OK to point a gun at me, if you have a light also

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aaaaa! Its a talking bald eagle! Shoot it! Shoot it with you lights and your guns!!!

...oh wait, this isn't the thread where we pretend that we haven't taken our meds? Sorry about that.

Mark

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Re: OK to point a gun at me, if you have a light a

Avatars don't kill people, people kill people. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

The fact that members may display avatars showing a Bald Eagle displayed in front of an American flag SUCKS!!! If you took a Bald Eagle out of its natural enviroment and displayed it in front of a flag you would be arrested and/or fined. This is not legal in public, why is it accepted practice here?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic

hmmm... PC avatars, I hadn't thought about that. I think it's a good point, DaGunn. "Mag_despiser" (or something like that) was asked to changed his nick 'cuz the previous one was considered offensive. I see little difference between both situations.

Skyline

Enlightened

Honestly, I don't like avatars that depict the person aiming a gun at the camera. However, I also think it's my personal opinion, and I don't really have the right to dictate that someone shouldn't be able have a stupid avatar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Luminosus

Newly Enlightened

People don't understsnd that it is not the gun that kills people, it is people that kill people. If guns are taken away, the bad guys will learn how to be just as deadly with a screwdriver.

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened

Pointing a gun at someone is not in and of itself illegal and does not equal arrest. There are ruffian biker types who point guns at each other in their public settings but since no one complains, who cares. Only if you fear for your safety does it become illegal. That being said, Mickey does have an itchy trigger finger so it may be necessary for you to call the cops. Don't let that playful happy smile fool you! He's a menace!

I understand where you're coming from though. I see that angry Mustang in Mr. Bulk's avatar and it sure looks like it's gonna run me over.

bran·dish ( P ) Pronunciation Key (brndsh)
tr.v. bran·dished, bran·dish·ing, bran·dish·es
To wave or flourish (a weapon, for example) menacingly.
To display ostentatiously. See Synonyms at flourish.

The trick here I guess would be not to point it in a way that is menacing. Perhaps we could have a rule that the pointer should be made to wear something calming and soothing. It's gonna be tough, though. I suspect that no matter what, that gun will look menacing to some. Hmmmm.

turbodog

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Former_Mag_User said:
Avatars don't kill people, guns kill people. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I thought it was the bullets, loss of blood, and damage to vital organs.

sithjedi333

Enlightened

That little picture on your computer screen of someone pointing a gun at you is NOT real...

... just like the naked ladies you are looking at on the net. Sorry to break it to you buddy, they are not real either.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

As a fully licensed and trained armed security professional, I can definitely say this;
It's people who kill people. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif
Guns can't pull thier triggers themselves.
It's not like we have legions of guns sprouting little legs, arms, hands, fingers, eyes, brains of thier own and walking around killing people.......... seriously. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
And avatars are perfectly safe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
It's just the teeny image of our own human savagery that's offensive to some.

JMHO;
Such pics of savagery ought to be posted only in the cpf underground, where it's adults only.
(..3rd shift gets his glock 9mm for a cpf underground avatar pose...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

capnal

Enlightened

OK, I personally think it is borderline weird / creepy to take pictures of yourself posing with props such as flashlights, guns, knives, etc. I mean, why? What are you trying to say? "Hey, this is me and I think I am really cool and tough becuase I here I am with my pistol and my tactical light." I just don't get it.

But, like it has already been said earlier, to each their own. If you want to go to all that effort because maybe it makes you feel better, well, I guess that is your call.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can learn a lot about someone from the decisions they make about what to say and display about themselves here. Be it their avatar, or someone elses reaction to their avatar.

just think, I'd rather be the guy looking at the picture than the guy holding the camera /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Afterall he IS having the gun pointed at him!

According to the National Shooting Sports Federation firearm related ACCIDENTAL deaths were way down this past year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Last year, 101,537 U.S. residents died in accidents of all types. Less than one percent, 700, involved firearms. The most common deadly accidents involved motor vehicles, falls and poisonings, claiming 72 percent of all accidental deaths.

[/ QUOTE ]

Course, they don't say anything about NON-ACCIDENTAL gun related deaths /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif thats a 54% decrease since 1993. not bad, I'll take that as a trend that makes me happy. Might be interesting to know how many of those accidental deaths were avatar cameramen...

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

My avatar's Acme disintegrating gun is relatively harmless (disintegrates itself upon activation).
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Dale Gribble: Guns don't kill people, the government kills people

coby1man

Newly Enlightened

obviously its the people who kill people. But the availablility of guns makes people attempting to harm each other that much more deadly.

as facinated I am by them, when I look at the entire picture I see guns as a neagtive than a positive for any society

Raccoon

Enlightened

Perhaps coby, but since guns DO exist already, and have been in production for well over a hundred years... they're not going anywhere.

Even if our government banned guns and smelted them into playground equipment, guns would exist and would be used in crime. The only difference would be the good-guy:bad-guy ownership ratio will drop to frightening levels, where only bad guys had them and good guys are helpless against them.

We can't even stop illegal aliens from crossing the border, let alone illegal aliens carrying guns with them to sell to criminals.

With this in mind, my opinion is inverse of yours. More good, law abiding citizens, ought to posess, carry, use and respect guns.

We need a sweeping change of attitude. When was the last time you felt uncomfortable around a power drill or a steak knife?

DaGunn

Newly Enlightened

This thread was not to start a discussion about 2nd amendment rights. If you feel the need to argue this issue then you should start your own thread and not attempt to hijack mine. Ditto, if you don't like my avatar.

The increasing number of members with avatars pointing the business end of their firearm is the cause of my rant. I find this is rude, offensive, and disrespectful. It is comparable to someone with an avatar giving the finger or mooning their ***.

Dave
p.s. - In case anyone cares: I am the proud owner of an AR-15 .223 H-Bar, Mossberg Persuader (12-guage), Taurus 9mm with an integrated LaserMax sight, and a Beretta 9000s 40 cal. handgun and have a concealed carry permit.

Frangible

Enlightened

I can see getting PO'd at someone pointing a weapon at you in RL. But a small pic provoking an emotional response? Seriously dude...

Do you rant and scream, running around your house, when a gun gets pointed toward the camera in a movie? No? Ok then...

You know what Dr. Sigmund Freud says about a fear of weapons, don't you?

BTW, you are pointing a bird of prey, that spends it whole life killing at me in your avatar. I find this rude, disrespectful, and now I'm going to go cower under my desk in fear of a 100x100 GIF.