelia

Enlightened
Re: Nitecore EC4 first available at Amazon Today, 2015-May-27

Interested in that MT-G2. Nitecore seemed to give up on the neutral white options, so this is the next best thing if it's the 5000K I'm assuming.

If it's 5000K, I'll buy the SECOND it becomes available.
So far, reading the specs, there's nothing bad I can see about this light. 5000K would make it perfect! :)

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast

If the EC4S has the MT-G2 emitter and has thermal regulation it'll be quite a light.. With 2k lumens it would be quite a light with strong throw also.

lumentia

Enlightened

This is a nicely sized light. They managed to take care of a few of the flaws I saw with the fenix tk35 such as inefficient use of space (it could have been smaller if it were designed better) and plastic battery carrier. I like the 2 parallel 18650 setup, the dual switches, and if this light eventually gets released with the mtg2 would make this an awesome G.P. light.

BUT...

Die cast aluminum isn't nearly as strong as billet 6061-t6 aircraft aluminum, but is much, much cheaper to make in the long run (up front die mold costs are high but it's a one time cost. )

Stove varnish? I hope that's a typo. If not, that sounds ridiculous and clearly another cost cutting measure unless it's a stove 'varnish' different from what I'm familiar with. Paint will never be as durable as hard anodizing.

Yes, the runtimes are unimpressive, even for 2600 mah cells. Maybe it's a cheap driver. Might as well have a 1 x 18650 light that's much smaller and lighter. (Not counting the advantage of being able to use an MTG2 emitter)

I like the innovative nature of nitecore but am surprised that they are marketing this as a premium light. I'm also surprised that these cost cutting measures didn't translate into a cheaper retail price. Think I'll wait.

Last edited:

lumentia

Enlightened

Nitecore is not very innovative, lol...google around and you will see some very similar previously established "innovations"
I can think of a few things they've come up with that are not just gimmicks, even if they haven't been superbly implemented, like the sliding switch on the HC90, the rotary dial with button capabilities, and die casting a flashlight (there's nothing inherently wrong with die casting, it's probably strong enough as I don't plan on using it for a chock block but I think they priced it too high) . OK I'm only coming up with three lol. Maybe the right word would be market savvy.

Speaking of the mode dial with button capabilities, that would have been awesome if it was in a better, smaller light, at the front of the light, and the light was turned on/of by pressing the dial down.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast

Although it's slightly OT, Nitecore has a history of taking certain novelty ideas and putting them in the mainstream production line. Take for example the Nitecore piston drive series, the original idea began with CPF member McGizmp but Nitecore worked out a deal with him and brought the piston drive series into commercial production. They also have made the magnetic control ring (current SRT series) popular as well. The die cast light is innovative in the sense that I've yet to see another die cast flashlight and this will cut down on weight and size. Interested to see the performance of this light. It's not one I'm interested in since I don't like multi-cell lithium lights but for those who like this style it does look to be a nice light. I'm sure some deals will come out for $40-45 range once it's widely available which isn't bad at all.

Amelia

Enlightened

From my recollection (and I could be wrong...), it was Surefire that pioneered the magnetic control ring, with the U2 light. The next light that I saw with this was the Jetbeam "raptor" with its 4-position ring. The first "infinitely variable" ring was a Sunwayman, the V10 if I remember right. Nitecore came late to the magring party - but I think they are the first ones to really do it right.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast

From my recollection (and I could be wrong...), it was Surefire that pioneered the magnetic control ring, with the U2 light. The next light that I saw with this was the Jetbeam "raptor" with its 4-position ring. The first "infinitely variable" ring was a Sunwayman, the V10 if I remember right. Nitecore came late to the magring party - but I think they are the first ones to really do it right.

Sounds like an accurate summary, they weren't innovative by pioneering this technology but they did bring it commercial and get it right. The V11r and SRT lights are the two best magnetic ring lights under $100 imo. Nitecore has been innovative in a few areas and the die cast light is one that seems original to them but they're also good at taking ideas from others and implementing them quite effectively like the PD lights or magnetic ring lights.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

This EC4S might not be as innovative to me as much as just nice. I was really looking into the Fenix TK35UE, but it's just plain too big for what it brings to the table. It's nice to see a 2x 18650 MTG2 light like the EC4S that's compact and without a battery carrier.

skelton660

Newly Enlightened

Stove varnish? I hope that's a typo. If not, that sounds ridiculous and clearly another cost cutting measure unless it's a stove 'varnish' different from what I'm familiar with. Paint will never be as durable as hard anodizing.

If you google it, stove varnish is an established painting process for aluminum that is cast. Anodizing is apparently not possible because of the alloy that is used to created a flowable aluminum. I will have my EC4 tomorrow and will report on the finish.

Here's a quote I found about the process "Wet painting is the cheapest and simplest, while stoving varnish is the most expensive and finest painting process"

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic

This EC4S might not be as innovative to me as much as just nice. I was really looking into the Fenix TK35UE, but it's just plain too big for what it brings to the table. It's nice to see a 2x 18650 MTG2 light like the EC4S that's compact and without a battery carrier.

I've contemplated the TK35UE for months...glad I held off. There's just more lights out there with better performance in better form factor IMO. This EC4S may be a great alternative.

Enlightened

I've contemplated the TK35UE for months...glad I held off. There's just more lights out there with better performance in better form factor IMO. This EC4S may be a great alternative.
And hope the Nitecore has a more robust internal design.

lumentia

Enlightened

+ 1 looking forward to some reviews (and perhaps drop tests lol)

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you google it, stove varnish is an established painting process for aluminum that is cast. Anodizing is apparently not possible because of the alloy that is used to created a flowable aluminum. I will have my EC4 tomorrow and will report on the finish.

Here's a quote I found about the process "Wet painting is the cheapest and simplest, while stoving varnish is the most expensive and finest painting process"

Looking forward to your results today and maybe some beamshots!

skelton660

Newly Enlightened

Got it today, just came in from outside. I am not the guy for beamshots. I am a terrible photographer. I can say that the beam is very interesting in that, to me, there's no intense hot spot, the beam is very consistent all the way from the center out. Also, the finish isn't very noticeably different than anodizing, other than it has a slightly "grippy" feel to it. For what I paid for it, I like it.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got it today, just came in from outside. I am not the guy for beamshots. I am a terrible photographer. I can say that the beam is very interesting in that, to me, there's no intense hot spot, the beam is very consistent all the way from the center out. Also, the finish isn't very noticeably different than anodizing, other than it has a slightly "grippy" feel to it. For what I paid for it, I like it.

Great thanks for letting us know! How does the throw seem compared to other lights? At the turbo/1000 lumen setting does it heat up quickly? Does the battery compartment seem pretty durable and sturdy? That's interesting that it doesn't have an intense hot spot especially since it appears to have a smooth reflector.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surprised to hear the XML2 version is such a smooth beam; if I'm not mistaken it's a smooth reflector. Makes me wonder how floody the MT-G2 version will be.

skelton660

Newly Enlightened

Great thanks for letting us know! How does the throw seem compared to other lights? At the turbo/1000 lumen setting does it heat up quickly? Does the battery compartment seem pretty durable and sturdy? That's interesting that it doesn't have an intense hot spot especially since it appears to have a smooth reflector.
If I give my honest evaluation, I don't think it's quite the thrower Nitecore advertises, to my eyes, it seems less than either of my EA4s (2014 and 2015). The battery compartment seems fine, but I am a little concerned about the way the end screws onto the body. I can't hardly describe the way it threads, it's very unique. The large circle you turn on the outside of the endcap only engages threads on the outside of the tube on 2 sides, very strange. I am just afraid of cross-threading it.

It really does seem very light for it's size, seems like it should weigh twice what it does. I am on the fence on the supplied holster. The flashlight swims in it, no matter whether you put it in face up or down.

Last edited:

NorthernStar

Enlightened

Looks like an interesting light! From what i can tell, it does not have any lockout mode. For those who have handled it in person, what do you think about the chances of accidental activation on the light? :thinking: Is the buttons sensitive?

skelton660

Newly Enlightened

There is a Lockout function, from the manual--->"With the light turned on, press and hold both switches for over one second to switch the light off and enter lockout mode. In this mode, the two switches will not have their respective function, thus preventing accidental activation of the EC4. To unlock, simply press and hold both switches for over one second again."

And the switch is exactly the same feel as the EA41, EC11, etc.