Ni-MH Voltage

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Just to keep perspective on this...

With my Schulze charger and using Eebowlers figures, I can charge 150 cells in around 3.3 hours. Let's round it up to 4 hours for estimating purposes.

Of course this is for using only 1 charger. If I used 2 chargers, you would cut the time in half. :)

Tom

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
TorchBoy, you are correct :) The charger mentioned above (made by Vanson) charges at 750mA.

mdocod: That's a good solution. I would have suggested two plastic bins/ containers; one with charged cells and the other with used cells but having two different brand of cells would make it easier.

Am I wrong to assume that it's virtually impossible for AA cells to short out in a plastic container no matter how many cells are present? (If someone drops something metal in there then, that's another story. :poof: )

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
....Am I wrong to assume that it's virtually impossible for AA cells to short out in a plastic container no matter how many cells are present? (If someone drops something metal in there then, that's another story. :poof: )
Wow, interesting question. For any cautious types (like myself) here's a post that gives instructions for cheap cell boxes that protect cells from accidental discharge and shock.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
here's a thought:
to insure that cells get cycled properly, order half eneloops and half hybrio cells that way they have a substantially different look to them, have hybrio days and eneloop days. alternate days, that way all you have to do to make sure everyone has charged cells is just make sure they are all using the right brand for that day.

Let me echo the other responses - this is a really good idea.

However beware that not all Hybrios may be equal.....

When is a Hybrio not a Hybrio?

There are other brands that are also suspected re-badged eneloops -

Sony Cycle Energy

Duracell Pre-Charged
BUT be sure to get the made in Japan version with the white top surrounding the +ve terminal -
Duracell Pre-Charged Rechargeables - Buyer Advisory

MorePower

Enlightened
If we put in fresh batteries, they're about 60% at the end of a performance, so we throw them away for redundancy. SOMETIMES.. I sneak them into 2 performances but if any mics start cutting, i'm in hot water (people pay $30+ per ticket).

If you don't want to go with NiMH cells, just buy alkaline cells that are less expensive than Coppertops. Even cheap cells (Rayovac Infinity Gold, Eveready Gold) should have more than enough capacity to make it through the single performance you're getting from Duracell Coppertops.

Also, try contacting companies directly. Using 1000 cells per month, you may be able to purchase right from the manufacturer at a significant discount from retail.