Nitecore ea4

Haroldlutsen

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys lookin to buy some ea4's for my mom and dad I'm thinkin the ease of AA batteries, I know there are a couple other choices in the 4XAA lights now. Is there a better choice than the nitecore and where is the best place to order them other than eBay

jimboutilier

Enlightened
Hey guys lookin to buy some ea4's for my mom and dad I'm thinkin the ease of AA batteries, I know there are a couple other choices in the 4XAA lights now. Is there a better choice than the nitecore and where is the best place to order them other than eBay

I like the EA4 in a lot of ways, but unless you lock it out via its switch it has very high parasitic drain, even then it's fairly high and I would recommend tail cap lockout. Otherwise you'd want to consider changing or recharging batteries monthly to keep a healthy charge. It would run dead within 3 months without a lockout.

I've since switched to an EagleTac GX25A3 which is smaller just as bright, and runs almost as long on 3XAA. Also comes with a regular flat tail cap and one with a switch that still tail stands. Also has extremely low parasitic drain.

I've only heard good things about the D40A but haven't used one myself.

Lots of sales going on now over in this forums dealers corner. You could also try Amazon.

Haroldlutsen

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your replies got a pretty good deal at battery junction on the ea4 $52 plus they had 40 AA batteries for $10 also, might have been able to get free shipping somewhere but it was only $17 for 3 lights and 120 batteries