Our world through the eyes of a Thermal Imager

Entrope

Newly Enlightened
No longer maintaining threads on this forum due to personal reasons.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Awesome stuff, can't wait to see some of the flashlight applications of your new toy.

And congrats on resisting the urge to image yourself farting, sort of a prerequisite for thermal cam owners..

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
And here's the $60 version, homebuilt using -- a RGB flashlight! No kidding, this is amazing.

I remember the founder of Arc writing about various ideas for making flashlights communicate -- changing the output based on something happening at the user's end (like speaking aloud), and with a detector so you could point your flashlight at some other data source far off and have it pick up whatever it was doing to modulate its light beam as well -- 2 way communication by light modulation. Didn't happen (that I know of).

This is sort of halfway there

http://www.pbs.org/idealab/2012/01/...shlight-could-improve-home-insulation013.html

Parts list at the link.
http://publiclaboratory.org/tool/thermal-camera

Thermal Flashlight
The first approach results in a kind of "light painting" -- a color heatmap overlaid directly onto the scene. This is the simplest, cheapest, and to date, most effective way we have developed of measuring heat leaks or cool leaks indoors and outdoors. Simply put, the "flashlight" puts out red light if it's pointed at something hot (default 75 deg F or more) and blue light if it's pointed at something cold *(default 60 deg F or less):
Using a Thermal Flashlight
To capture the light painting over time, we have been using timelapse photography or GlowDoodle, as seen in the top image on this page ..."

Last edited:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx for sharing entrope! Which model are you using to take these?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I have a FLIR infrared camera I use for building inspections, and by coincidence, yesterday, I was about to shoot some pics of a flashlight or two warming up. I'm amazed that you were inspired to shoot IR images as well....except you DID it, and, you are artistic as well.

I'm more autistic than artistic...but if you would like me to contribute to the thread, I would be happy to add to the collection here.

aimxplode

Enlightened
entrope said:
sNaK9.jpg

Is that a Maserati?

Latest posts