OH, MY! WHAT HAVE I GONE AND DONE NOW???

Dr.K

Enlightened
:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs
HOLY ____!

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, someday I'll get to doing a flat distance test. I've wanted to do it for a while. Doing a lot of cleaning and tune up work to the genset and then to the light. I'm one of those persons that doesn't want to use my equipment if it isnt clean and polished and I've got one heck of a lot of that to do! Chasing a couple of coolant leaks and one oil leak and trying to amass spare, critical parts before I can't get them anymore. Despite all this, it's a fully functioning unit that I could rent out at any time.
:popcorn:

BVH

Flashaholic
Generator is in the garage, light is in front of the garage and have had my new truck for about 3 weeks now and the trailer is out at an airport storage lot. Just got the load leveling hitch but haven't put it together or mounted it on the trailer or set it up. Never used one before so I'll need to get some help first time. Needless to say, It will take some time to do all the above so I can reload the units onto the trailer so I can take it somewhere. I hope you have lots and lots of popcorn!!

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generator is in the garage, light is in front of the garage and have had my new truck for about 3 weeks now and the trailer is out at an airport storage lot. Just got the load leveling hitch but haven't put it together or mounted it on the trailer or set it up. Never used one before so I'll need to get some help first time. Needless to say, It will take some time to do all the above so I can reload the units onto the trailer so I can take it somewhere. I hope you have lots and lots of popcorn!!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Quit whining. You know you love every minute of getting your baby up online! :twothumbs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had experience with a load sharing hitch that spreads the weight on the hitch through the entire truck rather than the back of it, if thats what you have they are pretty easy make sure that the load arms are parallel to the ground and that the main trailer fork is parallel too. If you can help it don't try to engage the arms with load in the trailer and the support leg up, it's like trying to lift a ton into position.

They work pretty well but if you truck isn't up to the weight then it still may not be enough the trick is to have a large enough truck in the first place, that truck the seller has is a good bet.

BVH

Flashaholic
OK, Lux. I stopped my whining! I dropped the trailer off at the shop last Friday to have all the mods done. We'll jointly set it up correctly when I pick it up.

I've got my first gig on Saturday night, Oct 27 at a night club in Reseda. Bob will train me before then so I'll be by myself on my first night out. I'm a bit nervous but what the heck. Gotta start somewhere. And wouldn't you know it? The location is very nearly under the approach path to BUR. Bob worked it last weekend and he says all I have to do is watch out for planes on approach and stop the rotation in the correct direction when I observe an incoming flight. Reminds me of my tank light vrs LAPD helicopter episode. Sounds like I'm whining again.

The beam can be seen from about 25 to 35 miles on a good night so all you "locals" keep an eye out!

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, Lux. I stopped my whining! I dropped the trailer off at the shop last Friday to have all the mods done. We'll jointly set it up correctly when I pick it up.

I've got my first gig on Saturday night, Oct 27 at a night club in Reseda. Bob will train me before then so I'll be by myself on my first night out. I'm a bit nervous but what the heck. Gotta start somewhere. And wouldn't you know it? The location is very nearly under the approach path to BUR. Bob worked it last weekend and he says all I have to do is watch out for planes on approach and stop the rotation in the correct direction when I observe an incoming flight. Reminds me of my tank light vrs LAPD helicopter episode. Sounds like I'm whining again.

The beam can be seen from about 25 to 35 miles on a good night so all you "locals" keep an eye out!

Don't forget Beamshots!

:popcorn:

DM51

Flashaholic
SUPERB! But I bet sooner or later someone will ask whether you have thought of upgrading it with a Q5 bin Cree, lol.

BVH

Flashaholic
Well maybe I should upgrade the "recarboning" lamp inside the drum to a Cree or three? (it's a work light)

I lit her off last night for the first time. It was my training class with "Bob"
Went very well and to boot, made me come face to face with one of my big concerns - aircraft (as you will remember with my tank light) I was about 9 miles from and directly under the ILS approach runway to BUR. Procedure- see approaching plane, when within about 2 miles of my light, stop rotation and point beam 90 degrees -perpendicular to plane path of travel. When plane overhead, resume rotation. No big deal. An LAPD helo also circled for a bit then left. Note to self - Try to stand back from light so I'm not breathing carbon/Cerium fumes ejected by the exhaust fan all night.

Sorry, no beam shots. Too busy training. First Gig is on the 27th. If I'm not too flustered under pressure, I'll try to get some.

BVH

Flashaholic
Wow! I now have 11 nights of work this month! That's almost unheard of in this dying business. I'm gonna be one tired person!

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
First Gig is on the 19th now and hope to do some day shots and beam shots. I'll be using the 1940's manufactured National Carbon rods so I'll have the best beam possible. I noticed some flickering when training with more modern National carbon rods made in India. Bob says they are inferior to the originals.