New Style Clip for the Universal Clip

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on the enthusiastic responses, Im clearly marching to the beat of a different drummer.

There will never be a solution that appeals to everyone... and this is the fastest... and probably the only solutions that "might" come to fruition at HDS for a deep pocket carry bezel down clip.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
deep pocket carry bezel down clip.

oh, I misunderstood, my narrow mind was focused on the Bezel Down part of the equation, for a Rotary

I see now that this clip is also for Clickies to have a deeper carry option than the present clip that goes under the tailcap

well done! A truly Universal Deep Carry Solution...

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Naturally, I would rather have the clip bolted to the light somehow like all of my custom lights do, but as that's got a flying pig's chance of happening, this progress toward a slimmer bezel down option for Rotary where you don't have to clamp it to the dial itself is still welcome advancement.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Naturally, I would rather have the clip bolted to the light somehow like all of my custom lights do, but as that's got a flying pig's chance of happening, this progress toward a slimmer bezel down option for Rotary where you don't have to clamp it to the dial itself is still welcome advancement.

Youre right, the new universal blade does not need to be clamped to the rotary dial, it can be clamped to the head. And youre also right, there is a snowball's chance in Hawaii, that HDS is going to drill holes into the head to hold a clip. So the Universal Clamp, is here to stay.

And the new blade makes it better, since it offers the first true deep carry clip to be available, for any ACME HDS, both Clicky and Rotary. It is indeed a truly Universal Solution.

Plus it harkens back to the days of Yore, when heads had holes in them, and clips were connected to the head of the light, and had long lines and were bent back into a second layer, that creates both bezel up and bezel down carry options, in a single design.

There is a lot to be said for the new blade for the Universal Clamp. It also does not require any changes to the HDS Light, such as screw holes, which much as you and I may want them, I agree with you, are not going to happen.

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Hogo
Will the new clip replace the old version, or is it a 2nd variant? I understand the advantages of the clip design that makes it possible wearing it bezel up and down. For me the disadvantage is that it is not that easy or maybe imüpossible fiddel some shrink tubing on this clip, to prevent the clip scratching on the flashlight surface.

You need to know, I am a person buying often high price products, because I only want to buy once. But I am also a person that uses the products very gently. Therefore I put some shrink tube on clips where the clip has contact to the flashlight surface...

Btw. I like the solution that fyrstormer did with his Rotary.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. So I got a quote back from the company that makes the stainless clips on this new design.
I blew my rape whistle.
I called a couple crisis hotlines.
I curled up in the fetal position and cried like a little girl for an hour.

Well, maybe not but I did blurt out some choice expletives and phrases that questioned both the paternity and career choice of said manufacturers parents.

This was for a quote of 15 of these clips that would replace the short clip on the Universal Clip.
I'm not a clip guy. Henry is not a clip guy. I know many of you are but...

Sit down and have a few choice words ready...

Just the clip that would replace the short clip on the Universal Clip... costs more than the entire Universal Clip.

So there are 3 options here.

1. Just scrap the idea.
2. Just scrap the idea.
3. Go to China which means "just scrap the idea."

Granted, the price would go down with a larger quantity. 15 is really only a prototype run... However Henry does not see demand for say 50 or 100 of these at the price point they would end up at... which would still be stupid high in my opinion. I mean, we would looking at like $120 for a freakin' clip (universal included but MY GOD JIM... I'M A DOCTOR NOT A CLIPSMITH!) I personally just don't see it happening.

I know many folks will say "just find another company to do it." which is much easier said than done... If you know of a U.S. company that does this kind of thing, I'm all ears.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch. That does indeed sound prohibitively expensive. Do you know why it costs so much more that the regular design? I it the loop-over style?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch. That does indeed sound prohibitively expensive. Do you know why it costs so much more that the regular design? I it the loop-over style?

I believe so. I'm not a "metal" guy, but I think it has a lot to do with the design. Freakin' crazy expensive for a clip.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should go to your safe place, Hogo. Eventually, the pocket-clip-rotary crowd will just have to order custom leather.:sweat:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure a quantity of 1000 would greatly reduce the price, but from my conversations with Henry, I know that won't fly. Just don't feel their is the demand.

I may try a feeler thread to see, but I know when I balk at a price... If it were titanium or unobtanium or something other than stainless... well, I might understand.

We got quotes for 5, 10, and 15 pieces. Prototyping is not cheap, but it also gives a good idea of what to expect in limited quantities. Don't want to have 100 made to find out folks hate them or there is some design flaw as well. Nothing feels as crappy as scrapping thousands of dollars in parts... I know... we did it last year.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should go to your safe place, Hogo. Eventually, the pocket-clip-rotary crowd will just have to order custom leather.:sweat:

LOL! My safe space is generally 50-500 yards radius around me depending on what I might have on or near me! LOL!

I really would like to have this clip option for folks, but damn!

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
So not to be a downer here, but what if the clip lost the 2 way functionality, and became more similar to a standard deep carry clip? That would save on and entire reverse bend which may have been part or most of the reason for the cost being so high...

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
doesn't get it.
gangsta.jpg