Nitecore D10 / EX10 - Is it what you expected?

Was it what you expected? Either one.

• Total voters

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh for crying... :shakehead

My pre-ordered D10 hasn't arrived yet and 4seven's pre-leaking yet ANOTHER new light?!

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
.......TWO WEEKS after they shipped here is a "hint" about a NEW AND IMPROVED version. I'm just sure that they'll fix the little quirks so that we'll all want to buy the new one. 4-7's, I love my D10 and you've always given me great service but it's just wrong to play us like that man.
Sorry about that... :p

I wouldn't call it "new and imPROVED." Because this LED has yet to prove itself.
It won't be replacing any existing models.

Think of it this way instead - it's a trial on this new LED to see if it can perform
as claimed according to the LED manufacturer's spec. It's will be a derivation of
a current model - not a replacement. If it doesn't fit the bill... *poof* it'll be
gone :p

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
It's a pity Nitecore probably will not modify the UI of D10/EX10 in next version -- from my communications with Nitecore engineers, the current MCU ROM is already used up 98%. I do believe D10 is only 2 steps from almost perfect -- to memorize user set level, and to remove ramping bug. It is a pretty simple 1 mode light right now, but I don't think just memorize user set level will add any difficulties or complexity to current UI. The only limit is the MCU ROM. Liteflux author said probably because Nitecore engineers wrote programs in C, while he used assembler lanuage for Liteflux...

Sorry about that... :p

I wouldn't call it "new and imPROVED." Because this LED has yet to prove itself.
It won't be replacing any existing models.

Think of it this way instead - it's a trial on this new LED to see if it can perform
as claimed according to the LED manufacturer's spec. It's will be a derivation of
a current model - not a replacement. If it doesn't fit the bill... *poof* it'll be

alibaba

Enlightened

Or you could think of it as the hype preceding v2.0 tho right? I've read a number of posts saying that people didn't like the hype preceding the launch of the SPD lights. I actually disagree, advertising the launch of a product is just a part of the process and I have no problem with that. What I don't like (and I DO NOT put the SPD's in this catagory) is hyping a product that is not quite ready, selling lights with bugs, fixing the bugs and then selling these same beta testers/consumers the fixed version. IMO, it is also wrong to come out with a new model every month or two with tiny tweaks that everyone will just HAVE to have. We all know that some manufacturers come out with several revisions of the same model and every new v. adds ONE feature (like a new emitter) that everyone wants. I do not claim that to be the case here but that little hint thing WAS just hyping a new version of the light that some of us haven't even rec'd yet................

I'm truly not trying to start some **** but in my time on CPF's I've read alot of back threads and I see often members buying 2, 3, 4 versions of the same light! Some are legit emitter upgrades over the course of years but not all of 'em

Last edited:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Liteflux author said probably because Nitecore engineers wrote programs in C, while he used assembler lanuage for Liteflux...
Not true. I have the assembler code in front of me.
Or you could think of it as the hype preceding v2.0 tho right? I've read a number of posts saying that people didn't like the hype preceding the launch of the SPD lights. I actually disagree, advertising the launch of a product is just a part of the process and I have no problem with that. What I don't like (and I DO NOT put the SPD's in this catagory) is hyping a product that is not quite ready, selling lights with bugs, fixing the bugs and then selling these same beta testers/consumers the fixed version. IMO, it is also wrong to come out with a new model every month or two with tiny tweaks that everyone will just HAVE to have.
I agree. We're just looking to improve the product and part of the process
is getting feedback from our customers. To just improve based on what we
want is simply delusional. That is why there are so many subsequent
"improvement" versions. This is a way to include customers in the R&D
process and get the feedback needed that meets the market's need.
However, I agree that releasing half-done products is way poor and not
a good way to build brand recognition. I to agree that NiteCore SPD is not
in that category. We spent much time considering over this product.
And again like we emphasized in the launch, simplicity is the key word :p
Ok, I will shutup now :p I won't say anything until new products are ready
to go.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
And again like we emphasized in the launch, simplicity is the key word :p
Ok, I will shutup now :p I won't say anything until new products are ready
to go.
Now look at what yous guys did. You went and ran him off!! :ohgeez: :laughing:

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could do it algorithmically (or do a combination), but probably not on a flashlight :)

Anyways, i was just stating where the difference between D/EX10 and LF5XT comes from.

4EN[sic]

Newly Enlightened
I just got my EX10. Everything is great other than the button (piston) sticks. I took it apart, cleaned all the goo out of it and lubed with lighter oil. However, it is hard to do a quick double click because the button wants to stick in and slowly come back out. I figured out that it is the O ring in the tail end that is the culprit. I took that O-ring out and tried it like that for a minute and the light works great. I don't know if I want to use it with out the o ring in the tail, so I put it back and am just living with the stiff button. Other than that, the light is a great piece for the money I spent on it. I might try to find a slightly smaller o ring. :shakehead

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my EX10. Everything is great other than the button (piston) sticks. I took it apart, cleaned all the goo out of it and lubed with lighter oil. However, it is hard to do a quick double click because the button wants to stick in and slowly come back out. I figured out that it is the O ring in the tail end that is the culprit. I took that O-ring out and tried it like that for a minute and the light works great. I don't know if I want to use it with out the o ring in the tail, so I put it back and am just living with the stiff button. Other than that, the light is a great piece for the money I spent on it. I might try to find a slightly smaller o ring. :shakehead

A while back, Lite_me posted a great technique for sanding 0-rings, which might solve your problem. You just put the o-ring on a bit on a cordless (or corded) drill and gently rotate it against some fine grit sandpaper. It solved my problems in a couple of past lights where the o-ring was providing a bit too much resistance. You have to be careful, though, because it is so easy to overdo it (done that, too :poke:). So, you need to do a bit, try it out, do a bit more, etc., till you've done just enough.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same issue, but lubing the O ring with cycle oil (very low viscosity) fixed it.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try holding the piston button IN - as you screw the body together.
And try one of the X-tra Orings they sent with it. Oil it good.

larry117

Newly Enlightened
After reading a lot about the new lights here I bought the EX10. The Quality of the light really surprised me, I love it! I think that the dimming is also great, couldn't ask for more out of a single cr123 light.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
After reading a lot about the new lights here I bought the EX10. The Quality of the light really surprised me, I love it! I think that the dimming is also great, couldn't ask for more out of a single cr123 light.

Congrats on the great light Larry....and welcome to CPF! :welcome:

4EN[sic]

Newly Enlightened
Sending the EX10 back for a refund. Not only am I having problems with the o ring, now the light acts like momentary on, even though the head is fully screwed down. It is only 60 bucks, but I don't think I should have to deal with that. Luckily, the Fenix-Store has good customer service. I ordered the D10, I will see how that treats me. I am hopeful, the potential is certainly there. I really like the concept of the UI, this particular unit is just not so great so far...:confused:

itch808

Newly Enlightened
Sending the EX10 back for a refund. Not only am I having problems with the o ring, now the light acts like momentary on, even though the head is fully screwed down. It is only 60 bucks, but I don't think I should have to deal with that. Luckily, the Fenix-Store has good customer service. I ordered the D10, I will see how that treats me. I am hopeful, the potential is certainly there. I really like the concept of the UI, this particular unit is just not so great so far...:confused:

What cell's are you using? AW's?

KRS1

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I'm current having a problem getting low mode. When I screw them in just about when the light turn on, I then use the tail switch to hold it, it just turn off in 2 sec without going dim.

Could some 1 please shine some light in me?

4EN[sic]

Newly Enlightened
I am using surefire cells. Could that be part of what the deal is? Figured those would be pretty standard for this light.

mikel81

Newly Enlightened
I don't think anything's wrong with his D10, just seemed like he's worried it might activate accidentally.

I doubt his ND10 will turn on accidentally, unless he's very vigorously shaking his pocket with the ND10 and other hard objects in it.

I rate the chances of accidental activation of the ND10 around .000003%. :naughty: :twothumbs

FYI. Mine turns on all the time accidentally. I keep in on low or twist the bezel into momentary mode if it's in my pocket ( it always is ).