Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO +

Patriot

Flashaholic
Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

If I had a meter the TM11 would read higher lumens at 25 feet.

Outside the TM15 has better throw with smaller spill as expected.

:thinking: I'm not sure how that works out. If the TM11 "would read higher at 25 feet" I think it would read higher at 100, 200 & 300 feet as well. I realize that you're conveying what is probably a subjective experience, however, we know that the TM15 has about double the throw.

Yourfun2

Enlightened
Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

Looking at the wall at 25 feet, the beam from the TM11 is solid and bright in the middle. The beam of the TM15 at 25 feet has a hole in the center which obviously not as bright as the TM11 in the center. When I go outside the hole in the TM15 beam is not as obvious at longer distances. The beam of the TM11 speads out more at longer distances.

I'm wondering if other TM15s have this same hole. The first TM11 I had exhibited a hole, but the TM11 I have now exhibits a hot spot with a halow outside the spill.

Maybe one of you white wall hunters will let me know what they get from their TM?

davpet

Newly Enlightened

Looking at the wall at 25 feet, the beam from the TM11 is solid and bright in the middle. The beam of the TM15 at 25 feet has a hole in the center which obviously not as bright as the TM11 in the center. When I go outside the hole in the TM15 beam is not as obvious at longer distances. The beam of the TM11 speads out more at longer distances.

I'm wondering if other TM15s have this same hole. The first TM11 I had exhibited a hole, but the TM11 I have now exhibits a hot spot with a halow outside the spill.

Maybe one of you white wall hunters will let me know what they get from their TM?

Hi, I have the cool white version of both the 11 and 15. Serial number starts with 209xxx on both, no version data inside the head of the TM15.

And yes, you are right: the TM11's hotspot is solid, and the TM15's looks like a ring, brighter on the outside. However I think even the "hole" is brighter than the TM11's hotspot. Actually it is very difficult to compare, because the TM11 has a greenish tint, the TM15 on the other hand is almost blue in comparison.
If you are not aiming really far away, the better throwing capability of the TM15 is not apparent. I find that the TM11's warmer color gives you a feeling that it's brighter, while the TM15's blueish tint is a bit unnatural.

Yourfun2

Enlightened

Thanks for posting your observation.

Both of my TM's start with 2103081xxxxxx

The tint can really throw the old eyeball off. My TM11 makes my TM15 look like its cool white. That is until you pull out a cool white light. Then it is pretty obvious there both neutral.

Now that I'm home in familiar territory, I'm liking the TM11 and may sell the TM15. The TM15 has several features not on the TM11, but none that I care about. I like the much smaller and lighter package of the TM11. If the TM15 had a warmer light, I would probably like it well enough to keep it. It may end up in the car as an emergency light.

Last edited:

davpet

Newly Enlightened

Yes, it's hard to choose between these two. The ui is better on the TM15, and the blue switch beacon is much brighter - actually, it kinda lights up my room at night, so I just lock it out. But come on: you only have to do a long press to get it out of lockout mode?? It just has to press against something for a few seconds in a coat pocket to activate. I don't know why they changed this from the three short presses on the TM11. Not that the TM11 would accidentally activate even in standby mode. I think it has a much better switch design.
But, to sum it up: better ui, blue beacon, rechargeable, and much better heat management due to the greater amount of heat sinks on the TM15. And the most important factor: the TM15 has a lower low mode. If the TM11 had an extra maybe 50 lumen mode, then it would be my choice without hesitation. :)

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, it's hard to choose between these two. The ui is better on the TM15, and the blue switch beacon is much brighter - actually, it kinda lights up my room at night, so I just lock it out. But come on: you only have to do a long press to get it out of lockout mode?? It just has to press against something for a few seconds in a coat pocket to activate. I don't know why they changed this from the three short presses on the TM11. Not that the TM11 would accidentally activate even in standby mode. I think it has a much better switch design.
But, to sum it up: better ui, blue beacon, rechargeable, and much better heat management due to the greater amount of heat sinks on the TM15. And the most important factor: the TM15 has a lower low mode. If the TM11 had an extra maybe 50 lumen mode, then it would be my choice without hesitation. :)

I have both the TM11 and the TM15 and I agree with daypet.

I like the larger heat sink and the lower output of the TM15, but I do not think the built in charger is worth it.

Maverick-59

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 - Reply From Nitecore / SYSMAX Regarding My Version Numb

Selfbuilt, I have a question to yourself or anyone on this forum:

I would like to share with you and others on the Forum my latest correspondence with Nitecore / SYSMAX regarding the version of my newly received TM11. First, I would like for you to read my initial question via email to Nitecore. I will then post their reply. Finally, I will post my reply back to Nitecore:

1) My initial email to Nitecore (I deleted my last name, phone number and personal email from the threads):

Title:My TM11 Tiny Monster Version
Description:I just purchased a TM11 via Amazon. I emailed to confirm I would be receiving the latest version (V3). They responded and confirmed it would in-fact be a TM11 V3. When I received it today 21DEC2012, I opened it only to see the version number was not listed. After reviewing many blogs I read that some of the latest versions have removed the version number, but rather added a serial number on the outside of each flashlight (versus the earlier models which have the version number on the inside). My serial number is: 2103181140006. Can you tell me which version of TM11 I have? V3, V4, etc. Thank you.
2) Nitecore / SYSMAX Reply to me on 24DEC2012

Hello Sir,

Thank you for your email. But I must correct something here

1. We never have different versions of TM11. We will not classify our products into versions. So there are not any V2, V3, V5......
2. The laser serial number is the light's ID. With this ID, we can identify if it is true or fake.
3. For true NITECORE products, we can provide 18 months free replacement if any manufacturer malfuntioning is found.

So please just try out your light and check if it is satisfied.

3) Here is my reply to Nitecore on 24DEC2012:

Dear Sir:

You are in-fact incorrect. There were at least three different "versions" of the TM11. Improvements were made to each version. Three known versions are as follows: V1.0: V1.10-1110; V2.0: V1.11-1110 and V3.0: V1.12-1111 all with a documented number (I put in bold font) inside the flashlight above the name SYSMAX (I have attached a pic of a version V3.0 and a pic of my flashlight. This documentation is solid truth from an individual who did the reviews on all versions of the TM11. You are either not knowledgeable of this, not telling me the truth, or manufacturing a knock-off. Unless I get a truthful answer, I will put your prior reply to me on every blog there is. Not a threat, just a freedom of information act. After reviewing the attached pics, I expect a prompt reply with an honest answer. Also, tell me about the manufacturing date and version (mentioned above in bold font) of my particular TM11.

Thank you :) (Maverick-59)

My received flashlight without version number pic

A Pic of a Version 3 I sent to Nitecore

I would appreciate your "put" as to my version and this correspondence.

Last edited:

Matjazz

Newly Enlightened
Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 - Reply From Nitecore / SYSMAX Regarding My Version

There definitely were three versions of TM11. However Nitecore doesn't print versions numbers on their products any more so TM15 and newer batches of TM11 (other lights as well) are without version numbers. The version you have is at least "V3" if not better.
I guess they learned their lesson when everybody wanted latest version and old versions were still in stock.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 - Reply From Nitecore / SYSMAX Regarding My Version

The version you have is at least "V3" if not better.
I guess they learned their lesson when everybody wanted latest version and old versions were still in stock.
Yes, that would be my reading of the situation as well. Anyone who has a newer light lacking the version numbering would by definition have a light that is newer than the older lights that had a version number.

I suspect Nitecore has come to realize the problem of publicly displaying a versioning number on the head. The reality is that ALL manufacturers routinely tweak and adjust their circuits over time (some more than others, some specific models more frequently than others). Nitecore never intended these be viewed as "V1", "V2", etc. It was just the ongoing evolution of the circuit (i.e., these are more like different tweaked batches of the same light, not versions). As far as they are concerned, all batch "versions" of these lights meet the same common specs. This differs from true "version" differences in most lights, where the offical specs change to match the new feature set. Hence their offer to warranty all the lights the same way (i.e., they will repair only if it does not perform as expected for the common class).

I understand why people here see it differently (i.e., why you would feel that these batch differences are significant enough to qualify as true versions). But I can also see it from the Manufacturer and dealer point of view, as this was not their actual intention. The TM11 was atypical because the numbers were visible, allowing the end user to know from which batch their light came from. This is something that is not generally done for batches, and so Nitecore has really only gone back to what is an industry norm by not listing a specific circuit number. :shrug:

Last edited:

Maverick-59

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Selfbuilt for the input regarding the version number of my TM11. I just accidentally dropped my TM11 from 2' on to carpet and the lens broke in half. It's only a few days old. Do you think Nitecore will replace it? I sent them all the data, receipt and pics. Waiting for Customer Service to open on 03 Jan 2013 for a reply. There warranty says it is covered from a 1 Meter drop. I feel 2' on to carpet should not have broke the lens in half.....Your thoughts.... Maverick :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Thanks Selfbuilt for the input regarding the version number of my TM11. I just accidentally dropped my TM11 from 2' on to carpet and the lens broke in half. It's only a few days old. Do you think Nitecore will replace it? I sent them all the data, receipt and pics. Waiting for Customer Service to open on 03 Jan 2013 for a reply. There warranty says it is covered from a 1 Meter drop. I feel 2' on to carpet should not have broke the lens in half.....Your thoughts.... Maverick :)
I would expect so, given your description.

Matjazz

Newly Enlightened

HELP! HELP! HELP!
Where can I get a replacement lens? What's the size? Thanks!

I accidentally drop a book on top of it while tail standing. Now it's in a sealed container and not using it. :sigh:.:shakehead.
...I just accidentally dropped my TM11 from 2' on to carpet and the lens broke in half. It's only a few days old...

Seems like TM11 lens can crack too easy :confused:
I'm using mine for caving. I take care of it but it had it's share of bumps against rocks. These two cases make me wonder if it's really just a matter of time before I return from cave with a cracked lens :thinking:

Dotcircle

Newly Enlightened

How`s Nitecore`s costumer service if you have encountered them yet Maverick?

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11

I dropped my TM11 about a week ago and then just a couple days ago. Nothing broken and still operating normally. Thank goodness. Dropped it on concrete about 3 feet. The last time the light was on and it shut off when it hit the hard surface. I pressed the power button and it went on immediately.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

titanx04

Newly Enlightened

Hey Guys im only new to this site but had been reading about the TM11 so purchased one off ebay which is or supposed to be latest version, had no version code, so sent off a email to seller and reply was that they had ceased placing codes on the head but i do have latest version. How would i know.

Kit come with black replacement o'ring, lanyard (need to work out how to get it on), and pouch.

Im in Australia, got torch for $152 + 26 postage, purchased 8x Panasonic CR23A $45. Will be used for security work.

Serial # ZL201120062948.1, 201120239210.8. Do thse mean anything. im thinking the 2nd code isdate of manufacture but could be wrong.

Any help on version i have appreciated b4 i leave feed back from supplier.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Hey Guys im only new to this site but had been reading about the TM11 so purchased one off ebay which is or supposed to be latest version, had no version code, so sent off a email to seller and reply was that they had ceased placing codes on the head but i do have latest version. How would i know.
That's correct, Nitecore is no longer putting a version code on these lights. So you have the most recent type.

MachtSchnell

Newly Enlightened

Currently running mine on 4 CK 18650 3400mAh cells.

But can this run on 8 RCR123A batteries? Will the combined max voltage of 8.2v harm this light? Just curious, anyway 4 pairs of 2 Li-Ions in series might be a bad idea (expensive too.)
Couldn't find much more than it can run on 4:18650s or 8:CR123As.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

But can this run on 8 RCR123A batteries? Will the combined max voltage of 8.2v harm this light? Just curious, anyway 4 pairs of 2 Li-Ions in series might be a bad idea (expensive too.)
Couldn't find much more than it can run on 4:18650s or 8:CR123As.
Hard to know, as Nitecore didn't provide me with any voltage specs, and this review is fairly old (i.e., the currently shipping versions may have been updated). I know for my TM15, the manual mentions that RCR123A cells are supported. I would expect the same here, but you may want to confirm with Nitecore or one of their dealers first.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hard to know, as Nitecore didn't provide me with any voltage specs, and this review is fairly old (i.e., the currently shipping versions may have been updated). I know for my TM15, the manual mentions that RCR123A cells are supported. I would expect the same here, but you may want to confirm with Nitecore or one of their dealers first.

From the TM11 User Manual:

Battery installation

Insert 4 × 18650 Li-ion or 8 × CR123 batteries with the positive (+) end
pointing toward the flashlight head. In special circumstances, such as
emergency situations, one to three 18650 Li-ion or two to six (R) CR123
batteries may be used. After loading the batteries, the power indicator light
will flicker to show the battery voltage. Please refer to the "Power Tips"

section of this manual for details

Notice the (R) in front of the CR123. To me, that is saying both primary CR123s & rechargeable RCR123s are acceptable.

NorthernStar

Enlightened

I can´t follow the diagrams to fully. Can someone please tell for how long (how many minutes) can one run the TM11 at Turbo mode before it reach 60 deg and steps down in effect? :thinking: