Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO +

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

EDIT 2: I know it says 18650s but I was under the impression the only difference between 18650 and 18700 is the length.
Yes, that's just Xtar's nomenclature for their cells - they are still considered as 18650-class by everyone else.

The likely source of your problem is cell length. I've seen some 2600mAh cells (especially small button top) that can exceed 69.0mm in height. That can cause problems in some lights with tight tolerances, including the TM11. I would recommend trying to crank the head a bit tighter, to see if that works. If not, you may have to try a difference brand of cells. :shrug:

RedSquirrel

Newly Enlightened
Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

Yes, that's just Xtar's nomenclature for their cells - they are still considered as 18650-class by everyone else.

The likely source of your problem is cell length. I've seen some 2600mAh cells (especially small button top) that can exceed 69.0mm in height. That can cause problems in some lights with tight tolerances, including the TM11. I would recommend trying to crank the head a bit tighter, to see if that works. If not, you may have to try a difference brand of cells. :shrug:

Yeh, I thought it might be to do with the length. Thanks for confirming.

I'm afraid if I tighten the head up any more it may damage it. :( I've ordered up some Nitecore 18650s as they're meant to work with it! I'll get out some of the other batteries when I get home and I'll give it a test and let you know how it goes. It's a bad feeling not being able to test out a brand new light! :ironic:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't wait to receive my custom-made 28mm bike mount for the Tiny Munster from Glamenz in Germany...

2bc977_4ed952a84e727e1c6dbf1d9ebfa371d7jpg_srz_330_430_75_22_050_120_0.jpg

2bc977_6e780be664d6c1a740c2da5059cbfa48jpg_srz_330_574_75_22_050_120_0.jpg

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

PWM/Strobe

There is no sign of PWM at any output level – I believe the light is actually current-controlled as claimed. :)

I did however detect some high frequency noise on the Lo/Med/Hi levels, on all three samples I was sent. It does not seem to be PWM, as there is no evidence of a varying pulse width or duty cycle across output levels.
(...)
Note that this 3.9 kHz noise is not visible to the naked eye – the beam appears perfectly still, with no signs of flicker. There was no sign of this noise on Turbo.

Strobe is a true oscillating strobe, that continually changes its frequency. Here is an overview taken at at long time series (8 secs):

NITECORE TM11I.S. measured ANSI output LumensPWM frequency (Hz)
Turbo using 8xSYSMAX CR1232457N/A
Turbo using 4 x 186502447N/A
High1295N/A
Medium6274000
Low2423840

The Strobe is a two-tone strobe alternating between 12 and 6.6Hz

Loaded up with Xtar 18650 3100mAh cells, the TM11 has the following output curve on Turbo

Is there any contradiction between the 2 reviewers?
PWM or no PWM, that is the question here..

;)

HKJ

Flashaholic

Is there any contradiction between the 2 reviewers?
PWM or no PWM, that is the question here..

;)

My TM11 does not have PWM at any setting.
It looks like the internal converter is running at about 250 kHz and the regulation loop might be around 3.8 kHz, both can we measured as small variations in the light.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

It looks like the internal converter is running at about 250 kHz and the regulation loop might be around 3.8 kHz, both can we measured as small variations in the light.

Thanks HKJ for the explanation.
readers of subwoofer's review could be confused after seeing his "PWM-table".
well, now not anymore!!

Thanks again!! :D

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

HKJ is quite correct (as usual ;)).

As I indicated in my review (and quoted earlier), this ~3.9 kHz signal is not PWM. You can tell this from the oscilloscope traces. Because of the way circuits function, regular re-occuring signals are quite possible on a number of lights - although often only detectable with specialized setups. HKJ has by far the most sophisticated equipment, but even my basic sound card oscilloscope provides sufficient data to rule out PWM.

Typically, these signals are very brief and of relatively high frequency (and sometimes of relatively low intensity) - all factors that contribute to their general imperceptibility. While it is sometimes the case that the signals are visually detectable (and I am working on a review right now where it is), the circuit signal on the TM11 is definitely not.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can I ask what zoom level or focal distance do you use when photographing wall shots at 1.25 meters?
Eg, 24mm wide angle?
28mm wide angle?
35mm zoom?
50mm zoom?
On a 35mm or equivalent camera...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Can I ask what zoom level or focal distance do you use when photographing wall shots at 1.25 meters?
It's the standard lens on my Canon S5 IS, which a 12X Zoom lens, 6.0-72.0mm, 1:2.7-3.5 USM. I am of course full zoomed out for these shots (i.e. 1x)

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

3.6 volts - if I remember correctly???

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's the standard lens on my Canon S5 IS, which a 12X Zoom lens, 6.0-72.0mm, 1:2.7-3.5 USM. I am of course full zoomed out for these shots (i.e. 1x)

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/compacts/canon_s5is

Based on the specs above, the Canon PowerShot S5's "equivalent" focal length is 36mm - used for taking the infamous wall shots, because the amount of zoom/focal length affects the photos.

The S5's actual focal length for taking the wall shots is 6.0 mm, because the sensor is 1/2.5".
This is equivalent to a focal length of 36mm in a traditional 35mm size sensor of an SLR camera.
Because sensors come in so many different sizes, I personally prefer to use "equivalent" focal lengths, so that focal lengths from different cameras are easily comparable.

Most cameras have a 28mm, and some even have 24mm equivalent focal lengths, so they would appear to be further away from the wall than 1.25 meters.
At an equivalent 28 or even 24mm, the Nitecore Tiny Monster TM11's massively wide lateral side spill may actually be fully captured???

The Canon PowerShot S5 has an equivalent minimum focal length of only 36mm, probably because it is dedicated to zooming - up to 12 times to a massive equivalent of 432mm...

Last edited:

Yourfun2

Enlightened

At which voltage level will the indicator LED start blinking rapidly, and when will the light fall out of regulation?

I put in 2 cr123's, reading 5.8 volts. Got a minute or two on turbo, auto stepped down to high. Now reading 5.7 volts. Lamp flashes rapidly entering turbo. Output same as high. Entering high, lamp flashes every 3 seconds. Will check voltage when high flashes fast from normal use. Unless my new 18650's come in first.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened

I put in 2 cr123's, reading 5.8 volts. Got a minute or two on turbo, auto stepped down to high. Now reading 5.7 volts. Lamp flashes rapidly entering turbo. Output same as high. Entering high, lamp flashes every 3 seconds. Will check voltage when high flashes fast from normal use. Unless my new 18650's come in first.

Thanks. I'm (happily) stuck with 18650s, since CR123s are very expensive over here in Sweden, but I definitely appreciate the heads-up.

Yourfun2

Enlightened

High starts fast flashing at 5.5 volts running 2 - CR123's.
Medium starts fast flash at 5.4 volts

Hopefully someone will post results running 4 - 18650's.

Love this light! Little hard to come out of lock-out mode in the dark. I couldn't find the button. I guess that is a safety feature. It will keep you from blinding yourself in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

Bojack

Newly Enlightened

It is underneath the head of the light where the batteries make their positive contact. It's printed in white.

JD

Just received a new one today and no markings at all underneath the head other than the name "SYSMAX". a serial #21121811xxxxx on the outside barrel & box (match). Any one else?
(updated post)

Last edited:

Yourfun2

Enlightened

I just received a neutral TM11 and it is the same as yours. Just says Sysmax with a serial number on the side. It starts with 21030811xxxxx. I don't remember seeing a serial number on the two I had before.

Another change is the O ring is now black, was yellow before.

I also notice the battery clearance is different. I barely unscrew it and the light goes off. If I had shorter batteries, I don't think it would work.

Last edited:

Bojack

Newly Enlightened

I just received a neutral TM11 and it is the same as yours. Just says Sysmax with a serial number on the side. It starts with 21030811xxxxx. I don't remember seeing a serial number on the two I had before.

Another change is the O ring is now black, was yellow before.

I also notice the battery clearance is different. I barely unscrew it and the light goes off. If I had shorter batteries, I don't think it would work.

I'm using Eagle Tac 3100 & notice the same unscrewing the head. (black O ring also)
Also the red indicator light stays on while the light is on.

Last edited:

Yourfun2

Enlightened

I have the same Eagletac 3100, white with red tip. I went around with one battery and checked every hole, to make sure they were all making contact. The tolerance seems very close, so I will check with a meter after some use.

My indicator light blinks every 2 seconds as it should. Stays on when lamp is lit.

Now that it is dark, I found that this light has a better throw. There is no hole in the beam at very long distances.

Last edited:

Yourfun2

Enlightened

Must have been brain dead with my testing method. Realized during the night the threads are anodized. Really surprised no one picked up on it.

Now have a TM15 for comparison, so wanted to post some observations.
Both lights are verified neutral as compared to TM11/15 cool white lights.

There are no numbers on the pcb inside the head of either light.
There is what looks like a serial number on the outside opposite the hot surface label.
I say looks like because my TM11 and TM15 have almost exact same number.

The TM11 has much warmer LEDs than the TM15.
At 25 feet the TM11 has full spot. TM15 has a hole in it.
If I had a meter the TM11 would read higher lumens at 25 feet.
The TM15 appears brighter overall but this is due to whiter LED.
Outside the TM15 has better throw with smaller spill as expected

Being called for breakfast.