New To CPF --- Need Help Deciding

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have been given a lot of good options by the other posters. Out of the three lights you mentioned in your original post, I like the Wolf Eyes 6AX. I have an older version of it and it is extremely bright (I think it was rated at 150 lumens and I believe it!), has good runtime, and it is tough as nails. It is not too large and it should work fine in a holster. The model I ordered also has multi brightness modes. It will also use 18650 rechargeables (You can get good runtime from these cells) and has an upgradeable LED module. I also like and own a Surefire 6P LED and I like it a lot. It gives you a lifetime warranty, it is upgradeable, but it will not take rechargeable batteries other than CR123R's, which do not give very good runtime. If it will take another type, somebody correct me! It does give a good runtime though right out of the box however, and it may work for you without upgrading the LED. The lumens ratings on Surefire lights are very conservative.

Mike

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You will notice a difference in output. It shouldn't be hard to tell which is the brighter one but it won't be an OMG experience.

The other drop-ins also seem to throw further. I think they have a deeper reflector then the Surefire P60L.

Stainz

Enlightened
Belay my last! The Fenix '4 in 1' P2D/L1D Q5 Prem kit seems to be gone - oos - big oops there. Someone may just have one in stock. I'd just spend a few extra bucks and get a SF 6P LED... maybe a few more ($21/12 for SF CR123s.) and get free shipping (LA Police, etc.).

Stainz

Cray

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again everyone for your input. I really appreciate all of your helpful replies :twothumbs. I'm down to deciding between 4 lights (Surefire 6p LED, Wolf Eyes 6AX HO Q5, Lumapower M1-T and the Dereelight CL1H v3.0 2SM). This is gonna be tough.

By the way, does anyone know the lumens rating for the Dereelight CL1H v3.0 2SM as well as the runtimes on CR123s and 18650s?

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6PL is a good option because if you don't like the SF LED module you can sell it and but a higher powered one from Dealextreme or Kai domain, if you don't mind waiting for the long shipping process.

maxa beam

Banned
Thanks again everyone for your input. I really appreciate all of your helpful replies :twothumbs. I'm down to deciding between 4 lights (Surefire 6p LED, Wolf Eyes 6AX HO Q5, Lumapower M1-T and the Dereelight CL1H v3.0 2SM). This is gonna be tough.

By the way, does anyone know the lumens rating for the Dereelight CL1H v3.0 2SM as well as the runtimes on CR123s and 18650s?
I don't think lumen ratings are out, but you can probably find runtime by googling it.

That being said, I'll go ahead and throw in my $0.02.
Get the Surefire Optimus coming out any day now. (Or the 6P LED.) I'd go for it, atleast,( I find myself recommending this flashlight alot lately, o_O), but there's another model I have my eye on, too. More on that later. I don't even know where to begin.
It's a SUREFIRE, man. That means waterproof to one atmosphere, bulletproof ruggedness, reliability(Their main customer is the military, after all.), performance... Everything. Ask any given member here what the best brand of flashlight is and nine out of ten will tell you "Surefire".
Oh, yes. The Optimus. Almost forgot. It has a maximum of a scorching 200 LUMENS, more than any of the mentioned lights. Surefire is pretty much the only company that uses an integrating sphere to measure lumen output. Other manufacturers measure torch lumens, while Surefire measures out-the-front lumens. A 100 lumen Surefire is usually brighter than a 150 lumen other-brand. The leds are sorted, making sure you won't get a fluke. It has one LED of unknown make, but whatever it is, it must be pretty efficient. The Optimus has 11 settings..
1: Off.
2: SOS
3: 2 Lumens.
4: 4 Lumens.
5: 8 Lumens.
6: 15 Lumens.
7: 30 Lumens.
8: 60 Lumens.
9: 120 Lumens.
10: 200 Lumens.
11: Strobe.
The lowest, 2 lumens, runs for 100 hours. Judging from the runtime of Surefire's combatlights, which also run on two 123s, the Optimus' highest setting will be available for a long time.
It also has a Military-Spec Type 3 Hard-Anodize coating. It's a beautiful black coating of aluminum oxide, a substance up there with diamond and other precious gems. It's chemically grown onto the surface, so don't worry about paint chipping! Very few manufacturers provide mil-spec anodize.

It also has a stepped-down body and rubber grip. It's called combatgrip, and provides an amazingly secure grip.
That may be a little hard to picture, or maybe I'm just relieving your eyes with some eyecandy of this beautiful flashlight. Either way, have a picture.
policestuff_2001_208899501

The Optimus also has a fuel guage led. It glows green when the battery is full, orange when medium, red when low. I haven't thought of this, but that could also serve as a locater if you dropped the flashlight.
Oh, that's not all. It has a magnetic selector ring for cycling through the modes, and if you don't feel like doing that and need maximum power RIGHT THEN, press the MaxBlast tailcap.
OH, and some more features.
The Optimus also has an adjustable focus beam and a total internal reflector, meaning it gathers almost ALL of the light from the LED, while reflectors gather less. But, anyways, variable focus. It focuses the beam into either a pleasing wall of light(Indoor use, maybe.), or a sharp, piercing beam for throwing lots of lumen very far. And ask any member of the forums if the Surefire L4 is an amazing wall-of-light illumination tool, or if the L1 is an amazing thrower, and most, or all, will say yes. The beams on Surefires are some of my favorite. (The L4 in particular.)
It works by having a rippled "plate" over the total internal reflector, which moves further or closer to the TIR, redistributing the energy of the light. It, theoretically, would work great, with minimal light loss. Other focusable flashlights, like maglites, move the reflector further away from the beam, or closer to it, and reflectors have only one focal point. This means the beam becomes ridden with rings, holes, and imperfections, meaning less light if transmitted, meaning less visibility.
The body is made of aircraft-grade aluminum, an alloy extremely tough and resilient, and it transfers heat very well, not that LEDS produce alot of heat (not NEARLY as much as incandescents.). Oh, it uses a Lexan window, which is scratch, and shock resistant, with anti-reflective coatings on each side, meaning almost all of the light is transmitter to the target. It costs 289 USD and comes with 20 lithium primary Surefire batteries, my favorite brand. That's enough to last a VERY long time, as the Optimus takes 2 batteries.
I'm sure I missed a bunch of features, but that's all I can remember off the top of my head. You can guess that I spend alot of my time salivating at it. The only possible downside to this light I can ever think of: It doesn't use rechargeables, but they're extremely volatile and, unless you get protected ones, can die very, very soon if you overuse them. Protected rechargeables are expensive, and plus you need an expensive charger.. This stuff's enough to buy alot of Surefire Lithium 123s, which are 1.75 USD.

Woah, I just now realized I just created a wall of text describing a 6.5 inch, 6.5 gram flashlight. Oh well, it benefits the person asking the question, and it makes me tingly recounting the features of this amazing tool in detail.

You can also gather how reliable Surefire is when I'm recommending a light not even out yet.

There's another model called the Invictus coming out later, which is the same light, except very slightly longer, and it has no variable-focus ability.
The upside?
It has..

400 LUMENS.
That seems merely like a number..
Go ask about the Surefire M6, a 500 lumen incandescent, and you'll know why it's so amazing. I would gladly shell out 400+ dollars for a 400 lumen Every Day Carry light. I'll probably get both. If I could pick one? Optimus. 200 Lumens is blindingly bright, which is why it has multiple modes. When I got my first multi-level I thought "I'll be using this on high all the time.", untill I actually SAW it.

Last edited:

Cray

Newly Enlightened
Thanks maxa beam, but 289 USD is a bit out of my budget. However, you realize you are responsible for creating some SERIOUS flashlight lust.

maxa beam

Banned
Thanks maxa beam, but 289 USD is a bit out of my budget. However, you realize you are responsible for creating some SERIOUS flashlight lust.
Haha, that's not my doings, it's Surefire's for making great lights.

Maybe you'll be less restricted in coming times and be able to get one. Believe me, when you really want a flashlight money seems to mysteriously pop up.

And there's always gonna be people who bought it and realized they don't need a superlight, so they'll be selling it at reduced price on the marketplace. Check there often.

bezel

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for a 6P + Malkoff M60. Again, goes over your budget and isn't HA - but the M60 beam rules and you could run it on one 17670 (which I preffer rather than 2 RCR 123s) at maybe slightly less than full brightness but great runtime. For me, the Malkoff gets dim before it does damage to a single 17670 rechargeable, so you could feed it with the cheaper non-protected rechargeables. If you use 2 RCR 123s, you must use protected cells.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The CL1H should be in the 200 lumen range or close out the front on high from what I've seen.

As for runtimes, check here for the 2SD 18650, 3SD 18650, (same driver, Lightreview's CL1H 3.0 was a defective sample, one of the few). There are a few different drivers.

I'd pick the CL1H because it seems to be the most versatile of the bunch. Accepts 18650 batteries and P60 drop-ins. Forward clickie too.

bezel

Newly Enlightened
Another thing to consider if you plan to use the light in sticky situations and plan to use rechargeables. I may have touched on this in my above post, but I don't like my lights to go from bright to off (suddenly). That is another reason I like that the Malkoff M60 drops off in brightness on the voltage curve where it does.

bezel

Wattnot

Enlightened
I recommended the CL1H first, and many followed, and I see it's on your list . . . but the 2SM has a small price in output for the convenience of taking both 18650's AND CR123's. It's not much . . . maybe 10 or 15 percent? But it was enough to make me trade in my 2SM for a 1S pill.

Most people like the 3D pill but with that (and most other Dereelight pills) you CANNOT use CR123's. If you're going to use this light a lot, you should set yourself up with rechargeables and simply carry an extra 18650 in your pocket. The runtime on high with an 18650 is going to be a couple of hours.

Cray

Newly Enlightened
The lumens ratings on Surefire lights are very conservative.

Mike

Just how conservative are Surefire's lumens ratings? Since the 6P LED is rated at 80 lumens, does that mean it's more like 100 lumens when compared to most other manufacturers ratings?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Depends.

It seems as if the 80 lumen rating is pretty accurate.

As for other manufactures, depends on which ones.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just how conservative are Surefire's lumens ratings? Since the 6P LED is rated at 80 lumens, does that mean it's more like 100 lumens when compared to most other manufacturers ratings?

Some lumens ratings on lights are not rated based on how much actually comes out of the light. Surefire's and a few other manufacturers are. Some are just blown out of proportion to sell a light. For example, I have a small Ultrafire single CR123 light (sorry, I do not remember the model) that was rated at 200 lumens with a Rebel led installed in it. My Surefire 6P is brighter than it. Sometimes lumens ratings are just marketing hype.

Mike

Cray

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, guys, for all your input. I've decided to go with a Surefire 6P LED. It's on order, but I haven't received it yet. That being said, I'm probably also going to try to get a Dereelight CL1H v3.0 2SM --- maybe for this Christmas. We'll have to see how things go (my wife thinks I have lost my mind with this flashlight "obsession").

Then, to make things worse, I also just stumbled upon the Tiablo MA6. Man, that is a sweet looking light. Someone
help.gif
me.

Cray

Newly Enlightened
Still haven't received my Surefire 6P LED yet, but I have another question. If I use a Malkoff M60 (or M60L) drop-in in the 6PL, is there a way to end up with a 2-mode light (high & low) just by swapping out tailcaps? Or do I have to look for a drop-in that is specifically designed to have a high and a low output?