Olight S30R

tonywalker23

Newly Enlightened
One other thing… the glow in the dark ring on the s10r looks perfect. The gitd ring on the 30 looks more like glowing glitter instead of a perfect ring. Anyone else notice that?

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
One other thing… the glow in the dark ring on the s10r looks perfect. The gitd ring on the 30 looks more like glowing glitter instead of a perfect ring. Anyone else notice that?

While i don't have an S10R to compare with, i can tell you that my S30R, in comparison to my ST25, is exactly as you describe - just little speckles of glowing bits. My ST25 has a much more even (and brighter) o-ring at the head.

Anybodysguess

Newly Enlightened
I liked the glowing oring at first on my S10r but then not so much, it didn't glow long enough to be of hardly any use, didn't last more than 15 minutes, my watch glows allll night, even if dim the glow would help locate the light in extreme dark. And then, what I'd you don't want to give your position away and it is glowing? Don't know if it's bright enough to do that, but just a thought.

Anybodysguess

Newly Enlightened
On the topic of glowing, does anyone here know why flashlight manufacturers don't put a led in the handle/tail and regulate it to tritium tube brightness? Always on, it would pretty much draw less than the self discharge of many batteries. Maybe a topic about this, many a manufacturer will catch wind of this?

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
I am tossing up between the S10R or the S30R but not sure what to get, ok I know the S30R has more Lumens etc and a 18650 battery but do you think its worth it, or get the S10R.

Thanks

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Sorry forgot to ask but does this light have a Lockout feature where you can lockout the light so when you press the switch it wont come on.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the "off" position hold steady pressure on the switch: at first "moonlight" mode will light & then turn off: release button and you have accomplished the electronic lockout. When you push the button, the red low battery indicator lights up to indicate lockout. Just hold down the button until moonlight mode comes on and you have turned off the electronic lockout. My S30r is new to me, but when I EDC my S-10 I find it prudent to use the "manual" tail cap loosened lockout, as there have been times when I bypassed the electronic lockout on accident by leaning against something or pulling something else out of my pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just now read your previous question-asking which light to go with, S10r or S30r. I bought both-the S-10 for general purpose and the S30r when I am outdoors and need more range or longer runtimes. I also have the I7r on my keychain as 1 of 2 backups.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

billcushman

Enlightened
OLIGHT S30R CURRENT DRAIN

The following Olight S30R measurements were taken using a Fluke 289 high accuracy multimeter. Current measurements were made on the 10A range for the lowest shunt resistance. The Olight 3400mAh battery was removed following the current tests and its voltage was 4.1478V. The predicted battery life is based on the battery having a capacity of 3400mAh.

TURBO 2.3552A 1.44hr
600 1.2050A 2.82hr
100 0.2385A 14.26hr
20 0.0443A 76.75hr
1 0.0042A 809.5hr

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: OLIGHT S30R CURRENT DRAIN

I pre-ordered an S30r from going gear when they were first released and gave it to my dad on Christmas. When I first got the light the battery was low so I put it on the charger and about 4 hours later the green light came on. I use do the light about a day without any trouble and then re-boxed and wrapped it up for Christmas. He has used it everyday now since Christmas and charged it twice. Last night the low battery indicator came on and the light would not come out of low. He put it on the charger and the light immediately turned green but the light still indicated a low battery and stayed in the low mode. He said he wiped off the charger and flashlight contacts as well as the battery contacts but still had the same results. I have not yet measured the battery to see what the voltage is. Do you all think this is a charger related issue or the protection circuit in the battery? He is using an a/c to USB phone charger to power the charger so maybe it doesn't have a high enough voltage and amperage rating. Any help would be appreciated and if I can't get it fixed I will warranty it.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

I pre-ordered an S30r from going gear when they were first released and gave it to my dad on Christmas. When I first got the light the battery was low so I put it on the charger and about 4 hours later the green light came on. I use do the light about a day without any trouble and then re-boxed and wrapped it up for Christmas. He has used it everyday now since Christmas and charged it twice. Last night the low battery indicator came on and the light would not come out of low. He put it on the charger and the light immediately turned green but the light still indicated a low battery and stayed in the low mode. He said he wiped off the charger and flashlight contacts as well as the battery contacts but still had the same results. I have not yet measured the battery to see what the voltage is. Do you all think this is a charger related issue or the protection circuit in the battery? He is using an a/c to USB phone charger to power the charger so maybe it doesn't have a high enough voltage and amperage rating. Any help would be appreciated and if I can't get it fixed I will warranty it.

Sorry to hear about yours and dads trouble I know you feel responsible for the light since it was a gift I've been in the same position in the past.

At the end of your post you mention he is using something other than the cable the charger came with and a regular USB output on a computer so I have to wonder is it just coincidence that a couple other owners with similar issues tried adapters or other cables report problems?

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes but if I read those other posts correctly an a/c adapter works as long is it a high enough voltage and amperage, his is 5v @ 1000mah. I have called going gear and they are giving me an rma number for a replacement light. All I asked for when I called was some troubleshooting tips and the fella put me on hold then came back and said they would replace the light, can't ask for better customer service IMO.

cmichael

Newly Enlightened

I pre order my S30R few week ago, Got it about 2 week ago, But I see a donut hole in hot spot and very yellowish, take a close up looks at the emitter. It was 2 black dot at the Dom, Call up going gear, they ask me to send it back to exchange it. So I ask can I buy another one first with on sale price of 59.96. and I will return the bad S30R for credit back to my card, Also I request to check the new one before it ship. Got it 2 days later at Christmas eve. Open up the box and charge it full at green light comes on from the charger base. I check the voltage is 4.25V. And the light is perfect . no donut hole and cool white hot spot. I had deal with GG few time. Great customer service.

It's that normal Olight 18650, 3400mah can charge up to 4.25V ?

billcushman

Enlightened
Re: OLIGHT S30R

I pre order my S30R few week ago, Got it about 2 week ago, But I see a donut hole in hot spot and very yellowish, take a close up looks at the emitter. It was 2 black dot at the Dom, Call up going gear, they ask me to send it back to exchange it. So I ask can I buy another one first with on sale price of 59.96. and I will return the bad S30R for credit back to my card, Also I request to check the new one before it ship. Got it 2 days later at Christmas eve. Open up the box and charge it full at green light comes on from the charger base. I check the voltage is 4.25V. And the light is perfect . no donut hole and cool white hot spot. I had deal with GG few time. Great customer service.

It's that normal Olight 18650, 3400mah can charge up to 4.25V ?[/QUOTE

Charging to about 4.25 volts appears to be normal. You may have missed my earlier comments on the charger. Using a Samsung 2A USB/AC Adapter, the supplied voltage to the Micro-Dok measured 5.07v and the current was 740mA. When the current dropped to less than 150 mA the charging stopped and the current dropped to zero. I suspect the charger has a CC 750mA/CV 4.2v design with cutoff at 150mA. I checked the battery using a Fluke 289 immediately after charge stopped and it measured 4.2436vDc.

magnum70383

Enlightened

Just received this light. Great light. But it's a little too big for edc. It's a great light to leave in the kitchen plugged with the charger!

Camo5

Newly Enlightened

Also just received this light, and it is exactly as long as my phone, where it now resides in my jeans pocket.
I got mine off amazon, and it came with a 2 amp car usb adapter, along with the 750 ma magnetic charging base.

I don't have an oscilloscope or even a multimeter, so all I can really provide is an objective review!
everyone who has seen it has never seen a tactical level flashlight before, and stare at it wide-eyed when I turn it on high. It provides excellent illumination inside and out (but i was lazy to take pictures of it outside) This is also my first ever flashlight.

I don't know how big any of the other 18650 batteries are, but the light has springs on both ends to accept both the buttonhead it comes with and flat ended ones, the battery pushes in 2mm past the back part of the body, and is a mildly tight fit (wiggles slightly until it is completely in) and the threading is square.

I left it on turbo/high for 2 hours while i was skyping, and it was still nearly as bright by the end of it, I don't think the time ratings are based on a 3400 mah li-ion.
Ip0ciAXl.jpg
Ugu84Utl.jpg

Ftoa7Gdl.jpg
5VFvEA7l.jpg

CJwvLlZl.jpg

wlyMzAJl.jpg

Look at that centering (there are small plastic tabs on each side of the emitter that helps keep it in the middle)

I use my phone for most of the pictures, and the good camera just died ( i cannot find its charging cable, the end is smaller than micro usb) so i can just explain it:
the hotspot is a stark white (15% middle) and gradually fades into a slight yellowish (next 15%) then from there slowly changes to a whitish purple color (next 60%) before gradually fading to the edge of the spill (last 10%) There is a really dim spill zone beyond this, and that cuts off at another 10% increment.

My gitd ring is also glitter glow, and the glow lasts about 10 minutes. but the ring is blue so I don't really mind :D

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Without the "plastic tabs" the led would still be in de middle ;) that thin isn't going anywhere unless the soldering comes lose. Plastic disk is just there to prevent short cut and to make sure during assembly, the led is in the correct spot.

Latest posts