Old Kel-Lite Rejuvenated

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take on old beat up Kel-Lite from the 70's........

-Tri-Bored for 3x17670's
-UCL Lens
-Modified head to fit MagLite Style reflector
-Bead Blasted and Duracoated with Dark Gray ACU

Walla..............

IMG_0022-vi.jpg

IMG_0024-vi.jpg

IMG_0027-vi.jpg

IMG_0029-vi.jpg

JLavino

Newly Enlightened
Superior work. I watched Mac do some of the work to this light! Top notch! Congrats to the owner of the light for another 10 from Mac.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's great work, how'd you work out the switch and bulbholder setup?

For the sake of anyone else looking at this post, I just thought I'd mention that if you have any decent old police-style flashlights, modding them like this might not be the best idea. It's an era of flashlight history that you can't bring back. A late-model, 2D-size, medium-head Kel-Lite is a very rare flashlight in original condition.

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
ABTOMAT said:

For the sake of anyone else looking at this post, I just thought I'd mention that if you have any decent old police-style flashlights, modding them like this might not be the best idea. It's an era of flashlight history that you can't bring back. A late-model, 2D-size, medium-head Kel-Lite is a very rare flashlight in original condition.

The bulb holder is a ballast which fits the bore perfectly. The switch is stock but modified.

Mac

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
ABTOMAT said:

...and he'd probably buy it from you! (ABTOMAT, that is)

Regentag

Banned
:sold:

Hey, it's even rarer now! I think Don Keller would be happy with the way it turned out.

Hmmm.... I wonder if it's any brighter than it was with the PR-2 bulb?
And more importantly - are HID bulbs more "robust" when the Kel-Lite is used for its intended purpose? :dedhorse:

AWESOME Mac! Thanks!!!

Last edited:

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
:drool: Mac works his usual magic! Very, very nice!! :thumbsup:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say that's closer to "near mint minus" as far as these things go. Doesn't look like it's been used to pound railroad spikes.

Ooh, a D-ring tailcap. Those are hard to find.

Regentag

Banned
ABTOMAT said:
I'd say that's closer to "near mint minus" as far as these things go. Doesn't look like it's been used to pound railroad spikes.

Ooh, a D-ring tailcap. Those are hard to find.

Yesiree, a D-Ring Tail :) You know your Kel-Lites!

As far as pounding RR spikes, no... but see those little pockmarks along the body? Believe it or not I did throw it down deliberately and repeatedly on a gravel driveway about 20 years ago just to see how tough it was and to give it a "battle worn" look. Of course, it kept on ticking. Also (and Mac will verify this) it has seen it's share of leaky alkalines over the years... I had to pound one set out with a broomstick and a sledgehammer. These have eaten off the ano inside and left a cratered interior. Of course, it kept on ticking (after a good clean-out out with a wire brush and some bore cleaner).

Beat up... well technically yes (on purpose), so how about we give it an "Excellent+" instead of "Near-Mint-Minus"? :)

Just got the light back today... This particular one and I go waaaay back, and have more stories to tell. A Kel-Lite is a hard thing to inadvertently toss away or leave behind. You only have to pick one up to know that. I like to think it has 'turned over a new leaf', the Duracoat finish is one thing - and a pretty one at that - but the truly amazing part is the HID module, and the way Mac has integrated it into this decades old design so seamlessly, so perfectly. This above all is the part that I think Don Keller would get a kick out of. Not only is the thing every bit as effective for "defensive" use - stated to be the primary purpose of the Kel-Lite at the time - but now the thing is BRIGHT!

As Johnny come lately Dr. Matthews of SF is fond of saying, "brighter than a 4-D Cell duty light". Just a little. As in 300 lumens vs. 20 lumens. Thanks to Mac's expert fitting of the ballast and bulb module into the body (deserving of another photoshoot), the focus is dead-on with the head screwed down tight - as it needs to be for "non-lighting" use - and it throws like like you wouldn't believe.

HID efficiency being what it is, I'd say runtime has been increased by 400% as well. I'm doing a runtime test as I type this, and it's going on 45 minutes with no sign of letting up. Edit: The HID cut off clean and quick after 1h10m of runtime with AW's "new" 17670's.

"My liiiiiitle friend" has got some big brothers knocking about, including a couple of 7-cell behemoths that I'm inclined to let alone until the next quantum leap in technology... I mean, how do you top this? In the meantime, this old buddy seems pretty happy being back on the top shelf, and that makes me happy as well.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Regentag said:
Yesiree, a D-Ring Tail :) You know your Kel-Lites!

Reg, it's a known fact that ABTOMAT is our resident expert on the old-style police baton lights. The fact that he recognized the D-ring is not at all surprising. Ab, you oughta show Reg some of your collection shots. It's quite amazing.

Now, to the point at hand: Mac, your restoration work on this light is downright incredible. What an amazing work of art. As has been mentioned, no detail was left out - even the switch screws have been aligned. Superb. What a great CPF story.