"Old" (?) Rechargeable Maglite

FlashFinn

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone. New user here. I bought a used rechargeable Maglite at a garage sale this weekend. I believe it's older because it does not have an LED (I think it's an incandescent). I've been trying to locate an owner's manual online w/o any luck. Part of my issue may be not knowing what keyword to search on.

If it helps, here's what I assume is the Maglite serial number:

SerNum.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas where to get the manual? I did contact Maglite but have not yet received any response (probably due to the Holiday weekend).

I might consider some upgrading down the road but I have a lot of learning to do, like how do I remove the bulb? And you guys speaking a foreign language will take some getting used to... ;)

I appreciate any guidance that anyone can provide. Thanks.

ebuchner

Newly Enlightened
Could you post some more pictures of the light showing the lens, bulb, reflector, and main body of the light? That'd be helpful for getting a handle on what you want to find out.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not that old, considering. That's an incandescent Magcharger (they sometimes also called it the Mag-Lite Rechargeable System) from about 2009. They made them from 1982 through the 2010s with minor changes; yours is from the second to last generation that still used a mechanical switch. Any available Magcharger batteries will work with it, and any bulbs and chargers from the incan period will as well. They're excellent flashlights with HA surface finish and pyrex lenses. It doesn't have any particular value but it's one of the best incan lights ever made, IMHO.

Mag-Lite had the manuals on their site at some point. Not sure if they do know. I probably have one saved. I don't think you need one, though. Basically:
-Unscrew the bezel to change the bulb but don't mess with the reflector at all.
-Don't touch the bulb with your fingers. Wipe it off with a tissue if you do.
-It's safe to leave on the charger. It also charges slowly, like 12+ hours from empty.
-Point the bright end at dark stuff.

I don't use incan lights any more but I used a Magcharger with a WA01160 upgrade bulb as my outdoor light for a long time.

FlashFinn

Newly Enlightened
Could you post some more pictures of the light showing the lens, bulb, reflector, and main body of the light? That'd be helpful for getting a handle on what you want to find out.
Overall.jpg
Reflector.jpg

Bulb.jpg

Regarding the reflector, it doesn't appear that the inside plastic piece separates from the glass lens/metal piece. And it not clear to me if I pull out the bulb only or if it stays attached to the silver metal part (I tried pulling & unscrewing that metal piece but neither worked though I was hesitant to put too much force on it w/o knowing how it comes apart). Thanks for your reply & any help you can provide.

FlashFinn

Newly Enlightened
It's not that old, considering. That's an incandescent Magcharger (they sometimes also called it the Mag-Lite Rechargeable System) from about 2009. They made them from 1982 through the 2010s with minor changes; yours is from the second to last generation that still used a mechanical switch. Any available Magcharger batteries will work with it, and any bulbs and chargers from the incan period will as well. They're excellent flashlights with HA surface finish and pyrex lenses. It doesn't have any particular value but it's one of the best incan lights ever made, IMHO.

Mag-Lite had the manuals on their site at some point. Not sure if they do know. I probably have one saved. I don't think you need one, though. Basically:
-Unscrew the bezel to change the bulb but don't mess with the reflector at all.
-Don't touch the bulb with your fingers. Wipe it off with a tissue if you do.
-It's safe to leave on the charger. It also charges slowly, like 12+ hours from empty.
-Point the bright end at dark stuff.

I don't use incan lights any more but I used a Magcharger with a WA01160 upgrade bulb as my outdoor light for a long time.
Thanks for the info. I'm not worried about value, just want to keep it in working order.

The battery appears to be standard - Intec IMT-3500D which is still available on the Maglite website.

Does the bulb pull out or unscrew? I can probably get a stock bulb from Maglite but wouldn't mind a bit more light so if there's another bulb that I can drop in (w/o needing to change the charger or anything else on the flashlight), I'd be interested in that.

Your comment about where to point the bright end reminds me of the old Three Stooges bit about the backwards nail.

Thanks for the reply.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bulb pulls straight out. It should also be pushed all the way in in use--yours is hanging out in the breeze a little. The most common upgrade was to get a Welch Allyn WA01160. It cuts your battery life in half but it's around twice as bright. Although if you really care about brightness you'd be using an LED flashlight.

The reflector in these things is kind of a strange assembly. It's a spun metal shell glued to a resin backing frame then snapped into the bezel. It doesn't like being messed (officially Mag tells you not to remove it) with but if you have to take it out, you unscrew it from the bezel while you very gently pull. The metal shell sometimes comes unglued so I'd be careful.

FlashFinn

Newly Enlightened
The bulb pulls straight out. It should also be pushed all the way in in use--yours is hanging out in the breeze a little. The most common upgrade was to get a Welch Allyn WA01160. It cuts your battery life in half but it's around twice as bright. Although if you really care about brightness you'd be using an LED flashlight.

The reflector in these things is kind of a strange assembly. It's a spun metal shell glued to a resin backing frame then snapped into the bezel. It doesn't like being messed (officially Mag tells you not to remove it) with but if you have to take it out, you unscrew it from the bezel while you very gently pull. The metal shell sometimes comes unglued so I'd be careful.
Thank you! Unfortunately, that bulb doesn't come up in a quick Google search. I'll keep looking.

Is it just the bulb itself the comes out of that silver cylinder or does that come out with the bulb also?

Sorry for all the questions, just don't want to break it & blow my $7 investment! :LOL:

Thanks again.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that I look it up I think Welch Allyn may have discontinued most of their halogen bulbs. I haven't used an incan Magcharger in anger in ten years so I'm a little behind the times. OE Mag-Lite bulbs are still available.

It's a bi-pin bulb that just pulls straight out. The silver collar isn't removable on your light. 1982 Magchargers did have removable collars so you could swap the bulb socket but they got rid of that feature in the mid '80s. The very first MC bulb wasn't like the current ones but I've never seen one from that era, just the lights themselves.

Here's a 2000s manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/694053/Maglite-Rechargeable-System-Nicad.html

Last edited:

FlashFinn

Newly Enlightened
Now that I look it up I think Welch Allyn may have discontinued most of their halogen bulbs. I haven't used an incan Magcharger in anger in ten years so I'm a little behind the times. OE Mag-Lite bulbs are still available.

It's a bi-pin bulb that just pulls straight out. The silver collar isn't removable on your light. 1982 Magchargers did have removable collars so you could swap the bulb socket but they got rid of that feature in the mid '80s. The very first MC bulb wasn't like the current ones but I've never seen one from that era, just the lights themselves.

Here's a 2000s manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/694053/Maglite-Rechargeable-System-Nicad.html
Thanks for the manual link as well as the advice to fully seat the bulb. Speaking of the bulb, I'm assuming this Pac-Man artifact indicates that I need a new one. Or maybe the lens is damaged (I'll have to inspect that better).

Thanks again; I do appreciate your taking the time to help me out so much.

PacMan.jpg

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bulb looks fine to me. You'll never get a clean flood with these. All Mag-Lites have a donut hole when they're zoomed out to a wide beam. You can improve the Pac-Man situation by centering the bulb a little better so it's not leaning to one side.

Last edited:

ebuchner

Newly Enlightened
I might consider some upgrading down the road but I have a lot of learning to do, like how do I remove the bulb? And you guys speaking a foreign language will take some getting used to... ;)
If you want to look at upgrades, then there is actually still a decent range of upwards mobility performance-wise.

The first thing you should know is that the bi-pin bulb holder in your Magcharger can accommodate not just the stock bulbs, but the vast majority of commercially available halogen bi-pin bulbs that are indicated to have a "G4" base. This just means two pins 4mm apart from pin center to pin center.

The second thing you should know is that in the stock configuration the holder can't really take much more heat than is produced by an 8 to 10 watt bulb for extended periods of time. However, there is a socket insert available from Fivemega that solves this problem and would allow you to, for example, operate a Philips 5761 (6V @30W+) for greatly enhanced output.

The third thing you should know is that there are replacements available for the stock reflector that, again, offer improved resistance to heat and superior thermal management. One version I'm aware of is essentially a one-to-one drop-in made of solid aluminum.

A second version not only offers the thermal advantages, but is also physically larger and provides enhanced throw.

There may even be other upgrades that I'm not aware of, but those are easy and available. I also *think* that the battery barrel might be long enough to accommodate 2X32650 liIon cells or 2X26650 LiIon cells especially if you use a spring shortening mod. Perhaps someone who has done that can chime in. Of course, if you change the battery chemistry/arrangement to anything other than 5XNiMH or NiCd, then you won't get any use out of the stock charging cradle.