New Thrunite Ti

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took 800 grit sandpaper and a green stochbrite pad to the knurling parts only. This really improved the grip and gave the knurling a more defined appearance.

timbo114

Enlightened
Fantastic idea!
I just masked the smooth parts and used some medium emory cloth to sharpen degloss the knurl.

Thank you :thumbsup:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the short chain and key ring clip. I can grab ahold of the ring at the end with my pinky while thumb and pointer finger manipulate the head on and off. All of my AAA have them on - is3, Ti3, and Ti.

robert.t

Enlightened
I took 800 grit sandpaper and a green stochbrite pad to the knurling parts only. This really improved the grip and gave the knurling a more defined appearance.

Pictures? Curious to know how this looks with part sanded and part polished. It could either look really good, or really naff.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good deal Timbo114 let me know how it works out for you.

Robert I'll try to snap a picture later this evening, maybe be hard tell it in my pictures. I'm no professional photographer, just a mediocre amateur.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast

In this picture hopeful you can see where I sanded the battery tube more. The head has been sanded some but still needs more taken off.

gunga

Flashaholic
While the light is not super slippery, the knurling is not as grippy as it should be. Thanks for the tips, I've done a little de-glossing with some light sanding and steel wool. It seems to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, what Thrunite should have done was did the knurling after the polish. Still a nice light for the money though and at least its not too abrasive because that can be bad too.

westfork

Newly Enlightened
I see this is now being offered in either a cool white or neutral white. Since the earlier "cool white" ones seemed to be neutral, I wonder what the neutral will look like? Ordered a couple just to see :)

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see this is now being offered in either a cool white or neutral white.

So far I have only seen the Thrunite Ti with the XPL-V4.

Since the XPL goes up to V5 and V6, the V4 is kind of neutral, depending.

Thrunite, Amazon, and other vendors have used both
'Cool White' and 'Neutral White' interchangeably to describe the XPL-V4.

The Amazon listing has several different "versions"
the last month when describing the same XPL-V4 Ti.

I have seen it jump back and forth from "Cool White" to "Neutral White".

However, it is still the XPL-V4.

So where do you see a specific listing for XPL-V3 ?

Last edited:

timbo114

Enlightened
Cree XP-L V3-5D 1133.42LM 3700-4000K
Cree XP-L V4-3D 1186.43LM 4750-5000K
Cree XP-L V5-2A 1186.05LM 5700-6000K
< fasttech info

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the V4 is the output bin guys? Cant there be many different temps and chromaticities from the same output bin? Thrunite doesnt list the chromaticity or temp bin that I can find.

I am guessing they are all the same and that the variation is due to error in the retailers descriptions. I only see one version listed on Thrunite's site.

Last edited:

timbo114

Enlightened

In this picture hopeful you can see where I sanded the battery tube more. The head has been sanded some but still needs more taken off.

This is how I permanently fixed the slippy grip knurling ... silica sand in a media blaster.

P1010038_zps7cb14173.jpg

P1010043_zpsb88a769c.jpg

Last edited:

robert.t

Enlightened
This is how I permanently fixed the slippy grip knurling ...

That looks pretty good. Same technique as KDM?

Mine still hasn't arrived and finally agreed with the seller for a full refund. I've now placed an order with Amazon and will be getting mine tomorrow, at last, hooray! If the knurling isn't grippy enough then I might be doing this myself.

jruser

Newly Enlightened
I didn't see a separate thread, but they now have the TiS. It is the same as this, only with xp-g2. I just got the NW version from amazon. Beautiful light with a good tint.

robert.t

Enlightened
I didn't see a separate thread, but they now have the TiS. It is the same as this, only with xp-g2. I just got the NW version from amazon. Beautiful light with a good tint.

Wait is that the single-mode version of the old Ti (or Ti2, Ti3) which is made of aluminium and a completely different design to the one discussed in this thread, or have they released yet another new model with a confusingly similar (i.e., exactly the same) name as a different model?

The Ti ("Christmas Edition") that we're discussing here is completely different to the Ti and is the only one that has anything to do with Titanium... I hate Thrunite so much for making me have to write this post.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I understand it, the Thrunite Ti ($30) is always titanium, with XP-L emitter. The aluminum version, with XP-G2 emitter, is the Ti3 ($20).

As for the TiS, apparently they did use exactly the same name for both, even though they are very different. You can buy a Thrunite TiS, aluminum, single mode for about ten dollars. You can also buy a four mode (including strobe) made of stainless steel, for about twenty-five dollars.

:shakehead

Last edited: