NUWAI Q-III: The New Hotness?

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am relativly new to modding, but the QIII looks perfect for many reasons.

To start with , the unit is modular and breaks down to 4 individual components, all threaded and 'O' ringed.

It has a high quality, all metal reflector that treads in to the bezel. The reflector is very forgiving if the Lux III is slightly off center. Most members find the throw /spill to be pretty good.

In the electronics area, there is a LuxIII star resting on its heat sink and a nice large area to just about accept any
converter currently available.

And the tail switch comes apart easily and I am sure that someone will soon be selling a two level switch.

For $40 It's an experimenters dream come true.
With an extra body extension , there are lots of opportunities for DD and rechargeable cells.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although Nuwai exaggerates the Q IIIs output, it is possible to get near that much light if you drove the Q III a bit harder. I remember a thread that said the Q III is underdriven and some people used Li Ions in order to get all the lumens they can get.

ledaholic

Enlightened
I got a 22.4mm ucl from the shoppe. It fit perfectly. Some have said 22.4mm will not fit in theirs. Flashlight lens had a few 22mm ucl's available which will fit great.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
I also love mine. Eventhough I didn;t get a white beam, mine has a bluish tint to the LED. It looks rather cool though, like an HID headlight.

sotyakr

Enlightened
Thanks for the info! I'll have to give one a try.

[ QUOTE ]
ledaholic said:
I got a 22.4mm ucl from the shoppe. It fit perfectly. Some have said 22.4mm will not fit in theirs. Flashlight lens had a few 22mm ucl's available which will fit great.

[/ QUOTE ]

gorlank

Enlightened
I love mine as well as do the majority of owners judging from the threads, mine are all stock. It's a great light for converting the heathens too, as they don't expect much from such a small sized light.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dig mine too. great beam. great feel. nice sheath. couple hours of runtime. and it looks to me like it puts out a touch under 40 lumens. i think it's exceptionally bright for a Q3.

Santelmo

Enlightened
Allow me to chime in. . .although a newbie with really nothing to campare it with (a Rayovac 2AA with flexible head and an Inova Personal LED), I tend to agree with what everybody has posted. Great performance for value. Everyone I've ever shown it's light to was amazed with this "small but terriball" light.

On a side note, at a martial artist, I can also see it's potential as a "last ditch" improvised weapon with the "flash and scrape (and run like mad)" technique. I attached a small ring of nylon rope on the clip opening to secure it either to the thumb or index finger (for this use though, I'd prefer it to be .5-1" longer).

Niteowl

Enlightened
Oh, do I like the Q-III the way it is.

I completely wigged-out and got three of them, plus one for my father-in-law, and one for a friend. Don't know what I'll do when the next "Wonder-Light" comes out, I don't have any money left.

The only thing I might change, is picking up a two stage switch if the right type comes along. That and try a TWOJ in one for fun. Neither is likely to happen any time soon, though.

Mark

Kabible

Enlightened
I just tried out the 2 speed Kroll from my Arc LS in the QIII tail cap. It looks like it would be easy to adapt.

Next week, it will get a TWOJ star and UCL.

Brian

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
At $40+ S&H it's JUST worth it for me. Mine has exactly the same output as my LSL (S), a bluer tint, more throw but consumes TWICE the current. I use mine at work due to the little extra throw and its expendability.

ledaholic

Enlightened
sotyakr, After I posted, I checked the sizes again. The lens's from the shoppe were 22.5mm, a snug but good fit. The lens from FLL was 22.0mm, a little loose but ok. the FLL lens is about twice as thick also. If you get the lens from the shoppe, you might want to get the IMS 20mm(so20xx?}reflector also. It really improves the throw.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im all about throw so i might have to look into that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shane

kropek

Newly Enlightened
I'm almost sold on th Q3 but how does it compare to the Inova T1 which I've nearly ordered?

Cheers

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know anything about the T1. but nearly everything seems to be favorable about hte Q3, And if you get a bad LED, just drop in another star /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shane

sotyakr

Enlightened
ledaholic, thanks for the updated info! I might have to get a pot of water boiling (or, use my strap wrenches...) and give both a try.

[ QUOTE ]
ledaholic said:
sotyakr, After I posted, I checked the sizes again. The lens's from the shoppe were 22.5mm, a snug but good fit. The lens from FLL was 22.0mm, a little loose but ok. the FLL lens is about twice as thick also. If you get the lens from the shoppe, you might want to get the IMS 20mm(so20xx?}reflector also. It really improves the throw.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmitch

Newly Enlightened
I am very pleased with mine. Very white, and very bright. I also sent one to my Father for Christmas. Since ARC is gone and I can not replace my LSHP, I am using my QIII as a EDC. My ARC now resides in my gun safe and I don't have to worry about losing it.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i got mine, they work very well on Li-Ion's,

One thing. The pocket clips are a little brittle,, lol, i accidently snapped one off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Shane

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good light. Needs a standard clickie thought. I hate that reverse clickie stuff. Sometimes only a brief flash of light is needed or wanted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif