Olight UC (Universal Charger) Magnetic & USB input

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, these are now available on Amazon for 10.50$, bundled with some sort of mini led flood lights.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought one of these.

I have a question.

What happens if the two magnetic contact touch together while it is powered on?

I guess these is some type of protection but i prefer to know for certain.

Thanks

John.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing happens...it's nearly impossible to keep those magnets from grabbing each other at some point during the process, so I know from personal experience.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought it out of feed my addiction for battery chargers, 750ma is just to high for my RCR123 cells and to low for my 18650 cells :sigh:

John.
Yeah, I think they should have made it 500mA. At least then it would work with 18350's and just be slow for 18650's. 750mA is an oddball decision. Alternatively, the best option would have been a switch on the plug for 250, 500, and 1000mA. Then it would have been a really cool little charger.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I think they should have made it 500mA. At least then it would work with 18350's and just be slow for 18650's. 750mA is an oddball decision. Alternatively, the best option would have been a switch on the plug for 250, 500, and 1000mA. Then it would have been a really cool little charger.

I wonder if it could be modded, maybe change a resistor to lower the current.

John.

markr6

Flashaholic

That would have been perfect and absolutely unbeatable for the price (considering a few more $$ for that feature).

keithy

Enlightened
Just a quick heads up if anyone is interested in one of these:

Fasttech have it for USD$9.99, but using their New Year's coupon "TOAST" it brings it down to $8.49. Not sure when the coupon expires.

Might be useful for those of us not in North America that couldn't take advantage of the $6 intro deal.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Here is something and wonder if anyone knows why.

It seemed to charge just fine when plugged into a wall outlet powered USB. Tested an AA,AAA,14500 and 18650. But when plugged into a power bank so far two power banks failed to work with lithium ion. Have not tested more. It will glow red then after the time when the powerbank shut down due to not being used the Olight charger would also turn off. It did seem to charge an AA from a USB powerbank but didn't test that to completion and will tomorrow. I have a feeling this won't be solar friendly either. So why won't it charge a lithium ion from powerbank but do a LSD NiMH AA?

Woods Walker

Ok seems to work with a flat Mycharge and smaller Anker but not F1 or a larger POM. Not sure why some work with lithium ion but not others.

keithy

Enlightened
]I have a feeling this won't be solar friendly either. So why won't it charge a lithium ion from powerbank but do a LSD NiMH AA?

That's interesting. I am intending on using this in my backpacking kit as a backup 18650/14500 charger from powerbank and solar - I currently bring an MC0 which can do 14500 but not 18650, and the Xiaomi Zi5 which can only do NiMH.

I am still waiting for mine to arrive, so can't test it out with my kit yet.

steeps

Newly Enlightened
I just bought it out of feed my addiction for battery chargers, 750ma is just to high for my RCR123 cells and to low for my 18650 cells :sigh:

John.

I thought it started out lower on RCR123 and then ramped up? (see chart in post 36) So, won't that still work for you?

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
FWIW, been using 2 of this UC cable for past 2 months to test recharging my RCR123, IMR16340, 14500, 18650, 26650, NiMH AA and NiMH AAA, they work great with my phone USB charger, Aukey QC2.0 5-port USB charging station as well as my Yoobao, APC and Aukey powerbank. Until it develops problem or someone reported serious defects, this UC charger is going in every BOB in the family... :D

Woods Walker

That's interesting. I am intending on using this in my backpacking kit as a backup 18650/14500 charger from powerbank and solar - I currently bring an MC0 which can do 14500 but not 18650, and the Xiaomi Zi5 which can only do NiMH.

I am still waiting for mine to arrive, so can't test it out with my kit yet.

I will test for solar ASAP. I keep the flat MyCharge in the solar kit as it's 4000 mAh which is plenty for a little panel. So if it works with solar will add it to the solar kit including the MyCharge. Anyone know a good cheap battery voltage tester. I been using the one on my charger but want something purpose made and inexpensive.