Ordered a Arc 6 Yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblackwood

Enlightened
The Ti clip used on the Arc6 and Don's lights can be adjusted to preference. Just bend it a bit.

I already did for both of mine. I just don't want it too loose or that defeats the purpose. I find the RA lights (and 4sevens' Quarks) have that higher lip that lets you just slide them on while still being able to maintain that higher tension on the contact points of the clip. While RA lights carry deep enough for me, they're too wide for my back pocket when compared to Quarks and the LS20, on which I have to lift the clip with my nail. OTH, the Quarks don't carry deeply enough and the RA is bezel up, which leaves my LS20 as my fave! Not that much trouble at all, in my book, but when you're comparing lights, you're comparing lights! Thanks for the suggestion, carrot.

Last edited:

jblackwood

Enlightened
JBlackwood:

All the red ink makes me feel like it's a teachers comments on a paper! :crackup:

If you only knew . . . :devil:

Please note, I'm not saying the Arc6 is a "better" choice… just that it is a valid choice and NOT a bad choice. :)

Bravo. I agree. Anyone who says "mine is better than yours :nana:" is hardly worth a response. Neither of you are saying this and it's nice to see a civil, if sometimes heated, discussion. :thumbsup:

Per-Sev

Enlightened
I am so over it. I will cancel the order today - my original order went in on the 25th of March and now 2 1/2 weeks later, nothing - I won't rehash the details, but it's been enough of a hassle that I've lost any desire to own this light, and that's a shame because I know it is a great little light. I'll just live vicariously through all of you!

No misplaced "cheers" or "jeers" here - it would be inappropriate - but I am disappointed.

:thumbsdow
That really sucks that you are having all this trouble, I know you want to spare us the details but have you talked to Maria over the phone or just by emails. I hate to see this get to the point where the product suffers because someone dropped the ball. I hope you will call her and give it one more try, the light is really worth the money and I am sure you would like it.

dagored

Enlightened
I am so over it. I will cancel the order today - my original order went in on the 25th of March and now 2 1/2 weeks later, nothing - I won't rehash the details, but it's been enough of a hassle that I've lost any desire to own this light, and that's a shame because I know it is a great little light. I'll just live vicariously through all of you!

No misplaced "cheers" or "jeers" here - it would be inappropriate - but I am disappointed.

:thumbsdow

As stated previously, I was following this thread to see the outcome.

After wading thru a brief rebuttal of different lights, interesting, I am glad to see that Per-Sev, the OP. finally received his light. Although, it took some persistence on his part.

Again, I was tempted, but when run4jc, gave up on his order, I am again on hold.

Dan was very, very, very helpful when I needed info on both McGizmo Haikus and Sundrops. Because of him, I have acquired two of the Haikus and just missed an XR-U on the BST Custom forum the other day. (Hope you enjoy the light kaichu dento.) He did not steer me wrong, I am very happy with both lights. I respect Dan's opinion.

Although he said nothing against the Arc6, I do not think that I could go through the agony and frustration quite a few of you have endured.

Threads such as these have been very helpful in my acquisition of many different lights.:twothumbs

Per-Sev

Enlightened
I am seeing a pattern here it would appear that people that have ordered there lights about one month ago and sooner are all starting to receive there lights to me that might indicate that they were out of stock on something they might have needed to complete your orders and that would explain why I got mine so fast, I just got lucky with my timing. Maybe I am wrong but it seems that way. I am also seeing a discussion about what light is better the Ra or the ARC I can only speak about the light I own but I was considering the RaClicky if this light fell through. Some people take there lights very seriously on here but my purpose was simple I wanted a nice light to EDC in edition to my Quark Preon II Ti that I own. Since I am new to the world of LED lights all the technical terms go over my head I based my decision on the website info and since I was a big knife collector and really like a well made knife the ARC 6 looked like it was a well made light. Now remember I bought this before I saw this forum so I never saw the RaClicky before. Had I seen it first maybe I would have bought it instead of the ARC 6. They both have there place and I would be happy with either one. :twothumbs

Last edited:

Kgp

Newly Enlightened
I also manage a business, if a part it is out of stock, that is the first thing I tell my customer. I would never dream of stringing some one along like that. Even worse so many people like that. I just think that is wrong from a business prospective. Though a good light, the CS is the worst I have seen. That is just my thoughts.

Happy you got your light, not happy they put you through all the BS.

SFfanman

Enlightened
I also manage a business, if a part it is out of stock, that is the first thing I tell my customer. I would never dream of stringing some one along like that. Even worse so many people like that. I just think that is wrong from a business prospective. Though a good light, the CS is the worst I have seen. That is just my thoughts.

Happy you got your light, not happy they put you through all the BS.

+10 :twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

Dragored, I agree with you, Dan is the man. However, if you have the extra patience and can prepare yourself for a possible upset, you might want to give it a go. Who know's, maybe you'll get lucky like Per-Sev and receive it right away. I don't want to sway you in any way though as my experience was not so lucky. That's why this is a great thread.

Regarding the Arc6 vs Ra debate......I too like a good, civil heated discussion. Funny how beam characteristics never entered the equation. Maybe because they are so similiar or it is merely subjective also. :popcorn:

dagored

Enlightened
SFfanman, I will bide my time. Not in a big hurry. I patiently weigh the options, output, size, and basic functions of every light I buy. I do not believe there is one I own that I do not like and I have about 22.

As far as RA lights - I have four - 2 Twisty's and 2 Clicky's - Another great light.

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
Daberti,

I agree with your points 4, 5 and mostly 6.

However, the rest of your points and your apparent conclusion that in any discussion of an Arc6 the correct answer is Ra Clicky are quite flawed.

The value of more brightness levels and strobe levels is a preference, not an objective statement of superiority. Some people do bot want or need more levels, let alone strobe options. Likewise, the value of performance as you defined (brightness) is also subjective. Brighter is not always necessary, required for the end users tasks, or better.

no more gasoline over the fire. Just some considerations.

Would it be feasible to have decent electronic handling of levels 7-5 included? Decent, not hyper like. Apparently not.
This leaving all other strobe bells and whistles alone.
Is this an added value when this less than average electronics have not been improved since 2008? Just asking. More brightness is not always necessary. Right. Achieving more brightness allowing more runtime using same batts means SUPERIOR flashlight. This is a fact, not a subjective judgement. Having this at less bucks is even better.
So, if a flaw is binding to facts, yes, I'm flawed.

Price: again entirely subjective. People are always willing to pay more for a product that meets their preferences, needs and wants: even if other comparable products that are not as preferable are cheaper (see BMW, Apple, and Sony).

Quite right. Preferences are preferences, but it is possible to make a price per value judgement, possibly with reference being made to functionalities, beam quality, electronics quality. Otherwise everyone could just say: "This flashlight is the best because I do prefer it" and this is a flaw.

Electronics: just because the electronics do not provide your preference or definition of best does not mean they are not advanced. Others more techically inclined can reply here onthis issue: but I have read on CPF much praise for the electronic genius ofthe circuitry in the Arc6.

Electronics do not provide decent behaviour at level 7-5. Everyone knows. This has not been addressed. For a 200bucks light it is a shame.

Support. It appears that support is not consistent; and in this regard I agree with that Ra has impeccable support. However, in my experience and others' Arc has provided excellent support so I do not believe this is a settled argument.

Facts: I've read two folks givin' up their orders today. And one yesterday that received extra stuff from Lisa as a "refund" for all of the hassles he had to go through. This is not support. Arguably.

Ultimately, the Ra Clicky is a fantastic light and considering only on terms of most options/features/effeciency PER DOLLAR SPENT, the Clicky wins.

However, many of us who love the Arc6 and EDC it rather than a Ra have valid reasons. And, as far as I'm concerned, the Arc is a better match to my needs and preferences than te Ra is.

Personally speaking ...uuuhhh. I'm happy that it is your match, I wonder if should I decide it could be mine as well when could I have it in my hands... :laughing:

The Arc is factually smaller. The Arc has a different (arguably simpler) interface. Both of these particular items made me willing to pay $50 more and lose some runtime and levels I've never used anyway. When it comes to using rechargeables, runtime is far less a factor. There is a reason I waited to buy until the Arc was $200. The fact that it matches my needs was outweighed by the prior $300 pricepoint. But at $200 ($50 more than most standard Ra lights) it was a great deal.

Ra Clicky Custom flashlight: $139.00, Part number: EDC-140-E,
Description: EDC Executive, 140 lumens (Ra Clicky Executive 140), straight from their site. 200-139=61USD
When we come to rechargeable runtime is even a more critical factor, depending on the meant use: with my RaClicky 140 (sold) I scored 1h 8' on AW RCR123 at max continuous output, 100Lm. 64' at 120Lm with same cells on my custom Clicky 170.
More than a warranty for many trekking sessions or night shooting range happenings.

Also, the Arc was deigned to be easy to swap the emitters. As far as I know, this is not nearly as easy on a Ra. This is also a factor many consider superior.

This is plain true. But how many emitters upgrades have been made available since Arc6 release? Just asking.

My point is not to argue, only to point out that some better specs does not always equate to better value for every need or preference.

Already answered ;)

Finally as I've said before: if the Ra was shorter/slimmer or had a less bulky, visible pocket clip, I would have had a closer choice: the only edge the Arc6 would have had for me is the Piston Drive.

Clip: it is plain true. I do admit with no reserve. Actually I do carry it in a particular velcro pouch that has room for two spare cells.
For the future I'm planning to make a kydex holster for my personal use.

Last but not least: reading -it was not you- that my judgement is influenced by being a Lumapower Dealer made me laugh as a nut :)
Arc6 is nice, possibly worth buying. But to me spending 200USD (or even 50) in a flashlight that has three virtually "unusable" levels out of 7 is a no go.

Last edited:

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
Bravo. I agree. Anyone who says "mine is better than yours :nana:" is hardly worth a response. Neither of you are saying this and it's nice to see a civil, if sometimes heated, discussion. :thumbsup:

Neither mine is better than yours.
Just trying to push Arc6 HQ to improve their flashlight (and support) and decrease the price ;)

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
Some people don't like having to double-, triple-, and quadruple-click their lights to get them to do things. With an Arc6, I push the button a little and I get some light, I push it harder and I get more light. Personally I don't even use the "panic-button" third mode.
I'm curious, how often do you find yourself cycling through modes to find just the right one before you actually point the light at the thing you wanted to see? I pretty much just slam it on High unless I know that will blind me, then I use Low instead.

Guilty late on your post :( Sorry.
I use my flashlight (you already know brand and make) in so many situations. When at home I pop it at what I programmed, 21Lm. One click to put light on.
When at the shooting range (indoor, poorly enlightened) I go with the 42Lm setting which is more than enough. Two clicks away. trekking mostly needs 42Lm, but it is two clicks just the first time as I use the memory option. During summer long blackouts I use the max setting: 170Lm that turns into 120Lm after 10sec. once again I use the memory function, thus it is only one click away.
But you hit an important point: to many clicks sometimes.
Thus I'm thinking about buying a RaTwisty 140GT.

Really? You care that much about being able to buy the same flashlight with different brands of emitters? Or is this just a "Brand X does it, so why doesn't Brand Y do it" issue?

Every emitter has its own advantages and RaLights has demostrated.
All that simple.

The lack of Hi-CRI is a valid complaint, but the tints are all hand-calibrated via firmware at the shop -- every Arc6 has the exact same tint and flux as every other Arc6. Do you know any other brands that offer perfect consistency between emitters?

Sure: RaLight. Go and see about the Guaranteed Tint flashlights they offer. Twisties and Clickies.
Have you ever heard about a brand that sells guaranteed CRI flashlights with an index of 93 as well?

I think you're talking about something to keep contact with both terminals of the battery when the light gets jostled around. I guess that's a valid complaint, but I haven't run into any problems where the light shut off (that my eyes could see). I'm not really sure how it would make a difference on a gun, since firing a gun causes the gun to move backwards, which should pull the + terminal of the battery even harder against the driver board. But I dunno, there could be other things going on I'm not aware of. Anyway, if it did disengage from the driver board, it would only be for a few hundredths of a second if that much, because the - terminal spring would shove the battery right back into place.

Very very roughly.
When a handgun recoils (an auto handgun) an impulse is transmitted to barrel and slide in the backwards direction. Light is anchored to the frame, not to the slide, the handgun lifts, the impulse is towards back, the battery has to go backwards as well as sidewise as even the perfect shooters cannot completely avoid lateral effects. Led does not crack, we all know. But battery will be pushed backwards and laterally. So we need both a - spring, which is there in nearly any flashlight, but also a + spring. Why? Because the auto handgun releoads using part of the energy of the recoil. The recoil spring of my Glock G21 is 26Lbs. Recoil->26lbs stored->reload->26lbs released (well, not properly). But flashlight does not use recoil spring. It is bound to the frame, not to the slide. So we can get why it is SO important that both + and - terminals have to be spring equipped. Go figure what could happen if + terminal would be simply in direct contact with circuitry with no spring in between!!!

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
The value of more brightness levels and strobe levels is a preference, not an objective statement of superiority. Some people do bot want or need more levels, let alone strobe options. Likewise, the value of performance as you defined (brightness) is also subjective. Brighter is not always necessary, required for the end users tasks, or better.
Yep. I've never used a strobe in any useful way, and I doubt I ever will. (taps on his desk, just in case)

Electronics: just because the electronics do not provide your preference or definition of best does not mean they are not advanced. Others more technically inclined can reply here on this issue: but I have read on CPF much praise for the electronic genius of the circuitry in the Arc6.
The ability to recalibrate the driver to suit each individual emitter is evidence enough of how advanced the Arc6's circuitry is. I doubt small lights will ever reach a point where they draw more than 1.5 amps of power from a single battery, which means that as time moves on, the Arc6 could be retrofitted with new emitters until we're all dead and gone.

Support. It appears that support is not consistent; and in this regard I agree with that Ra has impeccable support. However, in my experience and others' Arc has provided excellent support so I do not believe this is a settled argument.
I'm not arguing with you, just stating my experience in this case: since I bought my Arc6, I've fiddled with it endlessly, replacing the emitter and the kilroy switch, and ultimately damaging the driver (though in an insignificant way it turns out). I've posted the results of my fiddling in the Arc forum (and I'm disappointed to see those results are no longer visible), and as a result Peter has recalibrated my Arc6 for the Luxeon emitter I installed for free, sent me a Luxeon-optimized reflector for free, sent me replacement springs and seals for free, and offered to fix the driver board *that I damaged* for free.

So at their best, Arc's service goes well beyond what any sane person would consider an expected level of support. I wish I knew why their support has dropped off recently, but since Arc is now a subsidiary of another company, I have to think that parent company is ultimately responsible for Arc's unresponsiveness of late.

Also, the Arc was deigned to be easy to swap the emitters. As far as I know, this is not nearly as easy on a Ra. This is also a factor many consider superior.
It's not as easy as just dropping in a new emitter, but it's about as easy as it could possibly be for a light that has the emitter epoxied into place. It could definitely be a hell of a lot harder to upgrade it, that's for sure.

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
I doubt small lights will ever reach a point where they draw more than 1.5 amps of power from a single battery, which means that as time moves on, the Arc6 could be retrofitted with new emitters until we're all dead and gone.

We're all dead and gone, then.
Lumapower D-Mini VX Ultra SST-50 draws well beyond. 1xIMR16340 configuration, of course (safety) . And it is a production light.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/256647&highlight=D-Mini

Now what comes next from you?:wave::devil:

Per-Sev

Enlightened
Daberti, lets see if anyone owns both a ARC 6 and a RA and lets see what light they like best. I can only comment on the ARC 6 and since you seem to dislike them so much I will assume you have never owned one, or you have and that is why you dislike them. So lets here from people who have owned both lights and get some hands on opinions. Remember please only post if you have owned a RA and a ARC 6 and give a side by side actual hands on review.
I was also wondering where you get the tritium vials that will fit the ARC 6 and how do you put them in do you have to epoxy them or do they have a adhesive strip on them. Thanks

Last edited:

Kgp

Newly Enlightened
Daberti, lets see if anyone owns both a ARC 6 and a RA and lets see what light they like best. I can only comment on the ARC 6 and since you seem to dislike them so much I will assume you have never owned one, or you have and that is why you dislike them. So lets here from people who have owned both lights and get some hands on opinions. Remember please only post if you have owned a RA and a ARC 6 and give a side by side actual hands on review.
I was also wondering where you get the tritium vials that will fit the ARC 6 and how do you put them in do you have to epoxy them or do they have a adhesive strip on them. Thanks

beam- arc6
tint - arc6
size - arc6
ui - tied
toughness - ra
runtimes - ra
menu options - ra
customer service - ra

I owned both for several months, the arc6 got more pocket time. It was smaller, lighter, and the beam and tint was the best I ever seen. Though level 7 turned the tint purple bad! The thing I didn't like the most besides cstomer service was the poor runtimes, and that damn buzzing noise. The thing ate batteries. After going thru what you went thru a while back, znd hearing all the horror stories , I sold it. What if it breaks. I would be in fear of never getting a replacement.

I since the went back to my ra clicky. The thing runs forever, built like a tank, never gets hot, no noise at all, no thermal management. I recently bought a gt model and high cri model too. Any question over the last year Henry answered personaly, and very quick. I complained of my early model clicky missing clicks, two days later I had a replacement tailcap in my mail box.

The customer service is what did it for me, and ra is the best.

Per-Sev

Enlightened
Well it looks like more drama to add to this post. I was programing my light and when I got to the third stage it got real hot and shut off and it was a new fully charged battery also. I opened it up a smoke came out of it. I put it in front of a fan to cool it off and then tried a new battery and as you probable guessed the light no longer works now and it smells burnt inside. I guess this light is toast. I will call Maria in the morning and send it back but I will not be getting a new one. I was very happy with how Maria stepped up and took care of me but I am tired of the hole thing now and will just get my money back. I am not going to rush into buying another light right away till this matter is taken care of, I will wait till my money has been credited back to my charge card. As to what light I will be buying in the future time will tell.:thinking:

fyrstormer

Banned
We're all dead and gone, then.
Lumapower D-Mini VX Ultra SST-50 draws well beyond. 1xIMR16340 configuration, of course (safety) . And it is a production light.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/256647&highlight=D-Mini

Now what comes next from you?:wave::devil:
I've seen that one. Apparently we all, including me, have implied limits for how much of one quality we're willing to sacrifice to get more of another -- such as runtime and build quality, which I believe you mentioned before. I owned a D-Mini VX Ultra MC-E for a few days; it was crazy-bright, yes, but it was awkwardly-shaped and the machining quality was crap compared to my Arc6. (the plastic internals were a particular turn-off.) I find it hard to believe you'd like it very much if you value the build quality of the Ra Clicky, and if you don't like the runtime on the Arc6, then you definitely don't like the runtime on the D-Mini VX Ultra. But then, since you sell them, I bet you love them. :poke:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.