Off to Walmart to buy a Maglight ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenonk

Enlightened
everything i hear about tritium says it's safe (they use it in watches, too), but you're right, it is indeed radioactive. i understand the concern.
I place tritium close to carbon-14 on my scale of radiation sources to worry about. :p

i'm not exactly sure why the 3,4 and 6D use the same drop-in. i'm also useless as to any info on risk of burning the bulb from over voltage
The LED drop-in has a DC-DC converter in it, so the LED is getting approximately 3.6V regardless of whether you use 3 or 6 batteries. The incandescent bulbs have no converter, so higher voltage drastically increases current draw and they burn themselves out.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um, the OP came here, started a thread, never mentioned which companies or lights he had used, then stated he ordered a light, still never mentioning what it is.

lxhunter, if you happen to come back to this thread, please feel free to share what it is :) I'm very curious what you have decided to get.

The thread took a very different turn, but you seemed to get what you needed none the less. That deserves an award.

nbp

Flashaholic
I know! What a funny thread, we have no idea how we helped at all! Only that the OP told us we did....I wonder if he was overwhelmed by the banter and just decided to bail from the thread. :eek:

Lxhunter......what did you buy??? :poke: :candle: :shrug:

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
I can tell that some of you have spent time in the field, and are familiar with the gear and tactics. Thanks for your help and I apologize but I didn't want to describe what he or anyone is carrying. Let me just say he has all the kit mentioned here and more.

However, I think I can say he has a green Tritium map light, which I plan to swipe from him when he gets back as partial repayment for all the stuff he has swiped from me.

Some of us spend a lot of time reading about people who actually spent quality time in the field. Honestly, spending time in the field doesn't always make a person knowledgeable. I know people who spent time in the field only to be dumber. In addition, only people familiar with website like this one even use terminology such as tactical, in the field, operator, etc.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Holy de-railed threads batman!!

I'd get him a 6PL for CR123. If al he has is AA batteries for with a Fenix TK20 for 2AA and an L1T-V2 for 1AA. IMHO the two Fenix lights would make a solid 1-2 pinch. Lumen outputs from 16, 55, 98 and 180, two form-factors and off the shelf AA batteries.

Last edited:

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
In addition, only people familiar with website like this one even use terminology such as tactical, in the field, operator, etc.

That's funny, because last night while outside to watch the Perseids (meteor shower) I was quite literally "in the field" near my house.

I guess nobody outside of CPF ever does that?

And I'm not going to bite any more of this bait...

lxhunter

Newly Enlightened
I didn't mention the two companies by name because I wasn't out to bash them per say - just their way of doing business - great advertising hyperbole but overpromise and underdeliver - such as D.O.A. lights. These two also had a persistent record of missed promissed deliveries, by years in some cases. OK, maybe no big deal if a new product is late, but a symptom of the corporate DNA. I learned a long time ago that if I said I would be home at 9:00, if I showed up at 8:30 I was early. If I said I would be home at 8:00 and I showed up at 8:30 I was late. Blaming traffic never worked, I was still late.

I did not mention the name of the light I purchased tonight because this may be inadvertantly been see as a slight to the many insightful and valid recommendations and suggestions and kind help.

I just realized that one could be suspicious and read something into my posting ID. It is derived from the the name of my Matthews "LX" bow I hunt with. And, not a light choice.

I just wanted just find a small reliable light for the kid to carry as a spare. And I have done so with all your help.

lxhunter

Newly Enlightened
Would someone with experience on this site please ask the Moderator - or site administrator to delete this entire thread. I Don't know how.

I have just read a few intemperate posts wich would cause offence to anyone serving in the field, or family members trying to assist them.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of us spend a lot of time reading about people who actually spent quality time in the field. Honestly, spending time in the field doesn't always make a person knowledgeable. I know people who spent time in the field only to be dumber. In addition, only people familiar with website like this one even use terminology such as tactical, in the field, operator, etc.

This is so wrong that I can't even begin to address it without publishing a book. You're going to insult someone with a lot less patience than myself and others.

Every day your post hint more and more to a troll.

I didn't mention the two companies by name because I wasn't out to bash them per say - just their way of doing business - great advertising hyperbole but overpromise and underdeliver - such as D.O.A. lights. These two also had a persistent record of missed promissed deliveries, by years in some cases. OK, maybe no big deal if a new product is late, but a symptom of the corporate DNA. I learned a long time ago that if I said I would be home at 9:00, if I showed up at 8:30 I was early. If I said I would be home at 8:00 and I showed up at 8:30 I was late. Blaming traffic never worked, I was still late.

I did not mention the name of the light I purchased tonight because this may be inadvertantly been see as a slight to the many insightful and valid recommendations and suggestions and kind help.

I just realized that one could be suspicious and read something into my posting ID. It is derived from the the name of my Matthews "LX" bow I hunt with. And, not a light choice.

I just wanted just find a small reliable light for the kid to carry as a spare. And I have done so with all your help.

You're too modest :)

Posting the lights you have problems with would only help. Forums are just a mass of information. Without user comments and experiences it's just people who like to talk about the news. News is stressful.

While I don't think we are going to be able to get anymore information out of you on your experiences, which is fine, I do hope all works out well and your son comes home safe. That's the only thing that matters.

Would someone with experience on this site please ask the Moderator - or site administrator to delete this entire thread. I Don't know how.

I have just read a few intemperate posts wich would cause offence to anyone serving in the field, or family members trying to assist them.

Don't worry. Most wont even think twice about most that was said in this thread.

Last edited:

xenonk

Enlightened
I didn't mention the two companies by name because I wasn't out to bash them per say
[...]
[...]
I just realized that one could be suspicious and read something into my posting ID.
I daresay that you are perhaps too considerate of the sensibilities of others. :laughing:

I can't imagine you would be unduly abrasive, and one would hope most people have skin at least thick enough to respect your opinion.

I'm not sure about the proper procedure, but you may be able to use the "!" report button on your own thread to request closure if you feel it has outlived its usefulness.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
LXHunter first let me say as a new member you show a great deal of respect towards this forum and also showed very good restraint with what does appear to be a borderline troll. It is nice to see a new member with a good attitude and again it is appreciated.

As for closing the thread I will be happy to do so at your request as it does seem to have filled its purpose.

As to the borderline troll or borderline baiting tactics of Nick_45 I will warn you one time. I may be mistaken and will have to search a little however I believe you have been recently warned by other mods as to your general rude behavior.

As I suspected it was Nick_45 who was warned for his behavior in recent threads and it seems to me some comments in this thread are baiting comments. This would make it a second time you have attracted our attention and as such I feel you may need a little time away from here.

This thread will be closed at the posters request and Nick_45 feel free to return in a few days hopefully with a much more friendly way of doing things.

Status
Not open for further replies.