Nitecore lubrication, is petroleum really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketTomato

Enlightened
Buna-N, A.K.A. Nitrile, based O-rings are safe to use with petroleum products. I am guessing that the majority of the flashlights (and plumbing) out there use Buna-N for their o-rings. Some, however, such as the McGizmo lights, use EPDM O-rings or Silicone O-rings, which are not compatible with petroleum based lubes.

There is a PDF chart from Nye Lubricants, the makers of Nyogel which lists the chemical compatibility of various lubricants with different o-ring materials.

Here is the link to the PDF.

Check page two, the lower left chart. Different types of lubricants are listed along the leftmost column. Different types of o-ring materials are listed along the top. Note that perfluoropolyethers are Teflon like compounds, Buna-N is nitrile and the Nyogels 779 and 760 are synthetic hydrocarbon based gels. For our purposes, consider that petroleum based lubricants behave similarly to the synthetic hydrocarbon based ones.

The only lubricant that is universally compatible with all types of o-ring materials (included in the chart) is the Teflon based one. Silicone lubricant comes in second place. However, though Silicone grease is technically incompatible with Silicone O-rings, it will mostly just cause the silicone o-rings to swell and not an actual failure of the seal as used in most flashlights.

So if you are sure that your o-rings are made from Buna-N rubber, go ahead and use petroleum based lubricants. If you are not sure what your o-rings are made of, use Teflon or Silicone based lubricants to be safe. (Buna-N is a rubber and so is EPDM. O-rings used to made out of natural rubber which, like EPDM, is susceptible to damage by petroleum products.)

Honestly though, chemical compatibility between O-rings and lubricants is really only important in industrial applications where you have elevated temperatures, pressures and caustic chemicals. So, unless you are using the flashlight for diving or some other critical application where seal integrity is extremely important, it really does not matter what you use as long as you do use something. (Spit does not count as a lubricant by the way ;))

Pick something you like and stick with it.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
There is a PDF chart from Nye Lubricants, the makers of Nyogel which lists the chemical compatibility of various lubricants with different o-ring materials.

This chart is good enough that it deserves a post:

LubeChart.jpg

That's a bit worrisome that they don't rate their own product as being as good as the teflon, but I'd have to agree with you that this would only apply to a serious industrial application, since I've never heard of anyone having any difficulties with Nyogel..

It says "fluoroalkane" is the only real solvent for stripping PFPE, what cleaner would have fluoroalkane in it?

Raybo

Enlightened
Looks to complicated to me!

Silicon (spray or gel) will be fine IMHO and the "high priced" stuff is just not worth it.
I use a little known and little priced lube that will keep up with whatever lube you throw at it. :poke:

slipe

Newly Enlightened
Don't some Teflon based lubricants contain petroleum products? How about silicone grease? I think pure Teflon or silicone would be solid and not lubricate anything, so there has to be a base.

I just checked a Chinese manufacturer's o-ring listing and most will give you any material you request in any color. I don't think you can be sure that the red ones are silicone and the others aren't. Especially in something made in China. http://www.alibaba.com/manufacturers/O-ring%2BAssortment%2BKit-manufacturers.html

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally, PFPE/PFTE(teflon) lubricants do not contain petroleum products.

There are some lubricants that have PFPE/PFTE added to them, and those can have petroleum products in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.