New Sunwayman R01A ( fenix E01 alike )

njet212

Enlightened
BEAMSHOT

IMG_2248.jpg

Left side fenix E01, Right side Sunway R01A. Sunway R01A has more beautiful beam pattern than Fenix E01. Beam on R01 is perfectly round compared with with Fenix E01.

IMG_2250.jpg

Left side fenix E01, Right side Sunway R01A. Beam Shot using Eneloop AAA on both lights.

IMG_2252.jpg

Left side fenix E01, Right side Sunway R01A. Beam shot using Eneloop AAA on Fenix E01 and 10440 on Sunway R01A. Does not really put significant output when using 10440 on R01, but you can see side spill on R01A is slightly brighter than side spill on R01A using Eneloop.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why doesn't your E01 has any hint of purple for a nichia? Love the tint on your E01.

weirder still is the R01A has what looks like the typical angry blue E01 tint. Maybe he meant E01 is on the left but the image was mirrored?

njet212

Enlightened
It is very hard to get right white balance on beam shot. On my eyes, they both produce similar tint profile. Both have purplish hot spot and neutral white side spill. On fenix E01 the hot spot tint is very purplish than on R01A but the side spill tint on both light is about the same tint color.

I'll try to get better beam shot later.

geckoblink

Newly Enlightened
Any real-world runtime data..?

:popcorn:

Cheers,

Tam
Just finished running it down on a La Crosse AAA 1000 mah. Starting voltage was 1.423 V off the charger, and the ending voltage was 0.948 V. Total runtime to complete shutoff was 9h 41m 16s.

The light flashes on and off, presumably as a low battery warning, toward the end. I don't know if I would consider that usable light. On the other hand, the light that was flashing seemed fairly bright right after it went off (i.e. it didn't seem to dim a lot then spiral toward zero lumens).

Sorry, I didn't do a full charge/discharge cycle so I'm not sure what the battery's actual capacity is. Doing that now.

(Edit: Uhh, after a full charge/discharge cycle my La Crosse BC-9009 showed it had 397 mah... )

Last edited:

geckoblink

Newly Enlightened
I did a runtime test with Duracell Coppertop alkaline AAAs in a Preon I, Fenix E01, and Sunwayman R01A (left to right in the first two pictures):

Hour 18:
hour18600x450.jpg

Hour 19:
hour19600x450.jpg

The front end of the SWM R01A at 19.5 hours:
hour195600x450.jpg

I would consider the SWM R01A "effectively" gone at a little over 20 hours. It will slide into no light, and you can get it running for a few minutes by twisting it off then on again, but the light is very, very dim. You basically have to hold it an inch away or closer from anything you want to read.

I find the behavior a little odd. When I was testing the runtime on rechargable AAAs, the SWM R01A went into increasingly faster strobing at the end of the test. On the alkaline if you twist it off then on again it will do nothing for about 4-6 seconds, light up a LOT, then dim to a very low level rapidly and hold it for 2-3 more minutes. I repeated this process 4 times (an extra ~12 minutes of "runtime") and the results were the same.

(Edit:
The Preon I basically became unusable a little over 26 hours; shot taken at 26h 26m:
hour26600x450.jpg

)

Last edited:

Racer

Enlightened
Battery Junction has the gold Sunwayman R01A for sale.

Nice! Thank you for that info. The anodizing looks beautiful from the pictures. These are going to go quick I should think. I thought about ordering a bunch of them but I'm in enough trouble with the wife already so I just got one. That and I ordered a Maxpedition Rat Wallet too, shhh don't tell her :)

SWM seems to be one of those few flashlight companies that's doing pretty much everything right. My very first "real" flashlight was a SWM M20C last year for the holidays and the quality of it still stands out with all the lights since.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
SWM seems to be one of those few flashlight companies that's doing pretty much everything right.
I'd agree with you on the basic premise of their products, but they definitely showed the inability to offer a Limited Edition run without screwing it up.

Hopefully they'll have more special runs, but with more attention to detail next time.

Racer

Enlightened
As someone who watched that whole snafu unfold from the sidelines I at least gave a few points to SWM for the public apology. They screwed up for sure, and it cost them customers. But not many companies would apologize to the community like that. I think it took courage. Some of the companies regularly discussed here seem to have a complete disconnect from their customers.

Quality problems + company silence = brands I won't be buying.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman have told me via email that the R01 will be available shortly. I did not expect it would be in gold. I will hold out for their standard anodizing which is excellent.

eala

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
As someone who watched that whole snafu unfold from the sidelines I at least gave a few points to SWM for the public apology. They screwed up for sure, and it cost them customers. But not many companies would apologize to the community like that. I think it took courage. Some of the companies regularly discussed here seem to have a complete disconnect from their customers.

Quality problems + company silence = brands I won't be buying.
Very positive point and I can't (nor would I want to) disagree with it. Just wish that they'd made sure all was well beforehand and hope to see another run of the same sort with just a touch better caution applied at the outset.

I'm also hoping to eventually see a AAA version of the V10R UI from them, and hope I'm the first one to have it!

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
...they definitely showed the inability to offer a Limited Edition run without screwing it up...

The V10R Ti2 run was disappointing, but to be fair, they did a great job with the V10R/V10A Anniversary Editions, so technically I'd call them 1 for 2, not 0 for 1. ;)

Racer

Enlightened
Just got my gold R01A and she's a beauty.

First impressions:

-- The fit and finish are superb.

-- The gold anodizing on mine is perfect.

-- It has square threads!

-- It's a little tight to use one-handed but I can live with it.

-- Love the anti-roll bezel.

-- Love the aggresive knurling.

-- As mentioned, it has a better shaped beam than the E01.

-- The beam has a gold-ish corona (reflecting off the edge of the bezel?), which looks kinda weird with the blue tint. Not a big deal - just looks a little different next to the E01.

-- It's possible to get it to tail stand with some determination. Probably not worth the hassle though except for something extaordinary like a long power outage.

Conclusion:

A worthy addition to my AAA collection! I was going to put this on my keychain but the gold anodizing looks too good to scuff up. I think I'll wait for them to sell the black version separately.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The V10R Ti2 run was disappointing, but to be fair, they did a great job with the V10R/V10A Anniversary Editions, so technically I'd call them 1 for 2, not 0 for 1. ;)
I'd go even further and say that they're 9 to 1 in general, as the designs they've come up with have been nothing short of excellent and they are now one of the premier brands to catch up with, having done an end run around many of the established makers.

Hopefully there will be more limited editions with better attention to detail next time around.