Li Ion charger that takes 20 watt input ie 5v 3A ?

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm looking to standardize my charging cables to 8 pin iPhone lightning cord, and USB C.

My current 18650 chargers use the usb micro input.

I have a number of 20 watt 3A wall warts, so I am looking for a charger that will accept either a 8 pin input, or a C input at the full 3Amps that my wall warts can deliver.
Ideally the charger will also charge 21700 protected batteries.

Does this beast exist?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
5V 3A is 15w. Not sure where you're getting 20w from. No charger will ever take apple lightning. As far as usbc, I'm not sure. My chargers stay in one place so the cord will only ever be plugged in once and doesn't matter to me what the interface is. I presume you move your chargers from room to room?

Poppy

Flashaholic
5V 3A is 15w. Not sure where you're getting 20w from. No charger will ever take apple lightning. As far as usbc, I'm not sure. My chargers stay in one place so the cord will only ever be plugged in once and doesn't matter to me what the interface is. I presume you move your chargers from room to room?
@vicv Thanks for the reply.
Yeah it must be Chinese watts, that has me confused too.
Maybe it draws 20 watts and puts out 15 watts?
The ones I bought aren't listed anymore, but here's an Anker model that is advertised as 3A 18 watts.

I found this Xtar charger that will accept a USB C 3amps input, and I have it in my Amazon cart. I didn't pull the trigger because I am looking for one that will also accept a lightning cord.

I bring a charger when I travel, and am trying to standardize on USB C and lightning cords.
I have a power bank that will accept either input.
My cell phones will only accept lightning input.
And I have some flashlights that have in light charging, some will take USB C, others will take micro usb.
I have a bunch of cheap power banks that will only take a micro usb input. I bought a bunch of adapters that will take a lightning input and convert it to micro usb. The problem with that is my chargers will not accept 3A input through the micro usb input with the adapter. Half of my cheap power banks won't either.

I'd like to standardize on 3A wall warts.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fair. So standard usb-c spec is 5v 3A for 15w. The 20w and other numbers are usb-c PD. For power delivery. That spec can go all the way to 20v and 5a. Your 18w charger is probably 9v 2a. The wall brick and the device have a kind of handshake where the device tells the brick what voltage and amperage it wants, if the brick is able to supply it it will. That's why you can use a 65w laptop charger to charge a phone. So if you look at the wall brick, it will have a range of voltages and amperage it's capable of outputting.
I can definitely see your case need for a universal cable. Now that Apple has gone to usbc, once you upgrade your phone you won't need lightning anymore at all