Olight UC (Universal Charger) Magnetic & USB input

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's interesting. I am intending on using this in my backpacking kit as a backup 18650/14500 charger from powerbank and solar - I currently bring an MC0 which can do 14500 but not 18650, and the Xiaomi Zi5 which can only do NiMH.

I am still waiting for mine to arrive, so can't test it out with my kit yet.

The LiitoKala Lii-100 is one of the best single cell micro usb charger for the money, it charges almost anything and only costs around $6

http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger LiitoKala Lii-100 UK.html

John.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LiitoKala Lii-100 is one of the best single cell micro usb charger for the money, it charges almost anything and only costs around $6

http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger LiitoKala Lii-100 UK.html

John.

I got two of the 100s and two of their 202s two months back. I think I paid $3.87 shipped for the 100s and $7 for the 202s, for $22 shipped total.

They're nice to have as spares and to put in places you might want something an emergency--car, truck, tackle box, multiple bug out bags, etc.

I don't think that they're perfect and Henrik doesn't like the lack of 2.1A support as a power bank, but it's better than nothing, I gather?

Chris

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Initial solar test not promising but intentionally did it under poor conditions to try to trigger an error. Looked good at first but then showed green at 3.7 volts which isn't fully charged. Will try again in more favorable conditions, still the more complex the charger aka multiple battery types etc etc the worst in my experience it works for solar. Still surprised some of my power banks don't work with it.

edit.

Will try again in better conditions.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Initial solar test not promising but intentionally did it under poor conditions to try to trigger an error. Looked good at first but then showed green at 3.7 volts which isn't fully charged. Will try again in more favorable conditions, still the more complex the charger aka multiple battery types etc etc the worst in my experience it works for solar. Still surprised some of my power banks don't work with it.

edit.

Will try again in better conditions.

What solar panel are you using, and were in the world are you? I have a couple of folding solar panels (see my signature) 24W is my most powerful, though why i bought them when the UK only gets 2 weeks of sun in the summer and the rest of the time it`s windy cloudy or raining, maybe i should have bought a wind generator.

Do you have a ups power bank, meaning it can be getting charged by solar while it is charging you charger, this stops the charger cutting out when clouds block out the light.

John.

Woods Walker

What solar panel are you using, and were in the world are you? I have a couple of folding solar panels (see my signature) 24W is my most powerful, though why i bought them when the UK only gets 2 weeks of sun in the summer and the rest of the time it`s windy cloudy or raining, maybe i should have bought a wind generator.

Do you have a ups power bank, meaning it can be getting charged by solar while it is charging you charger, this stops the charger cutting out when clouds block out the light.

John.

I used a 16W Allpowers standard panel. Running a proper test with a 14W Allpowers high efficiency panel right now with a lithium ion protected Keeppower 16650 at 3.7 volts (same battery which failed the marginal conditions test). Also charged a dead LSD Duraloop using an Anker battery pack yesterday. I have several powerbanks. The F1 charger can actually do a pass through and is immune near as I can tell to charging errors.

Woods Walker

Here are the results. 3.7 volts charged up to 4.1 volts during weak winter sun with occasional clouds during the afternoon. 14W solar panel charger. Again a Keeppower Protected 2500 mAh 16650. I am feeling better about this but need to do another test. On a side note I have no scientific basis but really don't think the charge rate will kill anything including AA or 14500 instantaneously resulting in who the heck knows what. Sometimes the internet can blow (pun intended) things out of proportion. Or rather hope not as charged them both. LOL!

Photobucket sucks and is down so will upload pics later.

edit. On a side note 4.1 volts appears to be all it will take with the UC as it showed green when attempting to top off the last .1 volt using both the wall outlet USB and Anker power bank. Will test that again with another battery. Using a simple Xtar to top it off.

edit. Ok photobucket it up. On a side note the 16650 had about 30 more minutes of charging on the MC1 to reach the proper 4.2 volts.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

More actual use testing. Charging at 1a.

All the batteries charged up good this time. 4.2 volts on the Keeppower.

Charged a mixed bag of older LSD NiMH. After charging with the UC put them in the XTAR.

But the USB power supply was weak so pulled one out then did one that after.

It's was actually ok as they were not in the XTAR for more than 15 minutes or so before being fully charged.

So from that powerbank it did just fine. But then from an Anker 3200 it cut short at 4 volts (remember the solar cut short at 4.1). I suppose that's better than not terminating the charge but no expert on this topic. It's a PITA to charge in a wall outlet (but did totally work) as the cord is so short and it has gotta, sorta hang unless using the USB ports on my power stripe. So this IMHO is a mobile thing. Which still makes me wonder why the powerbank inconstancy? I tested it with a larger Anker, 13000 mAh and it seemed to work fully but didn't write anything down or really double check it. Going to test some more with a few more powerbanks. Overall my advice is to test it with whatever power supply first before depending on it. I was really surprised the F1 didn't work to charge lithium ion yet seemed to work with NiMH when using the UC. I gotta revisit that. Given the light weight and bulk will probably pack it to support my camera, takes AA and headlamps AA/18650/14500 using a compatible power bank. Still don't get why they all don't work.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Mine is blinking red every few seconds trying to charge a 14500. 18650 works fine. It's not the 3 blinks/second for standby, so not sure what's up.

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is blinking red every few seconds trying to charge a 14500. 18650 works fine. It's not the 3 blinks/second for standby, so not sure what's up.

Mine does a single red flash every 3 seconds, when no battery is connected.

It should be a constant red while charging that turns to green when the battery is full.

John.

Woods Walker

I have charged 14500 with it just fine but will test that again once the Tiara as used one up. Did you try another battery?

keithy

Enlightened
I have charged 14500 with it just fine but will test that again once the Tiara as used one up. Did you try another battery?

I've also just charged an Olight 14500 and a Keeppower 14500 with mine with no problems. Have you tested that 14500 in another charger?

I'll be testing mine with my solar panels over the next weekend.

keithy

Enlightened
HKJ's review is out now http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?429485-Test-review-of-Charger-Olight-UC and it says that the charger does not restart when the voltage drops.

On my solar panel test today, it was clear sunny day for at least 5 hours, and I tested charging NiMH AAs, which appeared to have charged fine. I will test again in cloudy conditions as well.

And if anyone is interested, I found a perfect DIY case for it, using an empty Mentos gum container. The case is fairly small and lightweight, is splashproof and protects the charger from magnetising other things in my backpack when I go hiking:

NKT1CwA.jpg

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a protected 18650 which has had the positive button mashed down by a light. The olight charger blinks red and doesn't charge with it. The solution is to add a small steel BB to the magnet that's on the mashed positive, charges fine now that it can make contact.
This makes me think that the magnetic contacts are needlessly big and heavy, two small rare earth magnet spheres could sit in pressed copper pouch/sleeves instead.

ko4nrbs

Newly Enlightened
Having the ability to use this charger with a Solar Panel would be a big asset for me. I'll do some testing with a Solar Panel as well when I get home from Florida in March.

Please continue to post your Solar charging results for us and I will do the same.

Bill

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore F1 is a good charger/powebank for use with solar as it has an ups function, meaning it can be getting charged by the sun while it is charging your phone ect, And if the clouds block the sun the ups feature keeps your device charging.

John.