NEW! TerraLUX MaxStar5 K2 5W U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C or D cell Maglites TLE-6K2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
$5 - anywhere in the world but frankly I'd suggest EMS for Malaysia - we've found standard service there to be spotty. EMS is $18.50.

EMS $18.50 - with this service can you add in 4 x Tenergy RCR123A 3.0V 900mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery ?

butcher_block

Newly Enlightened
i wasnt looking for 2x brighter that would have been kick ***
just brighter and rated for 6cell im happy i jjust have to see if its worth me changing out the batts fro more light

Gaffle

Enlightened
So is the MaxStar5 out-performing the Diamond 6.5W K2? If so, does it have a runtime like the 3W diamond? Is it brighter then either of these dropins? I need stats because I am going crazy...:banghead:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: NEW! TerraLUX MaxStar5 K2 5W U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C or D cell Maglites TLE-6K2!

I have the latest terralux 3W Lux (TLE-DB3) for three cells running on a 3D mag (black). This drop-in is made for 3-cell operation exclusively.

I just received the K2-5W (TLE-6K2) I ordered after seeing this thread, it's running in a 4D red mag (nice color match!)

Turning both on with fresh Alkaline batteries and aiming a similar sized beam, I can tell that this new drop-in is a LITTLE bit brighter. Definitely not 2X as someone hoped. But maybe the 3W Lux is a good performer because it's dedicated to running 3D cells only (direct drive?).

I imagine as the runtime continues the difference in output will be greater. I didn't notice much divergence after 10 minutes runtime.

Last edited:

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Re: NEW! TerraLUX MaxStar5 K2 5W U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C or D cell Maglites TLE-6K2!

It should for sure be out-preforming the Diamond K2 6.75 because the Diamond K2 6.75 runtime is just sad. Even if for some reason the MaxStar5 doesn't have the intial throw of 10000 lumens but lets just say its at the Diamond 3watt level of 8400 lumens, it still shouldn't drop like either one of those. We have be useing the term 100% brightness in regards to a regulation cure. If the MaxStar starts out with high output and maintians it then its worth every penny and more. I'd be thrilled if the regulation is somewhat flat on the MaxStar5 as I'm not expecting much regulation with no heatsink help. We need a graph but those are always slow in coming. If it has a realitivel high output - lets just say even below a 3 watt at 7000 throw and 3000 over all and it doesn't really drop but say 10%-20% from there then it will be a KILLER LED, because the other K2 is not even holding 40% after it levels off in 10 minutes or so and goes as low as 25% in the first 10 minutes(Maybe they have a deffective K2). So the regulation is the key here, How much magic can the MaxStar5 work to keep the output very close to 100%-80% of the start up. Even if the start up is reduced on the MaxStar5 to just 2/3rds of the K2's Possibility at say 80 lumens but then dosn't drop hardly at all its the best MAG drop in there is, because all the other dropins ar falling below 50 lumens when they are hot after about 5 minutes. If the MaxStar5 did something crazy like 100 lumens and held that above 90% then it a total shocker/winner, but I think its very hard to get a flat line regulation on Alkalines. Can't wait to see it though. The SOLE differing factor of the MaxStar5 is its regulation and how well it works. If you go to FLR and look under the TerraLux reviews you will see how thier regulation has worked on other lights, there seems to be one called the PowerPUSH cicurt and some others but they are more semi regulated and thats what I think we'll get with the MaxStar5, to be truthfull if it even held in the 60%-70% of the intial brightness it will be a much better LED than the Diamonds.

SuperTorch

Enlightened

EngrPaul said:
I have the latest terralux 3W Lux for three cells running on a 3D mag. This drop-in is made for 3-cell operation exclusively.

I just received the K2-5W I ordered after seeing this thread, it's running in a 4D Red mag (nice color match!)

Turning both on with fresh Alkaline batteries and aiming a similar sized beam, I can tell that this new drop-in is a LITTLE bit brighter. Definitely not 2X as someone hoped. But maybe the 3W Lux is a good performer because it's dedicated to running 3D cells only (direct drive?).

I imagine as the runtime continues the difference in output will be greater. I didn't notice much divergence after 10 minutes runtime.

Thanks, this is what we need side by side comparisions with direct drive MAg Luxeon drop in's that we know well.

Well thats actualy a good sign, because theres not from a throw/total output stand point 20% difference in the manufactoring specs so if you are noticeing that compared to a direct drive 3watt that it is brighter for sure, then its a very good sign in my book because it should be hard for the eyes to detect it at only 20% more light output. I like that, now how does the regulation work is what we need to know, if it surprises us and hold the out put any where above 70% then the MaxStar5 should be a real winner.

I find this very interesting, the regulation looks superb and this is a 3Watt Luxeon the output of 4620 means they are geting the full 3watts work out of the bulb as apposed to underdriving it to get a flat regulation curve. Hey we can dream can't we, if they do this with a 120 lumen K2 then it'd be - "Not of this World". http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/terralux_tle-100.htm

Last edited:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

SuperTorch said:
Thanks, this is what we need side by side comparisions with direct drive MAg Luxeon drop in's that we know well.

Well thats actualy a good sign, because theres not from a throw/total output stand point 20% difference in the manufactoring specs so if you are noticeing that compared to a direct drive 3watt that it is brighter for sure, then its a very good sign in my book because it should be hard for the eyes to detect it at only 20% more light output. I like that, now how does the regulation work is what we need to know, if it surprises us and hold the out put any where above 70% then the MaxStar5 should be a real winner.

+1, and definitely keeping an eye out for stats. Hoping for cheap, bright, AND good on this one!

Gaffle

Enlightened
SuperTorch said:
It should for sure be out-preforming the Diamond K2 6.75 because the Diamond K2 6.75 runtime is just sad.

Yeah...looking at the plots again the Diamond 6.75w is really really sad compared to both the Mag LED and the Diamond 3w.

Where is Matt with some MaxStar5 plots!!!:grin2:

SuperTorch

Enlightened

Damn USPS, I got my electric bill but no MaxStar5
banghead.gif

mhubble

Enlightened

Well I got mine today, thanks for the fast shipping. Installation is simple. Just screw it on. I put it in a 5 "C" Cell. Its definetly brighter than the maglite bulb. But not as bright as I thought it would be. I was also hoping for a bigger hotspot. The hotspot on the terralux is just a little bigger than the maglite bulb. About 12" at 20 feet. Very white though. As soon as it gets dark Ill check the throw. If it gets even close to the run times they are talking about its well worth the money. Thanks Terralux and BATTERYJUNCTION.

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened

Did I miss the question, and subsequent answer, but how will this module perform in a Mag 2 C with 3 RCR123A 3.0 volt protected regulated cells - instant implosion, or a viable swap for the LMSA601?

SuperTorch

Enlightened

^ it should be ok what type of battery holder/carrier are you useing to fit the 3 CR123 in the 2C Mag. I'd like to take a look at it I've found me a D to 4AA carrier so I know I can use the 2D set up now. While this is wired in parallel it wont be hard to mod I don't think. http://www.eastgear.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=29_50&products_id=261

Last edited:

SuperTorch

Enlightened

mhubble said:
Well I got mine today, thanks for the fast shipping. Installation is simple. Just screw it on. I put it in a 5 "C" Cell. Its definetly brighter than the maglite bulb. But not as bright as I thought it would be. I was also hoping for a bigger hotspot. The hotspot on the terralux is just a little bigger than the maglite bulb. About 12" at 20 feet. Very white though. As soon as it gets dark Ill check the throw. If it gets even close to the run times they are talking about its well worth the money. Thanks Terralux and BATTERYJUNCTION.

I'm liking what I'm hearing about the color, Pure White is what Im hoping I win in the Lottery - seems like everyone is saying the color is very white. Also your throw comment in your other post sounds exciting, as the nightime should really expose the differences of it and other Mag LED Drop ins. I'd like to get a Center Spot/Throw rating if Matt or anyone has the tools to tell us. I was scared they were under driving it at the start to keep it from heating up, but sounds like its getting 100-120 lumens right out of the gate which would be awsome.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
nanotech17 said:
EMS $18.50 - with this service can you add in 4 x Tenergy RCR123A 3.0V 900mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery ?

4 Batteries, yes, but not the 4 batteries/charger kit. That would be more like $26.

SuperTorch

Enlightened

Matt can you measure your currents on yours in a 4 cell setup, others are finding it in the 500mA range, I'd be currious what your getting. Hear any more info from TerraLUX on runtime and will they send you a copy of the graph.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

EngrPaul - the 3W units are direct drive and they ar good performers. The biggest story herei definitely regulation. We (TerraLUX and BatteryJuction.com) had discussed doing the 3W as a regulated unit but it made more sense to go with the brighter, more efficient K2.

SuperTorch - It' possible, nay probable that the "6.75w" Diamond unit can run brighter but for what - a few minutes? I think the graph on FLR tells that story pretty cleary -where's that drop? minute 2? :p Output won't be totaly flat with alkaline's I'd expect but NiMh should be rock steady.

Gaffle - No time nor frankly the tools to do so unfortunately - I have no doubts one of you will make it happen soon and I'll be sending a unit to FLR in the next few days.

mhubble - Thanks and enjoy!

PeteBroccolo - Interesting question. I think I have an adapter from a Lux V 2D upgrade kicking around here somewhere - will try to get around to testing it mid-next week. My only concern would be the initial voltage before the PCB's kicked the voltage down.

SuperTorch - Pete is referring to an adapter that I've only seen with the Lux V Mag upgrades we used to sell - basically a PVC tube with a metal end. that makes possible the use of 3 CR123A in a 2D body. For the Center Spot/Throw rating you'll have to depend upon someone else - sorry buddy - I haven't even had time to do beamshots :/

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

SuperTorch said:
Matt can you measure your currents on yours in a 4 cell setup, others are finding it in the 500mA range, I'd be currious what your getting. Hear any more info from TerraLUX on runtime and will they send you a copy of the graph.

Not without ripping one apart I don't think I can - is there even a way to test current with the LED in place? I'd be very curious to see how they're arriving at this number. Link?

Anyway - it's all I can do right now to pop in here and answer a few questions - not to belabor the point but we're in our busiest few weeks of the year and I'm already working 15+ hours a day - it's now 2 AM as I type this and I got here at 8AM - you do the math :p

TerraLUX doesn't make or release runtime plots - that stuff happens here and on review sites.

CostcoAAcells

Newly Enlightened

My MaxStar5 arrived today. I put it into a 3D mag with fresh Duracell alkalines. I focused it down to a tight beam and was disappointed in the brightness. Judging by eye, it's not as bright as my LedBeam--which is only a 3 watt Luxeon. Thinking it might get brighter still in a bigger mag host, I placed the MaxStar5 in a 6D mag. Again, was not as bright as my LedBeam.

I'm wondering if I perhaps lost some K2 Luxeon lottery or if there is a magic number (4D or 5D) that I should be using instead to get this module to perform better.

SuperTorch

Enlightened

Mattk, You've come here everyday to answer questions so don't feel like your leaving us hanging by not constantly checking in. I'm a early adapter on this LED so its my problem if its not up to par because I know better and to wait and didn't(not that I wont be happy with it). I'd be more disappointed in the fact that its just not that bright than the fact that I spent $30. I want a really high throw MAG led so this will do spectaular or not, unless it just turn out to be really average, we've had some mix opinions some have said nice and bright more so than a 3Watt MAG Drop in, which that would be acceptable to me.

heres the link from the others I don't know how they arrive at the currents, but I think a multi-meter will do it, set in in mA mode and connect the series to light it, but as I've said many time I a nuby so that may be way off. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/143952

Hope I get it tomorrow. :)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

Assuming I didn't get a defective unit, my conclusion is that this is a 5W emitter is only driven half it's wattage. While this doesn't produce more light at time zero, it probably (?) produces brighter light into the run while others fade.

We'll have to wait for someone with light measuring device to chime in with a full or partial runtime plot.

Is it a the best drop-in? I tend to think so, as long as you have 4 cells (Alkaline) or 5 cells (NiMH).

So is it all that it's sold to be? You be the judge.

"Lightly overdriven this will output 100-135 lumens (120typical)"
It's is sold as a 5W drop-in. I measured less than 4W from the batteries at all times.

"-Output is the same regardless of 3-6, C/D cells."
I measured less than 2W with 3D Alkalines.

"-BRIGHT!"
"We have something new and exciting coming in the world of MiniMag drop-in upgrades. Bright. Very bright."

Is it new, exciting, and significantly brigher?

I'm not upset, but I have a slight case of early adopter blues ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.