New Review Megaray 175 Watt

Cones

Enlightened
Hi,
Right the secrets out!
This is the first one of its type in the world so this
must be a bit of an exclusive for CPF readers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I got a chance to play with the new 175 watt Megaray a couple of weeks ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's the review www.cones.free-online.co.uk

Mark

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Cones,

That's a heck of a light!!!! I am really interested in the lithium rechargeables mentioned. Do you have any more info other than an e-mail address??

Thanks,
Don

Cones

Enlightened
Hi Don,

I have the bits of info that I have gathered from my friend. But you should really contact Simon on that email address for the best information. He is the agent and will fill you in on all of the details. I can tell you that these cells are unique in the industry at the moment as far as the safety aspects go. I may be looking for some myself on an RC model project. They are not cheap but you get more charge cycles than a NiCd or NiMh cell and the energy density is the best in its class. The belt pack for the Megaray really is light in weight. The old lead acid pack weighed over 20 pounds. You would have to be a special forces soldier to carry that lot round all night!
If you have a specific Voltage, Capacity, Load requirement etc it will be easy for Simon to get you a solution worked out. The cells can be made into series / parallel packs with electronic PCM protection modules in place which prevent any over charging or discharging. They also balance the pack cell voltage when charging to prevent one cell charging more than another. You will need a special Lithium Charger as they have a (as do all Lithium cells) very specific charge profile that must be followed to produce a full charge.

Simon does a demo on these packs where he puts a nail through them while they are working. Guess what. They carry on working! Do this with any other lithium cell and you will start a fire or trigger an explosion. Please do not try this at home.

Many electronics companies are paranoid with lithium battery safety. They have been known to scrap entire production runs of cells because of one faulty pack. Another story I heard was thet when a mobile phone salesman was shown what happens to an overcharged cells phone battery caused by a faulty PCM protection module. (It explodes and bursts into flame)he now charges his phone in a flameproof bucket in his garage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Hope this helps to explain the technology a bit more.

Mark

simon33

Newly Enlightened
Don,

I am the OEM sales specislist that developed the MegaRay battery pack.

I work directly for the company producing the cells (ie not a re-seller).

If you have any question about the technology I would be only too pleased to provide you with any information you require.

Please e-mail me directly.

DO you have an application in mind? That would be a good starting point as I will be able to demonstrate what we can do for you.

I am going to get Mark to come over and do a series of photos of the cells working with a nail hammered through them to show the safety and durability.

I look forward to talking with you.

Regards,

Simon.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy moley. If there ever was a light that looked like an alien death ray, this bugger is it.

Curious, the business end of the arc lamp looks a lot like the Ushio 300W unit shown here.

Wilkey

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that ARC lamp suspended from those 3 arms, and pointing back into the reflector? if not, what are they for?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Simon33,

Thanks for the post. I actually have a few applications in mind and will send of an E-mail. Thanks!

EDIT: I can't seem to find your E-mail address now? COuld you E-mail me? Address is in my profile (click on my name) Thanks again.

- Don

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I'd be willing to spend a few bucks for a peak in your mind, Don ...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

phyhsuts

Enlightened
The 3 arms hold one end of the Xenon short arc lamp. These are linear lamps with connections at both ends. The arms may also serve as the connection for one electrode. Looking at the wires that seem likely. Ushio and Perkin Elmer make these lamps.

Cones

Enlightened
Hi,

Just a quick post to let everyone know that I have updated the Megaray review with Night and Daytime shots to show exactly how far the beam throws.

Please see my site listed below. There are links to Multimap which show the exact location and Ariel photos.

Mark

Cones

Enlightened
Velcro,

That's exactly how I feel everytime I have to give it back.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

But at least I can look forward to the next time

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am sure at least one of our CPF members will eventually buy one, or build something better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Mark