On a maglite mod should I glue the driver to the back of the heatsink?

LivingDaylight

Newly Enlightened
I modded a 3D Maglite with an XPG on 14mm board, the shiningbeam 1.4Amp driver, and a HAII heat sink.

Should I glue the driver to the back of the heatsink? It seems to me this would be wise to make it move around less, and dissipate the heat. My thermal glue is DX SKU 4579 . It is non-conductive, at least according to my cheap multimeter.

Last edited by a moderator:

yazovyet

Enlightened
yes, glue it there. only time I would say not to is if you know you need to switch it later or if you had a seperate heatsink to glue it to.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, back of the sink is fine, but if you use 1 li ion, or 3x nimh cells, there is no need to heatsink it, i build about a dozen of xm-l lights with 2,8a SB driver, (basicly the same as yours but with 4 more amc chips) unless you go with 4 nimh cells or 2 cr123 cells, heat isn't a problem, the chips wont even heat up much. i had no failures of unheatsinked drivers (linear amc based) that work on 1 li ion yet.

LivingDaylight

Newly Enlightened
yea, back of the sink is fine, but if you use 1 li ion, or 3x nimh cells, there is no need to heatsink it, i build about a dozen of xm-l lights with 2,8a SB driver, (basicly the same as yours but with 4 more amc chips) unless you go with 4 nimh cells or 2 cr123 cells, heat isn't a problem, the chips wont even heat up much. i had no failures of unheatsinked drivers (linear amc based) that work on 1 li ion yet.

Just curious, why did you make a dozen of them?

LivingDaylight

Newly Enlightened
2 hands, 2 coat pockets, 2 pants pockets, and a buddy with the same ;)

I thought I was bad! I have 3 more heat sinks ordered, and I'm steadily accumulating $5 maglites from the local classifieds. I'll probably give a couple away, keep one in the car, one in my night table, etc.