NI-AL-Bronze and 464 Naval Brass HDS going on sale...

Captain_Nemo

Newly Enlightened
Can't wait.

So here I am waiting for the shipping notice for a Brass HDS, flush with NB35. First light over $100 and I had to make it a doozy...

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Can't wait.

Congrats and welcome to the forum!

You will love your new light when it arrives. Sw35 is a nice warm tint but not too warm . Probably something similar to the light my lights in my house put out

Let us know your thoughts when it arrives

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Re: Can't wait.

So here I am waiting for the shipping notice for a Brass HDS, flush with NB35. First light over $100 and I had to make it a doozy...

You made it a doozy alright! it took me a while to get over $50 for a light...then a Malkoff just over the $100 mark...then I jumped into what I thought was a bit wacky with a $250 used Rotary...then went over the $300 mark with a High Noon Rotary....then...well...special metals run...Lordy...
BTW, I also think you made a great, brilliant, intelligent choice of Brass w/NB35 because that's what I got! [emoji16]
But it is a real joy to use, I keep it right next to me around the house after sundown.
Interesting that I've noticed it's much slower forming a patina than the bronze...had it about 3 weeks and still looking shiny and goldy. Not much hint of tarnishing at all.

JKolmo

Enlightened
Maybe you need to caress it more often. Mine has developed a noticeble darkness especially on the head, and I can't keep from fondling it from time to time. But the best thing with this light is it's sheer weight. It tail stands with a reassuring "thump". Makes all other HDS lights feel like plastic toys. Love it![emoji106]

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brass definitely takes it's patina much more slowly than bronze, but it does eventually. Mines very noticeably darker than when I got it, but it does help that it spent the first week of it's life in the Caribbean. I love how it's turning out.
3ad9f0359ce3dcf2f6b58b574954636c.jpg

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure where this should be posted...

Just out of curiosity, why was the sw35 only calibrated to 180lm but the 2700k from the low k run was able to calibrate to 200?

Doubt our eyes can even see the difference, just curious.

fyrstormer

Banned
I did just that with my cerakoted lights that see actual use, for that very reason. If it drops its going to hit the bezel or the tail. Since the head is heaviest that's the most likely
An object in freefall is weightless. It doesn't matter which end is heavier, it matters which end has less atmospheric drag. On an object like a flashlight, there is no significant difference in atmospheric drag across the length of the object, so it will fall the same as if it were in a vacuum. If anything makes the head more likely than the tail to hit the ground first, it's the fact that you're usually holding onto the tail, so the tail slips out of your hand last.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
An object in freefall is weightless. It doesn't matter which end is heavier, it matters which end has less atmospheric drag. On an object like a flashlight, there is no significant difference in atmospheric drag across the length of the object, so it will fall the same as if it were in a vacuum. If anything makes the head more likely than the tail to hit the ground first, it's the fact that you're usually holding onto the tail, so the tail slips out of your hand last.

Correct. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mTsrRZEMwA

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Saw a real cool experiment once. They put a feather and a big ball bearing in a clear vacuum and dropped them both.weird seeing them fall at same speed.got scared at that point figured I was learning something so turned on topgear real quick.think I caught myself just in time 😁

indigon

Enlightened
Enjoying my brass nb45 and a cold one.. (streamlight 1L/2L clip with my signature protective doubled novatac/hds caps).

I really like this one..

Ron

PQmhjeq.jpg

Sos24

Enlightened
Loving all the Brass pics! Bringing this one on the Appalachian Trail? The brass bead w/Trits are a nice touch, thanks for sharing!

This one won't being going on the Appalachian Trail, but thought the Buff made a good background. I've hiked some small portions of the AT in my younger days, but don't foresee myself hiking more than small day hikes anytime in my future.