No luck with flashlights, what do you recommend?

bobs64ford352

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, this is my first post here and I'm looking for some advice on flashlights that take an 18650 battery. I started out with Olight S15 Baton that started giving me problems after about a year. While it was out for repair (over a month) I decided I couldn't wait for it to return and I was wanting something more powerfu,l so I purchased a Olight S30R Baton II. I was extremely happy with the light for about 4-5 months and then that started giving me problems and would only work in moonlight mode. That is currently out for repair and while I've been waiting for that I bought a ThruNite TN12 that I had for less than 3 weeks because it was faulty out of the box and I just sent it back. I'm not super confident that the S30R is going to last me much longer than it already did and I'm not sure if I want to give ThruNite another shot. What are the experiences out there for a flashlight in the $50-75 range that is around 1000 lumens and runs the 18650 battery, which I have 2 of from the Olight purchase.

Thanks, Bob

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
Wow, that is some rotten luck!
One the cheaper end of things, both the BLF A6 and Convoy S2+ are nice lights and cheap enough that it won't hurt much if your luck doesn't change.
On the flip side, maybe try a Malkoff? I'm not particularly well informed about them but I do know they have excellent customer service. It probably would be out of your price range though.
There are a number of manufacturers that make 1x18650 lights. The Fenix PD35 is a fairly popular choice. It depends what you want in your light, such as tint, USB rechargeability, or other features.
:welcome:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The BLF A6 also sells under the name Astrolux S1. I have both the A6 and the S1.

One advantage of the S1 over the A6 is that it comes with a short body tube that sells separately with the A6. The short body tube is nice because you can run with a shorter battery such as the KeepPower IMR 18350. That reduces flashlight length by an inch or so. Using the regular body tube (also included), you can run on an 18650 battery such as the Samsung INR18650-30Q.

These flashlights work better with medium-draw batteries. The flashlight drivers include low-voltage cutoff circuits that turn off these flashlights when battery voltage gets too low. Because of that, I am comfortable using the unprotected batteries I mentioned above.

You can also use protected batteries. A protected version of the Panasonic NCR18650GA would be my choice.

Although I do not own the Convoy S2+, I have read many positive reviews of it. Like the S1, it has an optional short tube for running an 18350 battery.

Convoy has an excellent reputation for build quality. Manker, the manufacturer of the Astrolux S1 and the BLF A6, has had nagging problems affecting several of its models. That said, I love the A6, S1, A01, and Kronos X6/X5 flashlights that I have. All are made by Manker, and none have had problems. In addition, I have not had problems with the CPFi Cometa made by Manker, but I had to add an insulating ring to the Cometa, in order to protect against short-circuits. The Cometa has been a disaster for Manker.

When it comes to user interface, the Astrolux S1 beats the Convoy S2+ hands-down.

If you want to move up to the $100 price-level, take a look at the ZebraLight models. I think they are the best compact, 1000-lumen flashlights you can get anywhere. I am a likely buyer of the ZebraLight SC600Fd Mark III Plus that is scheduled for release late this summer. It features both neutral tint and high-CRI, items that have become mandatory for me in flashlights that are not dedicated throwers.

bobs64ford352

Newly Enlightened
Thank you both, for the good info. I'm really liking the looks of the A6/S1 and the price is right. I also like how it is setup for deep pocket carry.

Bob

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Bob,
And welcome to the family. I know this sounds basic, but on your lights, did you clean the threads with alcohol and the contact points with electrical cleaner? I carried a number of Olights, and I found 3 months in my pocket picked up enough lint and who knows what else to cause problems.
A Surefire 6p can be bought for less than $40-$50 if you shop around and you can drop in anything your mind can imagine, fairly cheep. A two mode triple Nichia 219b by Sportac runs around $35, and a Malkoff(will survive a nuclear war), for around $45. There are a number of services that will bore it out to fit an 18650, or a 17670 or 16650 will fit the stock configuration. Good luck

ven

Flashaholic
+1 to eddie, yep he is crazy!!! but he knows his stuff:thumbsup: The nichia triple sportac is a great p60 for the money and even now against far more expensive ones.................it holds its own. May not have lots of mode options, may not be the brightest(still ample bright trust me!). Yet it just does the nichia hi cri flood thing spot on, one of the most useful and best value drop ins available imho...........
The black L2T(can be had for $20 or less) has my 2 mode sportac triple in(some of my work lights hence others)

I have a 4 mode nichia 219B triple in my 6p

Its kicked my loved malkoff m361N out of my 6p for a while now!!! that says a lot................(subjective of course)

bobs64ford352

Newly Enlightened
Received my olight back today and it looks like they sent me a brand new one, this time, instead of a repaired one. I'll see how long this one lasts. Probably going to go with the A6/S1 if it fails again. I like the looks of the other ones you guys posted, but for pocket carry most look too bulky.

Thanks for the input, Bob

ven

Flashaholic
I have read on here many olight fails of the little ones..............maybe its the switch that is the week point:thumbsdow

A6 is not too bad

Quite a warm(nice) tint on mine, cant say for how long it would be reliable for tbh, dont have that much confidence.............

bobs64ford352

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, my confidence in any flashlight, at this point is pretty low. While waiting for the S30R to come back I've been carrying the S15 again and kind of miss the smaller size, it just isn't bright enough though. The A6 looks smaller than the S30R and seems like it would be a decent carry. I love having the magnets in the bases of the Olights, but the side switches are kind of a pain and the light gets accidentally turned on in my pocket fairly often. With the S30R I don't find out until my leg starts burning. The TN12 was a nice light and I liked the tail button, especially where you can half press for momentary on. I just wish it carried deeper in the pocket, had a magnet and more importantly worked out of the box.

Bob

ven

Flashaholic
Tbh just go either HDS or malkoff, yes not cheapest, but buy once cry once and it will outlast you!!! Seriously.................

I can speak for myself and probably many, spend $1000's of dollars chasing the perfect light, heck you only need 5 olights and you could have a HDS hi cri and a malkoff............Just a lot to put out on one light, yet we buy 3 cheaper chinese ones that seem to have a history of failures. Henry has a life time guarantee as well, fails years on, he repairs or replaces it as does gene. Call it an investment for life, not for a year! Thats imo though.................they have a strong following for a reason...........years of this.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using one of my 3 A6's since they first landed. I have not had a single issue. It gets a pretty fair amount of use. So far, I haven't even opened the others. lol I consider it a lot of use, but of course it gets a lot of rotation between a few other lights I have. hehe

Hi Bob, :welcome:

Do yourself a favor and read-up on the Maelstrom Regen MMR-X from the fine folks at www.foursevens.com

http://www.foursevens.com/products/MMR-X-AF

The Regen produces a true (out the front) 800 lumens. It has a micro-USB charging port, and comes with the battery. FourSevens has a ten year warranty, provides top shelf customer service and free shipping to the CONUS. They also provide a CPF member discount of 12%. What's not to love?!

~ Chance

drummer132132

Enlightened
I carry my zebralight sc600w mk iii hi everywhere. It's $105 if you buy zebralights battery but a very good light for its size. Since I don't like to run my lights to hot it was nice to be able to change the PID to stepdown the light sooner rather than later. Gets hot a little quick but to be expected for its size.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
I bought the following to put together my first light. I hope it turns out how I imagine.

17mm DrJones H17F Driver w/ lucidrv2 - 7135 + FET
- H17F Spring: QLITE SpringDRJONES-H17F-17MM1$17.29

CREE XP-L HI V2 3B LED on Noctigon 16mm MCPCBXP16-XPL-HI-V2-3B1$6.89

P60 XM Dropin - Smooth ReflectorP60XMDI-SMO1$2.99

Solarforce L2P Host - HAIII - FWD ClickySOLARFORCE-L2P1$18.79

CREE XP Series 15mm OD Translucent Insulation Gaskets (XP-G2, XP-E2, XP-L)XPGSKT-CLR1$0.25