OSTS TN31mb Monster Thrower

Ragnar66

Enlightened
Re: OSTS TN31mb Monster

Well, the fact that I can see the skyline and some lights in the far background of the 3rd shot tells me its not apples and apples at least.

:D

So either it was earlier in the night, and the sun had just set over there/was going to rise soon...or the last shot was more exposed.

The best thing is you just know there is no BS. He'd only put it out if it was worth it. I can't wait. The anticipation begins!!!!!!!!! :hairpull:

There is gonna be a point where your gonna have to brace yourself when the beam turns on........the first light with kick!

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened

LOL

What is it for the first two shots taken initially?
Can't read exif data on those.

I do not mean to imply anything at all. Only to answer the question on exposure. Longer exposures are needed the longer the distance. That's a necessity when using a camera at night.
The fact is, it's one helluva light in a small package and I doubt any of us could do it and do it well enough to turn it into production lights that look and work as good as factory lights. (of course all the machine shop guys could, but that's a given).

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic

LOL

I already voted with my wallet.

I would NEVER doubt Saab's version of reality.

That said, in trying to COMPARE the sets of pics...to gauge the difference in performance visually...IF the exposures etc, WERE the same, it would be, um, night and day.

What I expected was for the second pic to be as much brighter than the first pic, as the third pic was than the second...

If that makes ay sense?

nosobrite

Newly Enlightened

Wow what an improvement! Does anyone know if my Tenergy 2600 protected 18650's will work with this monster?

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Wow what an improvement! Does anyone know if my Tenergy 2600 protected 18650's will work with this monster?

They'll work...decent draw capacity. The 3400 mah cells out now would work better though....especially in run time.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Keep in mind that there is a reason I did not put the beamshots from last time with the ones I took of the TN31mb this time. They don't go together. I don't know how to read that exif data and couldn't figure out what I had done last time. So armed with the knowledge that I was shooting far too conservatively I adjusted up from where I thought I had been. I have noticing on the product pictures I took the other day and from beamshots I have taken that I cannot trust the screen on my camera to give me true exposure levels. The screen on the camera is over boosting the brightness when you look back at a picture you just took. This means when you get home everything looks much darker on the computer screen. It is my goal to provide as accurate pictures as I can and I think this last round was better.

I will just have to reshoot them over again once I get the stock TN31 in. I think there were clouds on the last shoot where there was not any the time before and that affects the way the sky appears one to the next. I can say the tint you see in those pics is accurate save for that 800' zoomed shot. It is a nice neutral tint of course but this new phosphor mix Cree is using seems to have more red in it so it looks really nice.

The beam is of course slightly smaller than the XML version but it is within the realms of what I deem acceptable for use as a lighting tool. I'd say the actual spot itself is about a 1 degree beam, maybe slightly more, which is indeed in itself acceptable for a light this powerful. The corona of course adds significantly to the width from there.

wonder if he has a batch made, or if it will really take close to a month to ship ?
There are some made but they were already spoken for before I opened the sale up here. They are for people who had ordered the XML version. I knew the release of this light was eminent so have held them until I could provide them with this new light. They also require new glass due to Thrunite QC issues. Once I receive the new glass they will be on their way. The new order of lights are supposed to have had better QC but I imagine I will still have some work to do to them. Mandy is working with me again so it should not be as long getting lights out as last time.

d337944

Enlightened

Fantastic! I almost pulled the trigger on an Olight SR95UT (on sale from an Aussie dealer) ... so happy I didn't!

Michael, can you please provide an estimate on the lumens on max please? Or if you haven't measured it yet, advise what the max current is? Just want to have a rough idea on what to expect ... besides the amazing throw that is!

Cheers

PhiDeltBeers

Newly Enlightened
I want this! Choosing my first flashlight is a tough choice!!! Any recs on whether this is a good start? I know it's a straight thrower and I'm also looking at the TK75. Decisions decisions. :thinking:

PhiDeltBeers

Newly Enlightened
This may very well be my first "good" flashlight! Still researching. Guess I'm the type a person who goes straight to the best instead of building up!

Ragnar66

Enlightened
I want this! Choosing my first flashlight is a tough choice!!! Any recs on whether this is a good start? I know it's a straight thrower and I'm also looking at the TK75. Decisions decisions. :thinking:

I have the tk75 and Saabs other version of this.............I'd take this. Amazing light. The throw is seriously mind-bending :hitit::hitit:

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic

You just discovered dating...and only know two girls...but they are both hot. One is hot like a super model, the top super model (Saab's), the other is hot like a regular model. BOTH will look great in the dark....

Its not like there's a WRONG decision at this point. You need to find what YOU find rewarding/love.

You are talking about two big lights...one that can see a small patch a long way off, and, one that will light up a football field and them some...but not past say ~ 400 yards or so.

You might want some lights that you might actually carry with you on a daily basis for example....in ADDITION to the floody and throwy hotness.

Last edited:

langham

Enlightened
The TK75 doesn't own any boasting rights, this light is easily the most powerful single LED light that you will find and not just for now this thing will out do the rest of the market for a long time to come. The only person that will beat this in the near future will be Saabluster when he puts out the next DEFT. That being said this light is a lot different in it's overall use department as it can be used for normal tasks as well with the lower modes. You wouldn't be disappointment in either, but there is something to be said about having the farthest throwing LED light in the world.

Parker VH

Enlightened
The TK75 doesn't own any boasting rights, this light is easily the most powerful single LED light that you will find and not just for now this thing will out do the rest of the market for a long time to come. The only person that will beat this in the near future will be Saabluster when he puts out the next DEFT. That being said this light is a lot different in it's overall use department as it can be used for normal tasks as well with the lower modes. You wouldn't be disappointment in either, but there is something to be said about having the farthest throwing LED light in the world.

That's why I'm wondering if there's another DEFT in the works???

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm guessing that what is learned/gleaned from the latest experiments with stock light mods...will be used to generate plans for the "next big thing".

I'm not even going to think that the 405k cd TN31 is the end of that evolution...Saab is always marching onwards.

The current throw monster will be a step to the top, not the top step.

There will never BE a top step.

PhiDeltBeers

Newly Enlightened
I really think I'm leaning toward this one as I like the UI better. Plus it looks like I can pop on a diffuser if I need more of a flood look. I live on a golf course that my wife and I enjoy walking in the dark. There are a LOT of deer around and I think a spot light would be better for that application. Also, with so many houses on the course, I'm afraid the TK75 might have and over abundance of spill that might irritate the neighbors.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I really think I'm leaning toward this one as I like the UI better. Plus it looks like I can pop on a diffuser if I need more of a flood look. I live on a golf course that my wife and I enjoy walking in the dark. There are a LOT of deer around and I think a spot light would be better for that application. Also, with so many houses on the course, I'm afraid the TK75 might have and over abundance of spill that might irritate the neighbors.

OH, I see, you wanted to pick ONE.....yeah, the TN31 would annoy the neighbors less, but you want to avoid putting this into the deer's eyes if you can too...shine it low enough to avoid blinding the critters. (Unless they are trespassing, then, of course, blind-away...) :devil: You would be able to SEE them a half mile away....if your eyes could normally see them at that range at least.

Last edited:

langham

Enlightened
I actually love these at close distances more than far distances. They are absolutely amazing, you can't go wrong with a onestopthrowshop or omglumens light.