OLIGHT M20 WARRIOR SST50 TITANIUM LIMITED EDITION

easilyled

Flashaholic
I believe we now generally agree on the subject. Like you, I believe that Olight managed to properly design this light. I wanted only to point out that if they did, it wasn't as easy task as it may seem at first glance. These new single-die LEDs, even if driven at half of the maximum power, can be much more demanding than their predecessors from Cree driven at full power.

Agreed.

The Luminus-SST50/90 leds are demanding because they output a lot of lumens.

You don't get a lot of lumens without consuming quite a lot of power at the same time unless there's a big advance in efficiency.

I don't know the lumens/watt specs for the Luminus leds at different currents and temperatures, but suspect that they won't be a huge leap forward on other manufacturers.

Because of the high power consumption, although the luminus leds are single-dies, it is more relevant in my opinion to compare them with the MC-E and SSC-P7, than the single die XRE or SSC-P4.

I think they are an improvement on the MC-E and SSC-P7 because they are built to withstand higher currents given the proportionate heat-sinking.
In addition, the beam quality is much better because they do not project the donut/cross artifacts that the MC-E and SSC-P7 do.

The reason why I made my comments was that I thought 500 (presumably emitter) lumens output was quite a responsible level to set for this form factor and that therefore with proper due diligence in design, that the resultant heat should be within reasonable limits to sink and control.

There seems to be a conception, maybe a misconception, that Titanium is a completely unsuitable material for a flashlight and this winds me up sometimes because I think that in many ways it has excellent potential and properties for use in the casing for a flashlight.

I am fortunate enough to have a 3 beautiful Titanium Aleph-Style lights built by the likes of TB and Mirage_Man with biflupic SSC-P7 light-engines made by darkzero.

The highest level on one of them is about 1.7A, and the other 2 goes well beyond 2A.

The Aleph L.E is very small so there is not a lot of room for making a thick heatsink.

Even so, the light that runs on 1.7A seems to have no problem maintaining that level while running reasonably cool. I have touched the heat-sink after about 5 continuous minutes and its not excessively hot.

The 2 that run over 2A heat up faster of course, but their automatic shut-down mechanism isn't activated even after about 10 continuous minutes of running them according to darkzero.

I err on the side of caution though and don't run them for such a long time continuously.

Anyway, armed with this knowledge is another reason that gives me cause for optimism with the Olight M20 Warrior SST50 Titanium :)

LuxFAN

Newly Enlightened
I have mine on order. I can't wait to see this. 500 lumen seems reasonable if they are purchasing only top bin parts of the SST-50. Or course one has to factor in the efficiency of the optic but a reflector should be at least 90% efficient.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyway, armed with this knowledge is another reason that gives me cause for optimism with the Olight M20 Warrior SST50 Titanium :)

You seem to really have a lot of knowledge about the whole LED stuff...

... and I hope you are right about the M20 SST-50! :cool:

jahxman

Enlightened
Still the question remains, why not make a copper flashlight? :crackup:

Cause it will turn your hands green.....:sick2:

Come to think of it, why not make a solid gold flashlight? It has better electrical AND thermal conductivity than aluminum! And it never corrodes and looks great when polished! This could be the next big thing in flashlights! :nana:

CGD08

Newly Enlightened
Cause it will turn your hands green.....:sick2:

Come to think of it, why not make a solid gold flashlight? It has better electrical AND thermal conductivity than aluminum! And it never corrodes and looks great when polished! This could be the next big thing in flashlights! :nana:

It will? :laughing: hahah. maybe they could coat it with something :D
You're right about gold, it's even better than copper! ;) But doesn't Gold get easily damaged by sweat and oils? :thinking:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please forgive the lousy iPhone pics - I figured it was better than nothing. :)

M20-1-SM.jpg

M20-2-SM.jpg

M20-3-SM.jpg

M20-4-SM.jpg

M20-5-SM.jpg

M20-6-SM.jpg

RainerWahnsinn

Enlightened
Congratulations Matt, you won the early Picture-Match this time. Very nice pictures and a wonderful No.1 of 500:)

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matt,

Gorgeous light ... I couldn't help myself and placed an order for one, and I don't even fully know this light at all. CPF is evil. I have a couple of questions for Matt or whomever know the answer:

1. I never owned the M20 before, how do you switch mode in this one? half-clicks, turn bezel, or combination?

2. It says it has a fluorescent tailcap to see in the dark, the photo looks like it's a black tailcap. Can you confirm which ones?

3. Is there a sleeve so that I can take off the combat ring and replace it, or will there will an unsightly gap if I take off the combat ring?

Only in CPF would some be crazy enough to buy something without having full answers. :devil:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matt,

Gorgeous light ... I couldn't help myself and placed an order for one, and I don't even fully know this light at all. CPF is evil. I have a couple of questions for Matt or whomever know the answer:

1. I never owned the M20 before, how do you switch mode in this one? half-clicks, turn bezel, or combination?

On the "normal" M20, it is changed by twisting the head. I don't especially like it, as operation requires two hands...

2. It says it has a fluorescent tailcap to see in the dark, the photo looks like it's a black tailcap. Can you confirm which ones?
On the pictures Matt posted above, I thought having identified a fluorescent one. On the normal M20 there was one as a spare.

3. Is there a sleeve so that I can take off the combat ring and replace it, or will there will an unsightly gap if I take off the combat ring?
Nope, nothing. You'd better leave the ring on. On the normal M20 it also secired the clip.

Only in CPF would some be crazy enough to buy something without having full answers. :devil:
Hm, I was crazy enough to buy it without knowing anything about the emitter, the heatsink, the beam and where to take the money for it. Everything will be good, because the light is on its way to me! :crazy: