OSTS TN31mb Monster Thrower

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds OK in principle, but I doubt anybody wants to get caught having the runt of the liter! :sigh: I've finally gotten my shipping notice for #1196 and it should be arriving by Wednesday or Thursday. I'm really hyped now. I wish I had the $$$ to get the Deft X as well, but I'm sure I'll be more than impressed with this baby.

In all actuality the true runts get culled so there are no real runts ever sent out. As I mentioned in a post just above I had to hold back two completed lights from the last batch as they just didn't perform where I think they should. This is a regular occurrence for us and is rather costly. Out of the first batch 20% were not up to what I decree as a reasonable variance. Even if people get a lower binned shipped light it should be kept well in mind the lengths we go to to see they reach that point and that their light is by no means "bottom of the barrel". ;)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
In all actuality the true runts get culled so there are no real runts ever sent out. As I mentioned in a post just above I had to hold back two completed lights from the last batch as they just didn't perform where I think they should. This is a regular occurrence for us and is rather costly. Out of the first batch 20% were not up to what I decree as a reasonable variance. Even if people get a lower binned shipped light it should be kept well in mind the lengths we go to to see they reach that point and that their light is by no means "bottom of the barrel". ;)

I think its a double edged sword...the reality between a light that is rated at 410 cd and 395 cd might not be that significant in use, but a light purchased because it was "The Best" makes people agonize over every little scrap of performance.

If its a pissing contest, and everyone is issued the pisser, and the measurements are POSTED, well, that can be awkward.

;)

Its probably best if the accuracy of the measurements is represented by a range...so that its at least theoretically POSSIBLE for any two delivered lights to actually perform the same.

Somewhat like IQ test scores. They tell the tested that the scores could be +/- 10 points on any given day....so the guy with a 95 and the guy with a 105 might have the same "actual" score (100 for example), or even be reversed, etc.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think its a double edged sword...the reality between a light that is rated at 410 cd and 395 cd might not be that significant in use, but a light purchased because it was "The Best" makes people agonize over every little scrap of performance.

If its a pissing contest, and everyone is issued the pisser, and the measurements are POSTED, well, that can be awkward.

;)

I don't sell the lights with the promise that it is THE best so anyone ordering it with that in mind is already starting off on the wrong foot. I simply sell the best lights. :D

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I don't sell the lights with the promise that it is THE best so anyone ordering it with that in mind is already starting off on the wrong foot. I simply sell the best lights. :D

LOL - I know, I voted with my wallet, many times.

:D

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast

this is really cool - i doubt any production light goes through this same type of QC... :twothumbs

Albert56

Newly Enlightened
I received my TN31mb yesterday. I've only had a chance to play with it briefly so far, but it blows my stock version out of the water in throw. Very tight hotspot, with relatively little spill. The warmer tint takes some getting used to for me, as almost all of my other lights are cool white, but the color rendition is nicer. When I have time and we get a mild night here in WI I'll try to post some beamshots.:)

hahoo

Enlightened
I received my TN31mb yesterday. I've only had a chance to play with it briefly so far, but it blows my stock version out of the water in throw. Very tight hotspot, with relatively little spill. The warmer tint takes some getting used to for me, as almost all of my other lights are cool white, but the color rendition is nicer. When I have time and we get a mild night here in WI I'll try to post some beamshots.:)

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Albert56

Newly Enlightened
Some beamshots plss

I'm waiting for more moderate temperatures and to find a place near the city with the expanse and lack of ambient light needed to do some decent shot comparisons between my stock TN31 and my TN31mb. Right now the nights are in the single numbers here and I don't feel like freezing my butt off! It won't hurt my feelings if some CPF'er in a warmer, rural location beats me to it, though.

Last edited:

rdrfronty

Enlightened
So any estimates for the next shipments? I'm really looking forward to get my hands on my light?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
We have flashlight play dates in the states too, at least in NJ.

I think extrapolating the order to delivery scheduled initially described puts me getting the light at the end of January/beginning of February...and its about 7º F here now. :banghead:

Last edited:

rufus001

Enlightened
So I just got a refund from the OSTS for $21.95. I had no idea what for. I read a little further down the email and realise he's refunding the postage on the T10 I just ordered. Because the TN31 I ordered a few weeks ago hasn't shipped I gather he will ship them together. I didn't ask him to do it as it didn't even occur to me. Now that's EXCELLENT customer service!!!! Though without him knowing it this has pushed me just a little bit closer to ordering his new DEFT-X so it's swings and roundabouts I guess. LOL!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Just give him the PIN# for your debit card and be done with it.