• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Nichia 365nm UV Light offerings (NEW 5-12-17)

so 650

Newly Enlightened
Re: Nichia 365nm Light offerings

Hey Don, I finally got a good example of erythrasma, with the UV McClicky Mule bringing up the coral red fluorescence characteristic of the porphyrins created by the Corynebacteria that cause this common skin infection

I transiently had the image here, but figured maybe we don't need fluorescent groins here. I'll mail you the (totally safe for work) image if you like.

RB

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic

RB,
Sounds cool and useful not that I recognize the words or infection you bring up. Is this a condition not so recognizable under ambient full spectrum light or one that is easier to specifically identify by virtue of its UV signature? I recall as a kid a friend who had a UV light and zits and other anomalies in ones skin would show up under the light even though they were not really visible otherwise. I guess in a tanning booth one would look different?

so 650

Newly Enlightened

It is hard to make the diagnosis without seeing the fluorescence as it can range from flat dark areas to elevated and pink to dark brown, and is variably itchy. The causative organisms aren't easily cultured. It's not frequently that I'm able to diagnose it with UV light. We'll often treat for it empirically if we've ruled out the other common things that cause similar rashes in similar areas.

Aw, what the heck. I'll post the pic here. It's entirely not person-identifiable, and without me telling you, you can't tell what the heck it is.

The white fragments are lint displaying the fluorescent effects of brighteners in laundry detergent, to make your whites whiter and colors brighter.

20110316-DSC03752.jpg

(sorry 'bout the blur, it was a handheld 1/8th sec exposure - not the light's fault!)

You're absolutely correct that UV light makes certain skin characteristics show up differently than visible light examination. In dermatology we commonly use UV to look at pigment variation; less often to look for things that have a characteristic fluorescence as in this case.

Many women (and some men) will be familiar with imaging "boxes" that take a UV light image of the facial skin to emphasize solar damage and age-related pigment changes. Most often this is used to peddle "anti-aging" products.

Just a reminder, kids, UV light is carcinogenic, so don't go lighting up your faces, groins, or other parts with your McGizmo UV lights. See the comments in the thread above about protecting your eyes! (And while I'm on my soapbox, please all of y'all, exercise reasonable caution with respect to sunlight exposure, perhaps especially if you're of Irish/Scottish heritage and live in Hawaii.)

Sparkss

Newly Enlightened

I went for a Nichia UV P60- dropin last year, and am regretting it (the throw and spread are nothing like what I hear from Don's Mule here).

Don, Do you have any available (especially with the 33b LED :)). Thanks :)

P.S. Hope you weathered the "wave" a couple of weeks back. A couple of friends of our that live down that way were high enough up that it didn't affect them. Hope you were equally lucky !!! :)

McGizmo

Flashaholic

RB,
Is the sun bad for your skin? :duck: :D

Sparkss,
All versions as stated in the first of this thread are available and yes, I am using the 033B UV LED's.

Sparkss

Newly Enlightened

Don, Sorry, I had been subscribed to this thread, following along with any new posts. I didn't think to check your first thread for updates on availability, etc. :)

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Sparkss,
No worries. I realize that some of these threads are old and some seem even more so after the forum crash.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Edwood,
I can build and ship you a LE anytime you want. I am no expert on the safety glasses but suspect any are fine, as stated.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Sorry,
The EN mule sets are all gone.

pirateo40

Newly Enlightened

You guys using these for photography, please feel free to share any images you feel like showing us!
Howdy - haven't checked this forum for a while but noticed activity in the Nichia posts - thought I would add a few contributions. I purchased a couple of LE from Don long time ago, and have since built some of my own also. They work great and are excellent for UV photography. The Nichia LED outputs an intense UV with minimal ambient light, allowing excellent photos of minerals excited by LW UV - without the excessive visible blue light found with many other sources (including fluorescent tubes/blacklights).

Below are a few pics of minerals from around the world, taken using Don's Nichia LE:
herderrite.jpg

Hydroxy Herderite from Pakistan (crystal) - LW photo (Nichia LED)

soda-anim.gif

Sodalite from Greenland (animated, switching between natural lighting and LW UV)

sphaler-anim.gif

Sphalerite from Langban, Sweden (again - switching between natural lighting and LW)

euscorpius

Newly Enlightened

Dear Mcgizmo,do you have uv led (nscu033b or a) adapted in torch flashlight? and what is the price?
best wishes

ps. really good work.

samuraishot

Enlightened

I tried searching and couldn't find a concrete answer, but does the UV light engine fit the aluminum Aleph Mule heads? I've read that the titanium Mule heads are identical to the aluminum ones, but I just wanted to be sure since I've read in other threads that some LE don't fit certain heads.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Yes, the UV LE will fit in an aluminum Aleph Mule head.

PurplePotato

Newly Enlightened

Question to McGizmo:

Will the XR-U UV light head fit/work with the McGizmo 2x CR123 battery tubes to extend output times? Also, would it work with a 2x AA McGizmo battery tube?

We're looking to outfit up with these for use in some expeditions to some remote locals, so battery versatility and maximizing run times is of some concern.

Thanks!

McGizmo

Flashaholic

PurplePotato,
I work with two converters, one is a 3V based and the other a 6V based. The 3V converter will work with either the 1x123 pak or 2xAA pak. The 6V converter is for use in the 2x123 pak. Maximum runtime I would assume could be enjoyed with the 6V converter and the 2x123 pak although I would imagine using a good set of 2xAA and the 3V converter would not be too far off. The XR-U UV head can be host to either the 3V converter (3V UV Light Engine) or the 6V converter (6V UV Light Engine). If you are in remote locations that do have sunshine, you might want to consider the 3V and 2xAA battery tube and one of the solar chargers that will charge the AA cells.