No more Duracell CEF23 chargers?

alins

Newly Enlightened
Is there any place which sells the Duracell CEF23 charger (preferably the CEF23DX4N) at a reasonable price? I read here some time ago here that they were available on ebay for about $17 shipped, but I can't find them ... I'm in the US.

Many thanks!

DLF

Newly Enlightened
I think they've come and gone. I picked up a couple when Toys R Us blew them out a while back (at about $12.99+tax, I think), and did sell an extra on eBay for about $17. Only Duracell-branded charger worth having

fishx65

Enlightened
Once in a great while you will find a stragler at Wallyworld. They really are great little wall chargers. I keep 2 at home and 2 at the cabin.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
yup when you go to amazon and they only have one available at $69 you missed out. I got two of them without the car cords off ebay awhile back but noticed they were drying up fast. The people that bought them on clearance from stores to resell have sold them all now. I never saw the car cord ones for $17 on ebay when I was looking they were always over $20 and I got one of mine (used) for $11 for $9 I can find/make a car cord they use standard sized power plugs and the current required is small enough you don't need a high current cord.

joeparker54

Newly Enlightened
I can find/make a car cord they use standard sized power plugs and the current required is small enough you don't need a high current cord.

The plug size itself is pretty standard, however you may need to grind back the plastic on the charger in order to fit the whole plug in.

OP, whats your location? if you live in the midwest and have a Meijer around I'd recommend the Powercell Intelligent charger. It's the slimmest one they sell, has 4 independant charging bays, charges in 2-4 hours and comes with either 2500mah regular rechargeables or 2000mah LSD cells and is around $15.

alins

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies ... so I guess I am out of luck. I live in the Pacific Northwest ...

adam83

Newly Enlightened
I just picked one up 2 days ago at a weis grocery store. I spied two hanging on the peg at the very bottom of the battery display. Flipped the package over and sure enough it was a CEF23DX4N with car plug for $25. :grin2:

Try looking in places that sell these kind of things but have a very low volume of battery sales, you just may find a diamond in the rough. Im sure they have been hanging there for years since the included LSD batts (durabrids) only had 75% charge remaining.

alins

Newly Enlightened
Available now on ebay for $16 shipped! Just search for CEF23DX2.

If you go through Bing cashback you can get another 8% off (just go to www.bing.com/cashback and search for something like 'camera' - you will see thge 8% off Ebay link on top).

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just picked one up 2 days ago at a weis grocery store. I spied two hanging on the peg at the very bottom of the battery display. Flipped the package over and sure enough it was a CEF23DX4N with car plug for $25. :grin2:

Try looking in places that sell these kind of things but have a very low volume of battery sales, you just may find a diamond in the rough. Im sure they have been hanging there for years since the included LSD batts (durabrids) only had 75% charge remaining.

I am almost sure the version with the car cord included has durabrids and the version without the cord has 2AA duraloops.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the only difference between the CEF23DX2 model and the CEF34DX4N model the car cord is included with the 4N and it also includes 2AA and 2AAA instead of just 2AA? I just want to make sure that the charger is the same in every other way.

Quension

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I've purchased both, and those are the only differences. The physical charger itself is stamped with the model number "CEF 23"; the other bits belong to the packaged accessories.

Lynx_Arc's observation about the included battery types is interesting, and matches my experience, but I can't say definitively that it always holds true. (Well, I'm not certain the ones that came with my DX4N are rebadged Hybrids, as they're rated for and measure near 2000mAh instead of 2100mAh, but they are black-tops.)

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am almost sure the version with the car cord included has durabrids and the version without the cord has 2AA duraloops.
I bought the one with the car cord, and it did come with 2xAA & 2xAAA black top cells, which may not be rebadged Hybrids, but are from the same factory (same can style that all cells from that factory seem to use).

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I bought the one with the car cord, and it did come with 2xAA & 2xAAA black top cells, which may not be rebadged Hybrids, but are from the same factory (same can style that all cells from that factory seem to use).

I call them durabrids because there isn't a known company that makes them and rayovac hybrids were the first major brand name using them. It doesn't mean anything other than a convenient way to distinguish them from eneloop LSD rebrands.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If you are looking for one (when the ebay $16 one runs out) a clue is to look at the package photo and either you will see a black Car cord picture in the right lower corner of the package or what looks like a silver/white camera. The black car cord pic is the one with the 12vdc adapter or course but I saw one listed as a DX4 that used the "wrong" picture and after I emailed the seller found out it had no 12v car adapter.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast

It probably depends on when they were made. I got 2 with car cord from Target when they still had them, with 4 white-top Duraloops. I also got two without car cords from a Kroger and a Walgreens, and one had 2 Duraloops, the other had 2 black-tops, or Durabrids. It is about impossible to tell what they are even with the package in your hands, they are trapped at the ends. At this point in time, though, I would not let it sway your decision, as they are both good batteries, and these chargers will be all gone soon.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It probably depends on when they were made. I got 2 with car cord from Target when they still had them, with 4 white-top Duraloops. I also got two without car cords from a Kroger and a Walgreens, and one had 2 Duraloops, the other had 2 black-tops, or Durabrids. It is about impossible to tell what they are even with the package in your hands, they are trapped at the ends. At this point in time, though, I would not let it sway your decision, as they are both good batteries, and these chargers will be all gone soon.

They must have cranked out a lot then prior to going to the duraloops and then later cranked more out with the newer duraloops then. Regardless of the batteries they are good chargers for $20 and under having bonus batteries is nice. I have tried for months to stumble onto one with a car chord for less than $20 anywhere without luck but I have managed to get two chargers, one new with batteries for ~$15 and one used bare one for $11. I was a bit worried the flip cover would be annoying but it easily removes. The main thing I don't like it with 4 batteries in it, it is hard to remove the center ones but then I have the same problem with my other chargers doing that too. Why someone doesn't make an eject button for batteries in charger I will never know.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently in-stock in large numbers at most (if not all) Canadian Best Buys. There were at least 8 hanging on the shelves when I was last in my local one. They were on sale for $19 CDN last week, but are back up to the standard $49 now. Still a steal for that price if you ask me - I love my charger to bits.

Reading their shipping policy, they do not deliver outside of Canada. I wonder if when CPFMP comes back up from maintenance, someone in the Group Buy forum would start one up? I've never done a group buy myself, don't have a PayPal account setup and have never shipped to the US, but if no one on CPFMP can do it, I'd be willing to learn how and get some more chargers south of the border.

cckw

Newly Enlightened
Looks like several of you went to that e-bay seller and bought. It appears that he ended the listing and relisted for $18. Still a good deal if you need it though.

Jbrew

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the tip found one today at my local Weis.