Novatac 85P Programming - I am an idiot

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, yeah. I am an electronic engineer and I spent 5 years as a computer programmer. I am trying to sort out the 85P. What I want to do is make it go from low to max in four steps, then off.

robo21

Enlightened
OK, yeah. I am an electronic engineer and I spent 5 years as a computer programmer. I am trying to sort out the 85P. What I want to do is make it go from low to max in four steps, then off.

Funny thing is that programming the NovaTac flashlight is like learning something new on the computer - Hell followed by Nirvana once you get the hang of it.

Get into the presets as follows:
  • Primary mode it's one click
  • Secondary mode is 2 clicks with the light turned on
  • "Minimum mode" is 3 clicks with the light turned on
  • "Maximum mode" is Click/Press with the light turned on.
Now once you get into each mode just click-click-press/hold and you will cycle through the brightness levels and various strobes such as disorienting strobe, SOS, etc. After you get to the brightness level you like shutting the light off with a click will save the setting for that preset or mode.

Last edited:

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, something like that. I know I can turn it on and click click hold to ramp up the light. But that takes forever. Click-hold maxes it out for the length of the hold Click-click keeps it maxed. But it would be simpler to click once through each of four presets. Click - on low. Click again, 25%. Click again, 50 or 75%, click again, max. Click off. Can it do that?

I did figure out how to turn on the locator! :)

Post #90

Newly Enlightened
I have read the manual a few times from the download version and that does not sound possible. I think you need to do like robo21 said to get between modes. I don't own one but it's my dream light :)

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny thing is that programming the NovaTac flashlight is like learning something new on the computer - Hell followed by Nirvana once you get the hang of it.

Get into the presets as follows:
  • Primary mode it's one click
  • Secondary mode is 2 clicks with the light turned on
  • "Minimum mode" is 3 clicks with the light turned on
  • "Maximum mode" is Click/Press with the light turned on.
Now once you get into each mode just click-click-press/hold and you will cycle through the brightness levels and various strobes such as disorienting strobe, SOS, etc. After you get to the brightness level you like shutting the light off with a click will save the setting for that preset or mode.

THAT I can handle - thanks! Why doesn't it say it that clearly in the manual? :)

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turn the light on and your on primary. Two quick clicks and a press(hold down button) and the light will start ramping up. Let go of the button and repeat the procedure to get it to ramp down, when it gets to it's lowest setting it will blink twice. Let go of the button and then shut the light down to memorize the setting. Then turn light back on, you will be at lowest setting. Two quick clicks will put you in secondary setting repeat above procedure until you get to the desired brightness and turn the light off to save setting. Turn the light back on then click three times you will be in lowest setting, two clicks and a press and the light will ramp up. Hold the button until desired brightness then let go and shut the light off to save the setting. Finally turn light on and click then press (hold for a second) you are on maximum and done. Make sure you start with a new battery so the circuit has enough power to memorize the settings. It obviously takes me a while to type.

Last edited:

JimmyB

Enlightened
Sounds like you got it now but just so you know, when you're holding the button down and ramping up through the levels, that is strictly the programming menu. It's not intended for general use. Thats how you set the light levels for primary, secondary, ect. Once set you access them as someone else described.

robo21

Enlightened
THAT I can handle - thanks! Why doesn't it say it that clearly in the manual? :)

You're welcome. I just got mine last Friday and was going nuts at first. By Saturday, with some advice from Derek Dean, I felt almost pro and began really loving the versatility of this fabulous light. The ultimate, true utility of an EDC light is not how bright it is (not that these lights aren't bright) but how useful they are in a particular situation. Whether on max, when searching for an item or on minimum when reading a menu in a dimly lit restaurant, or anywhere in between, there is always a perfect setting available with the NovaTac. :D :thumbsup:

Don't feel bad, the manual doesn't really spell it out and does take some interpretation and practice.

Nice thing about the light is that if you get lost in the "Options Menu" you can always do a factory reset and get back to stock settings - you will lose your personal settings though.

And remember - if you change battery types from primary to rechargeable or vice versa, be sure to do a Battery-Detect-Reset.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is what you do:

1. Turn on the light.
2. Disable the "force on" option (option #4, page 7).
3. Click 3 times to go to the Dim level.
4. Re-enable the "force on" option (the light will now come at the dim level)
5. Click twice to go to the primary level (set it for 50%, and turn the light off).
6. Turn light on (dim), click twice (primary 50%), click twice (secondary) and then set that level to 75% and turn the light off.
7. You are done. From here, when you turn on the light, it will come on dim, click twice to advance to 50%, click twice to advance to 75%, click and hold to advance to 100%.
8. To reverse, click twice to drop to 75%, click twice to drop to 50%, click 3 times to drop to dim.

There might be a better way to do it, but that's what I came up with.