Newbie-- Need help deciding b/t Fenix ld20 and 4sevens qaurk AA^2

tandem

Enlightened
A couple of factors pushing me toward the 4Sevens is the moonlight mode, arguably better pocket clip, and the complaints of losing the lower brightness levels on the Fenix when using certain batteries.

Having not experienced the old clip, all I can say is the pocket clip on the new Fenix LD10/20 (the R4) functions well for me.

With regards to batteries more exotic than NiMH rechargables, it is true that lower output levels are lost when the LD10/20 is driven past a certain point with higher voltage from certain cell types. I think Selfbuilt's review gives a good overview of what is lost when. Lithium non rechargables are only an issue for the 2xAA format LD20, you lose nothing here on the LD10. The AW 14500 is an issue for the LD10 only. Neither the LD20 or 4Sevens AA2 can run two AW14500 cells so that isn't even a consideration for comparison if looking at double AA cell format lights.

If using lower output levels with 2x lithium non rechargable cells is key to your usage, then you should consider another light.

That said, if we try to do an apples to apples output comparison between lights looking at relative output and runtimes, you might be surprised to find that in some cases a bog standard NiMH in the Fenix light outperforms the higher voltage AW14500. There maybe other such output stories - I just looked more carefully at the single AA cell format lights for my own purposes. For example with the MiNi and LD10 using AW 14500 in the former and NiMH cell in the latter, the NiMH cell in the LD10 performs better than the Li Ion cell in the MiNi.

Compare the AW 14500 delivered output of the 4Sevens MiNi on "medium" --somewhere between 30-35 on the relative scale for most of its output over ) for 3 hr 23min using an AW14500. Using a mere NiMH cell, the 2000mAh Sanyo Eneloop, the LD10 R4 delivers roughly the same output but for 4 hr 15 minutes.

I recognize you are asking about the LD20 / 4Sevens AA2 - just wanted to use the LD10 as an illustration here that sometimes a more exotic cell doesn't deliver quite what we expect.

I know the light functions properly on alkalines, but what about standard rechargeables (i.e. eneloop) and standard Energizer or Duracell lithium batteries you can pick up at any store? Will the lower levels still function on the Fenix using these cells?

More "standard" cells seem to be what the LD10/20 R4 was designed for, and thrives on. The output and runtimes on alkalines (use in a pinch) and NiMH (the regular diet for a light like this) are excellent. I run mine with Sanyo Eneloops and Powerex Imedions, and I know I can dig around in someone's junk drawer or stop at a corner store and pick up some AA alkalines and get good output and runtime.

In short: If you expect to primarily be a NiMH rechargeable user, the LD10/20 has probably the better story as far as output and runtime. If specific quality of light is more important, you are going to pick the 4Sevens or Fenix light on those merits alone. If maximum output and max runtime out of corner store available batteries is most important, the Fenix has the lead here too (LD20 has more than an hour more output using Energizer Lithium L91 than the Quark AA2).

Last edited:

tabs

Newly Enlightened
I'm still waiting for the Quark AA2 to arrive. But after saving some money, I will also be getting the LD20 for sure. Looking forward to your beam shot comparison. :D