News about Zebralight SC600 (XM-L, 18650)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to the XM-L in the H501 though, I don't see why not since their is no reflector.

The reason why you can't do that is because the H501 series uses an optic to spread the beam evenly over a wide area. ZL faces some challenging situation when trying to change the XR-E within to an XP-G. They then dropped the idea and opted to use a reflector with diffusing lens on the H51 series. XM-L would pose a much bigger challenge when used in the H501 body.

Last edited:

mrlysle

Enlightened
Dave, Wade,

Let us know how your lights are when you get them... I'd love to have one too but I gotta pay down my CC a bit before the wife kills me...

In all honesty, the SC50w+ I have does pretty much everything I need in an EDC light, and I love the small size. The only reason I want an SC60w is because, well, I want one... :D

Hey B0wz3r, you'll really like the SC60w. Get one for sure. I really like my SC51, but I love the SC60w!

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
If thrunite can put XML in those little Nuetron Series lights, then Zebralight should be able as well. Or is it lack of the depth of reflector, not the width

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me repeat. What makes the H501 different is the fact that it produces a hotspot free beam. We clear on that? To do that, an optic needs to be used. Understand so far? Problem is this optic don't work well with an emitter die bigger than the XR-E profile, and that is why Zebralight decided to produce the H51 series and venture into a new model with reflector instead of continuing with the use of the H501 series. Are you telling me that the Thrunite Neutron series of lights are hot spot free? Totally smooth beam from edge to edge with no hot spot?

I mean I have no idea since I have yet to handle a Thrunite Neutron yet. Would have bought one if not for the wonky clip.

Last edited:

PCS

Newly Enlightened
If thrunite can put XML in those little Nuetron Series lights, then Zebralight should be able as well. Or is it lack of the depth of reflector, not the width
And 4sevens managed to fit the XM-L in a Mini, but they say they can't use it in their standard size Quark.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
My SC60W. has fast become a favorite; the size is perfect and the 'light oozes quality! I don't think I've seen a more attractive or cleaner beam, the tint is perfect and the the transition from hot-spot to spill gradual and seamless. It looks, feels and performs like a custom 'light...enough said!

Now, what I'd like is a high CRI based on the SC60 - About 140 lumens, 93-95 index, about 3,800K. & 18650 with a switch just a tad firmer and in the great light bronze color my SC60W. sports. Are you there Lillian?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might find this thread interesting...

- Jas.

That would be great if it is doable. My main question is how is zebralight going to make this setup waterproof? Would putting an O ring directly on the emitter make it waterproof? This thread may be the SC600 thread but since the topic of XM-L and H501 was brought up, I thought I should bring up this question. I had thought of this configuration, much like the mule from McGizmo. Whilst the mule spots a glass lens right in front of the bezel, I often wonder how Zebralight could incorporate a glass lens into the H501 lights considering the XM-L seems to be quite huge and the body quite small? If they use the H51 body it might still be possible. But H501? Don't think so.

HIDblue

Enlightened
I was referring to putting an XM-L in ZL's SC51/SC30/H51 series of lights...not the H501. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that's why carpentry hero made reference to Thrunite's Neutron series of lights.

I have the Thrunite Neutron 1C and really like the floody beam of the XM-L and think it would be great in either an SC51 or H51.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was referring to putting an XM-L in ZL's SC51/SC30/H51 series of lights...not the H501. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that's why carpentry hero made reference to Thrunite's Neutron series of lights.

I have the Thrunite Neutron 1C and really like the floody beam of the XM-L and think it would be great in either an SC51 or H51.

If you refer to my post #21, and jhc37013's post #19, you will realize that I was referring to his question. It has nothing to do with your post. I apologize for the confusion caused due to my going off-topic.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
XM-L in H51 body sounds really good. Something brighter/more efficient and more floody than the H51 would be very close to the ultimate light for me.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just so to make myself clear. I am not against ZL putting an XM-L in their lights. In fact I would be more than pleased if they choose to do so. I was just stating the reason why Zebralight may not be putting an XM-L in the H501 series in reference to the question asked by jhc37013 and I believe I misunderstood carpentry hero's reply. My apologies to carpentry hero.

JA(me)S

Enlightened
And back to our regularly scheduled programming... News about the SC600.

The only thing I can add is this (received from Lillian on 2/4/11):

The dimensions have not being finalized yet (our engineering prototypes finished here in Texas has a diameter that's about 30% over the SC60, but it will most likely be changed based on the machining environment in China). The first batch will use XM-L cool white.
- Jas.

HIDblue

Enlightened
No worries pjandyho...any chance you'll have some outdoor beamshots of the ZL lights in action like you did with the HDS clicky's? Those shots were incredibly useful...

And as Jas said...back to business...

The SC60 has got to be one of the smallest 1x18650 lights around, someone correct me if I'm wrong...but I wonder why the diameter is going to be 30% larger? Either way...very much looking forward to it.

When I bought my first ZL, an SC30, I initially wasn't a big fan of the UI...but using other lights with various UI's has made me really appreciate the UI of the Zebralights. Instant access to whatever mode from "off."

srfreddy

Enlightened
Maybe they're overengineering it? The Zebralights are pretty skinny, I guess a thicker body will greatly help heat dissapation and heat transfer along the body. This is their first foray into high output 18650 lights...

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
The SC60 has got to be one of the smallest 1x18650 lights around, someone correct me if I'm wrong...but I wonder why the diameter is going to be 30% larger? Either way...very much looking forward to it.
Just to be precise - the remark was that the engineering prototypes are about 30% larger in diameter; they may have been focused on working on the driver circuitry at that point and the final body might be very different. Or perhaps they've got a surprise up their sleeve... we'll have to wait and see.

srfreddy

Enlightened
Well, you have to consider that pretty much every high power XML light is pretty damn big: Lumintop TD15X 15cm by 37 mm head width.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lillian could have been referring to the head being 30% larger since the XM-L is so much larger than the XP-G. Maybe it would have been too floody & a larger head would correct that....who knows. Also, I agree with srfreddy that maybe it will be 30% larger simply to assist with the heat dissapation for the large LED size. If there is a surprise I hope that it comes in the form of a newly designed switch that is more difficult to accidently get switched on in your pocket....we will find out soon enough.

Last edited:

srfreddy

Enlightened
I personally think that I would prefer a softer switch, but I probably am going to pass on the SC600 and get either the H51w or, maybe if they come out with one, XML equipped H3200w. :D As I'm going to go with the neutral Thrunite 1C for my next EDC.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK very excited about my recent TK35, but this talk of an SC600 is putting me into hysteria. Great to see Zebra is still on the forefront. Love all my Zebras... and old timers will know I have plenty of them. They also make truely wonderful gifts. My SC60w though will just be arriving next week. I should have a few weeks to play with it and use it as my EDC before the SC600 ships. I've been out of flashlights for a while, the ones I own have been working great and no need to update, but the XM-L and the TK35 got me looking at CPF again. Too bad lots of information was lost in the crash, that must have been painful.