Newbie needs advice

biscuitbarrel

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for an LED flashlight and I was wondering what is important to look for? Lumens? Number of LED's?

Thanks!

simonsays

Newly Enlightened
Consider what you intend to use it for and then try and balance out the following factors

Size
Brightness
Runtime
Form factor
Build quality
Initial cost
Running costs (Battery type)

Place too much emphasis on any single factor and you tend to have to compromise on some of the others.

Hold on tight to your wallet while you tread these illuminated halls;)

Simon

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats your annual buget for lights? Just kidding...somewhat. But deciding what your limit is needs to me looked at first. Do you want a keychain light...maybe start with that. Maybe a general every day carry (EDC). Beam thrower or wall of light? What type of batts do you prefer, common or 123 lithium. Do you want one expensive high quality light...or many of lesser quality? Do you want top of the line...Surefire ($100~$300 generally) for example. Of some lower like Fenix ($50) for example.

Have fun and welcome!

Ken

biscuitbarrel

Newly Enlightened
I'll be using this flashlight for camping / hiking / fishing at night. I also need an emergency light for around the house and one for the car.

I've always bought Maglites in the past. I'd like something more compact, something I know is rugged and something as bright as possible. I'm thinking about something in the sub-$30 range to start out, then when I learn more maybe a higher end light.

Thanks for all your help!

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello biscuitbarrel and welcome at CPF:)

Here are a few links to get an idea. In this pricerange are a lot of usefull lights, so IMO it would be helpfull, you select a few lights you'll like and ask specific questions about these:

Flashlight Reviews and LED Modifications

WWW.LEDMUSEUM.ORG * THE LED MUSEUM - Reviews of LEDs & LED Flashlights - Gallium Indium Nitride UV, violet, purple, blue, aqua, turquoise, green, white. Also Gallium Arsenide and others. New LED MUSEUM! GaN, InGaN, SiC, GaAs, GaP, GaAlP, ZnSe, LED flashlight, LED flashlights. Formerly For The Love of LEDs

Zaklamp test

Best regards

____
Tom

biscuitbarrel

Newly Enlightened
That Fenix looks good, plus free shipping. What's the difference between a Luxeon LED and a 5mm LED? Also has anyone used an Inova X1 or x5?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
My criteria are:

Easy to find cells (AA or D is what I use)

Lumens

Run time.

Heat sinking is very important.

If I were you, I would get MagLite LED in 3AA (about $20 in Home Depot, $23 in Chimart) or Princeton Tec Yukon HL Headlamp for around $30 off ebay, also 3AA.

Last edited:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
biscuitbarrel said:
That Fenix looks good, plus free shipping. What's the difference between a Luxeon LED and a 5mm LED? Also has anyone used an Inova X1 or x5?
Luxeon vs 5mm: Luxeon is way brighter and whiter, but battery runtime is shorter. 5mm dimmer, distinctly bluish, but long runtime. Most 5mm are without optics and tend to be very floody and not much throw (short range). For most applications I would recommend a Luxeon.

Inova X1/X5: Built like a tank. Very robust. X5: very floody, unregulated (dims continously), uses expensive CR123A lithium batteries. One of the favorites around here due to built quality and long runtime. X1: Came in 2 versions. The older had a very peculiar, perfectly circular beam. The circle was of homogenous brightness, but its diameter rather small. Was deemed not very useful by most people, but was loved by some because of it (myself included). Was replaced by a version with reflector, which produces a dim flood. It's more useful, but removed the distinctniveness of the old version (there are many similar lights like the new X1 out there). Runs on 1 standard AA battery.

For your application and budget, give the Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon a try. The new MiniMagLeds are also pretty good, especially when loaded with AA Lithiums.

Fenix are also pretty good for the price. But their still relatively new, with no company track record and no warranty system in place. Try to get them from a good US dealer like lighthound.com. I have quite a bunch of them, but I'm not sure if I would take them on a night fishing trip. Of course I would carry backup, but I trust an SL ProPoly Lux more.

Last edited:

biscuitbarrel

Newly Enlightened
OK I've narrowed down my requirements:

Brightness: About as bright as spotlight. Or the sun.

Batteries: I'd prefer to never have to change batteries.

Price: Very very cheap. Free if possible.

Thanks guys!

biscuitbarrel

Newly Enlightened
Well I went a little over my budget and bought at Fenix P1 and a Dorcy Metal Gear. The P1 is a great little light! It's smaller and lighter than I expected. It has a very bright white light with a bright center spot and a large "flood." My only complaint is that the action of the on/off is a little stiff. The best price I could find on a Duracell battery was $7 locally. Any suggestions on buying replacements? I've found them for a couple of dollars online but after you pay for shipping it's just as expensive. The Dorcy is a good light also for the price. It's almost as bright as the Fenix and seems well made. My only complaint with it is that the button prevents it from being used as a candle. While buying the Metal Gear at Walmart I also picked up the Nite Eyes LED upgrade for my old AA Maglite but I was dissapointed. It was not that bright and the beam had three "lobes" from the three LED's that I didn't like. All in all I can say that this newbie is hooked. Thanks for all your help! If anyone can make a suggestion on the lithium batteries let me know...

mitch586

Newly Enlightened
Good choice on the P-1. For CR123 batteries, you can get Battery Station brand from
http://www.lighthound.com for $1.25 each, or a buck each for Titanium brand from http://www.amondotech.com Get a dozen or more to save on shipping, or pick up some more lights while you're at it. Locally, the best price I can find on 123 cells is the two pack Energizer at Lowe's for less than $6. Haven't looked in a while, but I think the single packaged cell costs the same. Strange.

edit: oops, wrong post

Last edited: