Off to Walmart to buy a Maglight ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had been looking for a reliable LED light for me and my son - the kid is in Afghanistan.

I looked at two popular +$100 +$200 CR123 LED's thinking that their claims of reliability were worth something.

Apparently not.

After reading the many posts here (thanks all you guys) about these two I concluded that neither have any Quality Control - reports of D.O.A. Can't blame that on user abuse. And multiple reports of other failures.

I can see that this QC problem is part of a broader issue. These two lack business integrity - both make new product release announcement dates which slip by a year or more.

One of these companies makes the claim : "It very well could mean the difference between life and death." I didn't know they meant my death.

Is there anyone that makes a reliable LED CR123?

Perhaps keep it simple - one with just one power level with less to go wrong.

I have been around a long time - never had a Maglight from Walmart D.O.A. In fact never had a cheapo light from Walmart D.O.A.

??? Sure looks from the attention getting size of your print choice... that this threads intent is meant to be more about stabbing Surefires QC than anything else.

I don`t have a problem with that...but this aproach is just a wolf in sheeps clothing in my opinion. :shakehead

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
Lx,
If it is a simple, reliable light you seek, any of the 2+ cell (cr123 variety) Surefire lights should more than satisfy. Yes, Surefire lights are grossly overpriced, yes, they are not on the "cutting edge" of lumen output and mode selection technologies. But guess what? The lights that they produce are more than adequately bright, are built with the highest quality materials and the most accurate machining, and quite frankly, when I'm on duty, it is comforting for me to know that if I need light (ie: when I'm securing off site buildings in a particularly bad part of the town I work in) it is always going to be there in my holster. And that has been my experience with Surefire. No I'm not on their payroll, but I have no problem recommending a $150 120 lumen light (E2DL) when I know I can get 300 lumens from EagleTac for $80 (I also like EagleTac products).
Take care, I wish the best to your son, may he come home safe.
OfficerCamp

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had been looking for a reliable LED light for me and my son - the kid is in Afghanistan.

I looked at two popular +$100 +$200 CR123 LED's thinking that their claims of reliability were worth something.

Apparently not.

After reading the many posts here (thanks all you guys) about these two I concluded that neither have any Quality Control - reports of D.O.A. Can't blame that on user abuse. And multiple reports of other failures.

I can see that this QC problem is part of a broader issue. These two lack business integrity - both make new product release announcement dates which slip by a year or more.

One of these companies makes the claim : "It very well could mean the difference between life and death." I didn't know they meant my death.

Is there anyone that makes a reliable LED CR123?

Perhaps keep it simple - one with just one power level with less to go wrong.

I have been around a long time - never had a Maglight from Walmart D.O.A. In fact never had a cheapo light from Walmart D.O.A.

Give him a SureFire LX2, no regrets! :thumbsup:

This is the best 2xCR123 LED light money can buy, period. Thanks to your son for serving!

Cheers! :)

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
PPS

I just finished re-reading a helpful post - I think it must be from someone in the Armed Forces.

We are from Toronto, Canada and my kid is a Major now in Afghanistan. I could repeat some of his stories -but that would be imprudent. But, let me just particularly thank all the American Apache pilots he has called up on his radio.

The light for him will just be a backup to all the kit he already has on his M4. I should have explaimed more. But, I did not want to talk too much about what he and his crew carry or their tactics - never know who is looking - call me paranoid. It's about all I can do for him, and better than just sitting around worrying about an unexpected knock on the door.

That isn't an OPSEC issue. It's pretty general information about what they are carrying as far as basics.

Tactics or location aren't open for discussion. Major OPSEC/PERSEC issue.

So if he has one on his M4, I'm going to point towards a SureFire. Especially if he is SOF or it was issued.

I would say to get a SureFire L4 with red filter. Then he will have a weapon light and good general purpose light. I've heard good things from soldiers who are carrying the L4. That's my vote.

It's just a floody light. Not a very big hotspot but with lots of flood. Throw in a red filter and all should be good.

Anything will beat humping a Maglite + spares in those terrains.

lxhunter

Newly Enlightened
Badbeams3

The "choice" of print size was due to my inadequacy with a computer and my inexperience - new to this forum.

Again, thank you to all you folks who have taken time to write such helpful replys.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
That isn't an OPSEC issue. It's pretty general information about what they are carrying as far as basics.

Tactics or location aren't open for discussion. Major OPSEC/PERSEC issue.

So if he has one on his M4, I'm going to point towards a SureFire. Especially if he is SOF or it was issued.

I would say to get a SureFire L4 with red filter. Then he will have a weapon light and good general purpose light. I've heard good things from soldiers who are carrying the L4. That's my vote.

It's just a floody light. Not a very big hotspot but with lots of flood. Throw in a red filter and all should be good.

Anything will beat humping a Maglite + spares in those terrains.
What about some INOVA InForce model? Tough, reliable, lot of colors and functions, I.R, weapon mounts, great warranty, affordable price, made in the U.S. What's not to like?

Last edited:

GPB

Enlightened
While some people here may have relevant experience to what a soldier in Afghanistan might need, I think it's a stretch to assume that what the average CPF user likes to walk his dog, investigate noises, or even light up bad guys will work in such a drastically different environment as a battlefield. Have your son tap into the knowledge and experience of the people that are there. Have him askk around in his unit, what lights have worked and just as importantly, which ones haven't. If you were looking at $200 lights it seems like your budget is pretty open. Let him find out what works best, and let you know. It won't be a surprise that way, but it'll work.....and that's more important.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Badbeams3

The "choice" of print size was due to my inadequacy with a computer and my inexperience - new to this forum.

Again, thank you to all you folks who have taken time to write such helpful replys.

Fair enough. :welcome:

Alright...reading between the lines...from the clues you`ve given I can see you don`t feel a Surefire would be on your option list...but I`m not sure what the other brand is you don`t want to consider.

Some of the best advise has already been given...two lights are the ticket.

Most light are multi level...at least 2 now days. Some like a Quark tactical for example (and others), can act as a single level light.

If brightness in a small package is important...keep in mind, we have a storm approaching us. In the next month or so 500+ lumen lights are going to be raining down upon us...running on 2x123 or 1 18650...just a thought.

One other thought...a low low might be very important to a soldier...so as to check maps or equipment with out being noticed. And just to move around in quarters without disturbing fellow soldiers sleeping :thumbsup:

Last edited:

lxhunter

Newly Enlightened
I am too simple to write between the lines - so no need to try to read between the lines. Not really the point, and one will come to an incorrect assumption anyway.

I don't know flashlights except the little Maglight I carry in my briefcase which is old enough to be a grandfather. Its' only rescue was to help a collegue find a computer memory card dropped behind a desk - amazing how dark that can be.

I do know that my fun hunting/fishing toys may be really cool at home in the basement. But, after a day of slogging the woods in freezing rain it's anther matter.

Again, thank you all for your very helpful comments.

gorn

Enlightened
My son is currently in Afghanistan. He is using a Solarforce light I gave him. It is his general use light. He has a Surefire on his rifle. When he was in Iraq he went through lights like crazy, including a Typhoon. The Solarforce has not been a problem. I think a maglite would be to large to carry if he is Infantry or some other combat branch. You have to remember those poor kids have to carry a ton of equipment whenever they go out of the wire.

lxhunter

Newly Enlightened
You guys are a great help, thanks.

I have just ordered a light and hope to get it off soon to him.

All your comments have really helped me. I rather not mention my choice - seems that one's brand preferences may be a sensitive issue, and I don't want to appear dismissive of all the good advice or unintentionally cause a slight when none intended. All the info helped me a lot.

If I had time, I would ask the kid what they are using in the field. I should have thought of this long before he left.

burntoshine

Enlightened
around about 5 or so years ago i started carrying the solitaire; my first EDC. disappointed in its brightness, i scanned ebay for "small LED flashlight" and found the Fenix E1 natural finish flashlight; i've been hooked ever since.

now i'm carrying the Nitecore D10 R2 with trit and clip. love that light!!

maglite lost me a while back. i tried maglite again when they first (eventually) came out with LED lights. i bought the minimag LED. the beam on it was so horribly purple i had to get rid of it. i have not seen a beam that purple before or since (unless you count my blacklight). well, maybe the nite-ize C/D-size maglite drop-in; what a rip-off that was, and so dim. shame on nite-ize for that piece! i like the LED drop-in maglite put out for the D-size lights. i got one for my 3D. i got a terralux drop-in for my 6D and that works well, too.

i just think they should expand their designs. though it looks like they finally are taking steps a little bit towards current technology. maybe the brick and mortar store simpleton sales finally started going down and they figured they had to do something. i would have been interested in the new minimag if i didn't already have much better lights. too little, too late for me.

i'm not trying to bash maglite; their flashlights were great when i was 10. i just don't get their stubbornness.

lolzertank

Enlightened
I'd rather they kept to their old technology... for example, some day they might realize/decide that their switches are overkill and start using a bad switch just like every other budget flashlight company.

crockett

Newly Enlightened
Personally, on a $200 budget, I would send him 4 Fenix TK20s. They run on 2 AAs (LSD NiMH would be much better) but I believe they will take alkalines in a pinch. I also believe NiMH and alkalines take heat better than CR123s. This should be a consideration because I'm assuming Afghanistan is hot. Small light. Have a great reputation of being indestructable. Bright. Been on the market long enough to build a reputation. I don't believe it comes in camo but you could tape them. I'm making this assumption for a general, everyday carry light. Weapons light...whole different ball game.

And chances are when he returns home you'll own 3 new unopened lights.

If CR123s are readily available to the military then the choices open up a bit, but for critical use I don't know how far I would want to stray from standard old fashioned, readily available batteries.

Last edited:

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
For 30 dollars, you can get a Mini-Maglite and a 3D Maglite from Costco. These flashlights use the new and improved 3W LED bulb that is super bright. The Mini-Maglite has Turbo, low, Strobe, and SOS modes. I highly recommend Maglite flashlights as they are built in the good old U.S.A. and are tough as hell. The warranty is also lifetime and Maglite has been around since 1955.

If purchased at Walmart, they'll be 60 dollars combined and you may get the obsolete LED versions.

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
Great suggestions from all who responded. Fenix makes great stuff as do Surefire. Do some research and you will see people in CPF know what they are talking about. A surefire 6P incan + after market drop in will put you out about $80 around the same ball park of some Fenix lights. No disrespect but M@g they are not the high end light when compared to others.

Are Maglite not high end because they don't cost a lot? Never confused quality to high price. Let's take a Mini-Maglite 3W LED and drop it 100 feet and do the same with other "high end/high priced" flashlights and see which one still work. Maglite has been around since 1955 and is present in more household than all the other flashlights combined. Built in America, by Americans, and for the American public.

Also with Maglite, I don't have to worry about them catch on fire if I happen to put two batteries slightly different in remaining capacity. Aren't Surefire unable to use rechargeable CR123? Also, aren't CR123 flashlights have great tendency of blowing up if two batteries of slightly different capacity are used. For example, if I combined CR123 that has 98% left with a CR123 with 87% left, there is a chance of it blowing up. There is a very long thread about that and people here end up with tons of mix-used CR123 left. Since these batteries aren't cheap, I see it a wasteful practice to not be able to drain all batteries out.

Maglite rules.

Last edited:

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I think Surefire and other high dollars flashlights are nothing more than a poor man's Ferrari. Everyone wants to say they are are unique people with finer taste by buying these lights when Maglite would serve them just fine. Maglite has served many people just fine from 1955.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a single CR123 light, then why are you talking about buying a Maglite?

My suggestion: Go to the malkoffdevices.com site and take a look at the MD2 with M60 drop in: Around $89 + shipping. Takes 2 x CR123's or 2 x RCR123's. Unbreakable light and only $89.00 !!!

With this setup, you have a huge choice of drop ins with varying outputs and runtimes. Don't forget to get the high/low bezel ring too Around $20 extra and your set!!!

James....

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I think Surefire and other high dollars flashlights are nothing more than a poor man's Ferrari. Everyone wants to say they are are unique people with finer taste by buying these lights when Maglite would serve them just fine. Maglite has served many people just fine from 1955.

He is asking to send a light to his son fighting in A-stan. A mini-mag will be no brighter than the one he is carrying now and a larger Maglite will add too much weight to an already heavy setup. Then tough the mountains with the light and the spare batteries. It just wouldn't be smart.

I've let 3 different SureFires sit at the bottom of an 8 and a half pool for over two hours. The same with two Fenix lights. They are all doing well.

The water submersion is irrelevant. Google ODA 555. One of the first two teams to A-Stan were dive teams and it's a landlocked country. That should speak for itself.

Your hatred is very obvious towards X company. Someday I would like to find out why out of curiosity. Always open to user experiences. Not here of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.